Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have had FSD for 2 months or so, the novelty has definitely worn off. I probably use it less in the city than when I had just autopilot to follow the car in front. I got tired of the random signals, lane changes and indecisiveness. On the bright side, I found smart summon to be getting better. I noticed quite a few people staring at an empty car backing out of a parking spot so it could come get me at the entrance.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Now that I have had FSD for 2 months or so, the novelty has definitely worn off. I probably use it less in the city than when I had just autopilot to follow the car in front. I got tired of the random signals, lane changes and indecisiveness. On the bright side, I found smart summon to be getting better. I noticed quite a few people staring at an empty car backing out of a parking spot so it could come get me at the entrance.
Yep - here's hoping that 10.69 has some new, much improved functionality but that's probably optimistic. Self driving is hard! One thing I didn't internalize for the regular local driving like taking the dog to the park is that the car needs to know where we are going to give it the best chance. I'm not in the habit of entering the grocery store or the park when there is no question about how we are getting there so that's a (small) extra step. One thing I tweaked for city driving was disabling speed based lane changes since that seems like more of a value on the highway. The choices it made in local traffic were usually bad ones. Might turn it back on for a road trip.

Anyone get the new FSD build yet? Presumably it's going to employees first, then maybe US before Canada, but I'm hoping for some improvements. The release notes read some encouraging new features and performance. Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

Has anyone in Canada received their camera upgrade invite in the last few months or so ? I’m still waiting after several years and SC was even kind enough to escalate my case too. I doubt it haha but I’m hoping it’s possibly due to a switch to the new HW4 cameras . 🤔
I received my camera upgrades in May. Required two visits as mobile tech said he had the repeater cameras were not the right model. At any rate, the upgrade was done then. It was not an invite. I reached out to them and they said yes. That being said, I’m still waiting for the FSD Beta. My score is 98. Either they have enough testers, the software isn’t ready for upgraded vehicles or they didn‘t put in the right cameras… I say that because the image quality hasn’t really changed and there was the mess up mentioned above.

After using FSD extensively for about 2 months now on Ontario 400 series highways, 80 km rural routes and in my population 19,000 town I’ll offer some comments. Many of these are known issues and reported already.

- Basically zero issues on 400 series highways however I turned off auto lane change and command them myself with the turn signal. IMO the system makes to many unnecessary lane changes.

- On the 80 km roads it does a good job except approaching decelerating speed zones. After passing a 60 or 50 km sign doing 80-90 the car just coasts and doesn’t slow nearly fast enough. Its like there is no regen at all and my regen is set to high. Another thing I would like to see is for the car to start decelerating after passing the ‘60 kph ahead’ sign with the arrow so I don’t go blowing by the ‘60 begins’ sign at 90 kph.

- Around town it does great staying on any of the well marked roads and it handles ‘straight ahead’ stop sign/traffic light intersections really well including late green to amber traffic light changes. Again I command my own lane changes as it’s choices are often unnecessary.

- Where the system fails is turning left or right at traffic light and stop sign intersections. I’ve had to disconnect so many times I quit even trying. When it does work it had false starts, very jerky often violent steering inputs, hesitation, hard acceleration and inappropriate turning arcs. It’s basically trying to get itself rear ended at times…and I’m surprised it didn’t curb my wheels it gets so close.

- I have a roundabout I use on a well marked 80 km rural road. The reason it fails there is not it’s ability on the roundabout but it’s lack of ability to decelerate in time after passing the ‘60 km begins’ sign as described above. If I didn’t disconnect it wouldn’t make the turn and would understeer (pushing for the NASCAR guys…) and plow over the center of the roundabout.

- Another failure that I see constantly and has been reported already is on 2 lane roads with no centreline markings or road edge markings. The system favours the center of the road to a fault and requires frequent disconnects with oncoming traffic.

- The most dangerous fail I have seen a number of times is around town and the steering wheel suddenly and violently jerks to the right or left for no apparent reason when travelling in a straight line.

Bottom line for me so far? Give me Enhanced Autopilot and and the $2800+tax I paid for FSD back. (My 2018 had the $6600 EAP so my upgrade price to FSD was $2800+tax)

I’m the same guy that posted the above. In retrospect the $2800 included Autopilot 3 computer hard so maybe a good deal.

Just checked though and FSD is now $19,500 CDN. THAT’s NUTS!

With Tesla taking away radar I decided to jump back into the beta pool. I really was hoping to keep radar but I knew I would eventually want something in a future update so not updating was futile. Man it sucks to have to do the damn safety score again, I really hope I get lucky with the timing and can get back in fairly quickly.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah, it still sucks though. Way too many mistakes and dangerous maneuvers. Hard braking for no reason. Just annoying to use. Wish I could get a refund on it.
Sucks to hear. I was hoping for an improvement. Especially to justify the cost going to 20k now. Maybe that was done to prevent those that paid 8-12k from complaining 🙃

I'm at least hoping the new update doesn't drive 120km/h on offramps like the current version. I guess I'll find out tomorrow morning. Just finished installing, so will try it on my commute tomorrow.

Reactions: Damien99