Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - How is your Wh/km?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How on earth did you average 154Wh/km for any period of time? I've only ever seen 150's on a trip I take that is ~50km where I keep the speed under 70km/h on country roads with gentle acceleration.

I've averaged 189wh/km since last August with just under 20000km. For the first 3 months or so, until the cooler weather came, I averaged 154. The battery heat really kills the range on short trips, but if you switch to "range" mode the battery heat will not come on until -10C or so, saving that big initial hit on most cool days. The disadvantage is that regen is reduced or nil for a much longer time and power may also be reduced. "Range" also limits heater output.
If you can time the charge and preheat to be completed just at departure time, the battery will be warm to start and probably won't need heat. Also regen will not be limited as much if at all. Even with these techniques, the cold will really increase consumption, especially for the first few km.

oh its possible.... same way my other vehicles get super gas millage.

2002 Protege5 2.0L I4 = EPA Rated 22 | My Actual 26 (but ive been able to peak 30MPG in the city)
2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8L V6 = EPA Rated 17 | My Actual 24.5

i posted in some other thread about hypermiling and some crazy things you can do, but it comes down to this...

try and keep as close to 40 kph without causing problems, so if the speed limit is 80 maybe go 75
try not to change your speed
stopping is the worst thing you can do so anticipate light changes and maintain a little bit of momentum if possible
never use the brakes so you have to leave enough room for full regen braking
try to never use regen braking unless you are stopping, regen braking makes you loose 60% of your "invested" energy (its way better than the 100+% in ICE vehicles)

some guy thought i was better off just throwing more solar panels on my roof lol

oh its possible.... same way my other vehicles get super gas millage.

2002 Protege5 2.0L I4 = EPA Rated 22 | My Actual 26 (but ive been able to peak 30MPG in the city)
2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8L V6 = EPA Rated 17 | My Actual 24.5

i posted in some other thread about hypermiling and some crazy things you can do, but it comes down to this...

try and keep as close to 40 kph without causing problems, so if the speed limit is 80 maybe go 75
try not to change your speed
stopping is the worst thing you can do so anticipate light changes and maintain a little bit of momentum if possible
never use the brakes so you have to leave enough room for full regen braking
try to never use regen braking unless you are stopping, regen braking makes you loose 60% of your "invested" energy (its way better than the 100+% in ICE vehicles)

some guy thought i was better off just throwing more solar panels on my roof lol

Luckily you live in Calgary, so I don't have to worry about the chances of driving behind you :biggrin:

Luckily you live in Calgary, so I don't have to worry about the chances of driving behind you :biggrin:

haha i don't actually hold up traffic though, i just leave a little more room, like 3 seconds instead of the recommended 2.

In fact i've noticed that nobody actually saves time by driving fast in rush hour, i always catch up or pass people that were cutting in and out of lanes.

The second you hit a light 100% of whatever time you saved by speeding you loose, as well as the gas and brake pads.

After one year of driving in Delta, BC I experienced 193 Wh/km during the warmer six months of the year and 230 Wh/km the other half the year.....thus a 20% increase for heating battery and cabin during the winter.

Not just heating - the thicker cold air makes a huge difference to your Wh/km. Also given 230 you've got a pretty mild climate compared to here...

I've averaged 223 Wh/km over 42,000 km and 15 months. 21" tires in the summer and 19" in the winter. I've seen a swing in the averages between approx 200 in the summer and 250 in the winter. I try to preheat the battery pack in the winter as much as possible.

I've averaged 223 Wh/km over 42,000 km and 15 months. 21" tires in the summer and 19" in the winter. I've seen a swing in the averages between approx 200 in the summer and 250 in the winter. I try to preheat the battery pack in the winter as much as possible.

I have exactly the same here in southern Germany. But our winter was pretty warm with almost no snow. So this could change in the next years. I drove 16000km with 19" all the time in half a year.

I kind of like this Canadian version. Sure, the conversion is a simple multiplication, but to do it for every post over 97 pages is way too much work. Other than an occasional trip over the border, I haven't thought about distance in miles for decades.

Right, I like this conversation too. I was just thinking of Jeff who tracks everything would have better quality data if we all added our #'s there. As it is there are only 2 people from Ontario who have reported #'s...