Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada is being flooded with invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that Tesla doesn't STOP or slow down Model 3 sales in the US because of Canadian sales because: New Model S and X buyers would benefit from the tax benefit than model 3 owners would ...... in the long run.... and its my belief that model 3 buyers need ( and would benefit from ) the benefit of tax benefits more than model S and X owners. Why? Lets just face it...the average model S and X owner is more affluent than the average model 3 owner. People with less money by far benefit from savings opportunities than those who have more money. For example: lets say that Tesla totally stops making Model 3's in the US and starts selling exclusively in Canada for now. That would mean that the only people benefiting from the tax benefit would be model S and X buyers who would probably enjoy it, but in my opinion not as much as a model 3 buyer. Remember this benefit will run out after Tesla has sold "x" number of cars.

Either way..... the tax benefit wouldn't affect Tesla in any way....so why would they have a strategy concerning the tax benefit. Why would they care....which is why I don't believe they have an agenda concerning the benefit.

What I believe is happening is that Tesla is running out of people who wanted this version model 3 in the US and therefore are reaching out to the Canadian market....which makes all kinds of sense. If I can't get enough customers here....then sell my stuff over there.

Now......let Tesla actually produce a $35K version and watch the US floodgates open for US configurations. Or let Tesla produce the AWD Performance version and another set of floodgates will open. I just believe that Tesla is running out of customers for this version of the model 3.
Out of 500K ( foreign included) reservations....how many people wanted the current version of the Model 3? 1%? 15%? Not me.... I passed my opportunity to configure up....waiting for dual motor performance.

I agree with your assertion that the tax credit will matter more to the "average Model 3 buyer" than to the "average Model X/S buyer" but you're missing something on delaying the 200k and starting the tax credit phase out:

The further it's put off, the higher production will be and the more Model 3 buyers who will be eligible for it while it is available. They aren't slowing production at all, they're simply moving some of it to Canada to ensure the phase out isn't triggered until the 3rd quarter this year. At 5000 cars/week down the road that's nearly 60000 that will be able to get the full credit over the much lower number per quarter that would now. Now go back to our assumption that the Model 3 buyers will be more affected by the tax credit: You will see a higher order rate and almost certainly higher optioning of cars later in the year with the full tax credit available longer. Good for Tesla, good for its customers. Same number of cars produced.

As stated earlier, I'm a pre-reveal, in line at 10AM, linestander 40 miles from the factory. I haven't gotten my invite yet, as many other haven't either. Saying Tesla is running out of people to order at this point simply isn't accurate.

What I believe is happening is that Tesla is running out of people who wanted this version model 3 in the US and therefore are reaching out to the Canadian market....which makes all kinds of sense. If I can't get enough customers here....then sell my stuff over there.

The heck it can't.... I am awaiting my invite and I certainly would jump now with the full blown package.... Even with Full Self-Driving Hardware package.... and I'm not financing it!

So, you can't tell me that the USA market is drying up with the only option they are offering at the current time... Cause this forum is full of them!

But, that being said.... If Tesla can't get more Model 3's made per week, delaying ain't gonna help those looking for the credit no matter what the quarter....

Reactions: DR61 and McRat

Well, all I know is that there are plenty of folks on just this forum that would jump at the chance to by a M3LR right now. And two of my friends that waited in line would as well. So I highly doubt that "...they've run out of people that wanted this version..."

Well, all I know is that there are plenty of folks on just this forum that would jump at the chance to by a M3LR right now. And two of my friends that waited in line would as well. So I highly doubt that "...they've run out of people that wanted this version..."

I completely agree.... It's just that Tesla has chosen to let us wait based on the tax credit....

Reactions: DR61
Saying Tesla is running out of people to order at this point simply isn't accurate.

Well that's an understatement. :) "Tesla is running out of people to order" is a flat-Earther level of purposeful deception or mind-boggling ignorance.

Even if the rest of the outstanding US reservations (roughly 200K+) converted to purchase the LR+Black PUP at the same rate as the existing owners seem to have, that's still another 70K units of that single variant in the US.

