Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, dug this thread back up 😝

Just got the latest FSD update. Lotta good improvements, a few edge cases still present, but I wanted to ask if anyone else is having their car camp in the passing lane on highways in FSD? It’s a little disconcerting. Occasionally it’ll go back into the right hand lane, but not as often as it should IMHO.
I was thinking of asking if anyone had received it yet. It seemed to be a little quiet since the rollout commenced (ie. I've not got it yet).

Could your situation (fast lane hogging) be a matter of how you've got FSD setup?

I was thinking of asking if anyone had received it yet. It seemed to be a little quiet since the rollout commenced (ie. I've not got it yet).

Could your situation (fast lane hogging) be a matter of how you've got FSD setup?

I'm on v11.3.3 and did a 2 hours round trip today. Very impressed by the highway behavior except for going back to its lane after passing a slower car. The decision to change lane when there was a slower car was pretty much the same I would have done. It also merge better in traffic IMO.

Sadly no big improvement in my small suburb of Montreal (south shore), it still can't see our speed bumps and tries to go over them at full speed 😮

Also it still goes in the bike lane when turning right at any intersection.

Let's hope the next round of release fixes these issues.

Apparently 11.3.4 has been detected downloading on Tesla staff cars earlier today.

We'll see when us Canadians get it.

Some reactions after 11.3.4 drive to and from work today:

Did not react to the speed bumps around me, still waiting for that feature.

Lane changing in heavy traffic is much more aggressive (in a good way). Will take a little getting used to vs how timid previous fsd builds were.

It did a much better job of staying in the HOV lane. NOA would never stay in HOV in Burlington, despite having the option checked to use HOV lanes.

Still wants to change lanes into a lane I know will end when it's going to make a right just beyond that lane ending (it doesn't 'think ahead' that it should just stay in the left lane since the road goes to 1 lane before the right turn is needed).

One thing I can tell I'm not going to like is on a highway drive with heavy traffic and HOV lanes. With previous builds it would try and take be off the highway, but I know the HOV would be quicker. With old AP (NOA off) I could just stay in the HOV. But single stack FSD is going to want to route me off the hwy. This will be annoying.

Overall, this is (so far) the biggest improvement vs any of the other updates/builds I've gotten in the last 9-ish months of having fsd beta.

With old AP (NOA off) I could just stay in the HOV. But single stack FSD is going to want to route me off the hwy.
Perhaps setting "Minimal Lane Changes" will help with this. You have to set it on every trip, though, since it turns off at the end of each drive. You can get to the setting easily by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right (which used to set the TACS and AP following distance).

Note that pressing the scroll wheel left/right will also change the FSD Profile between Chill, Average and Assertive, so make sure you leave it set the way you desire.

This new version is horrible on the highway. Every truck I pass it swerved so far left it hits the rumble strip. I had to take control constantly to avoid spitting loose rocks from the dirty part of the highway. People that drive like this are idiots and they programmed it in. Is it that hard to just go straight.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
Perhaps setting "Minimal Lane Changes" will help with this. You have to set it on every trip, though, since it turns off at the end of each drive. You can get to the setting easily by pressing the right scroll wheel left or right (which used to set the TACS and AP following distance).

Note that pressing the scroll wheel left/right will also change the FSD Profile between Chill, Average and Assertive, so make sure you leave it set the way you desire.
I'm pretty sure that only governs speed based lane changes, but the car will still change lanes to follow the route. Often the routing gets the HOV lane savings wrong.

For example last night it tried to take me off the highway to save 10 min of driving time, but I ended up cancelling the routing and re input my destination and forced it to take the route that stayed on the highway (which said it would take 10 min longer). It ended up taking me less time than getting off the highway.

So I think part of the problem is it isn't good at estimating the impact of an HOV lane when the rest of the traffic is slow. It has always done this but hasn't really affected anything. I always end up getting to work 5-15 min before the predicted arrival when I leave the house. Coming home is more of a mixed bag because sometimes the HOV lane slows down at night.

So, for now I'll just have to make sure the NAV selects the route that stays on the highway and disable the re routing option during the drive. Not the end of the world, but a little annoying.