Last edited:
I agree with your assertion that the tax credit will matter more to the "average Model 3 buyer" than to the "average Model X/S buyer" but you're missing something on delaying the 200k and starting the tax credit phase out:

The further it's put off, the higher production will be and the more Model 3 buyers who will be eligible for it while it is available. They aren't slowing production at all, they're simply moving some of it to Canada to ensure the phase out isn't triggered until the 3rd quarter this year. At 5000 cars/week down the road that's nearly 60000 that will be able to get the full credit over the much lower number per quarter that would now. Now go back to our assumption that the Model 3 buyers will be more affected by the tax credit: You will see a higher order rate and almost certainly higher optioning of cars later in the year with the full tax credit available longer. Good for Tesla, good for its customers. Same number of cars produced.

As stated earlier, I'm a pre-reveal, in line at 10AM, linestander 40 miles from the factory. I haven't gotten my invite yet, as many other haven't either. Saying Tesla is running out of people to order at this point simply isn't accurate.

Tesla is following is rollout promises to a "T" Tesla stated that first of all it would roll out the Model 3's to its employees first. They did that. Keep in mind that there were probably employees that didn't want that model/version. Some of them might be waiting for the Dual Motor or the $35k version. Soo....they probably aren't finished with all of their employees YET. As soon as the $35k version rolls out ( or the Dual Motor ) they will go back and let their employees go first.
My point being.....if they are following their word...they have exhausted their employee base "for the CURRENT model". Do ALL employees have their model 3's? NO.

I'll state it again. WITHOUT slowing production.....I believe they are exhausting the currently provided model 3 version in the US and is now selling it in Canada because of the profit margins of that version. That's my belief. Yes...production is still up because there are people who haven't received the current version in the US or Canada yet....however......just like with the employees.....this current version has been delivered to every employee that wanted one.

NOW....when they exhaust all of the US with the current version and keep production high and start delivering thousands of model 3's to Canada......US buyers are still going to be receiving Model S and X.....who will be getting the tax benefits. They currently don't have another version of model 3's to offer the US or anyone else.

Tesla is following is rollout promises to a "T" Tesla stated that first of all it would roll out the Model 3's to its employees first. They did that. Keep in mind that there were probably employees that didn't want that model/version. Some of them might be waiting for the Dual Motor or the $35k version. Soo....they probably aren't finished with all of their employees YET. As soon as the $35k version rolls out ( or the Dual Motor ) they will go back and let their employees go first.
My point being.....if they are following their word...they have exhausted their employee base "for the CURRENT model". Do ALL employees have their model 3's? NO.

I'll state it again. WITHOUT slowing production.....I believe they are exhausting the currently provided model 3 version in the US and is now selling it in Canada because of the profit margins of that version. That's my belief. Yes...production is still up because there are people who haven't received the current version in the US or Canada yet....however......just like with the employees.....this current version has been delivered to every employee that wanted one.

NOW....when they exhaust all of the US with the current version and keep production high and start delivering thousands of model 3's to Canada......US buyers are still going to be receiving Model S and X.....who will be getting the tax benefits. They currently don't have another version of model 3's to offer the US or anyone else.
Folks are trying to tell you they haven't exhausted demand. They are shifting to Canada to try to save the US tax break as much as they can. Which would align with the site saying delivery of new S and X won't happen until June. Of course we won't know for sure that has worked until they release Q1 numbers and in May when we see the approximate April US deliveries from insideevs.

Folks are trying to tell you they haven't exhausted demand. They are shifting to Canada to try to save the US tax break as much as they can. Which would align with the site saying delivery of new S and X won't happen until June. Of course we won't know for sure that has worked until they release Q1 numbers and in May when we see the approximate April US deliveries from insideevs.
I understand what folks are trying to say. However they aren't listening either.

If we were to have this conversation very slowly...I would start out by asking a question:

Has Tesla exhausted selling this version of Model 3 to their employees? In other words....Has every employee that wanted this version been able to get theirs? Is Tesla done with their employees for this version?

Last edited:
Garlan this is what they are saying....

If Tesla hits the tax credit this coming quarter by shipping all the cars to the US at a production rate of roughly 3000/week average over Q2 and Q3 then that means 72k Model 3 owners get the rebate. If Tesla postpones and ships most cars to Canada and can push the 200k cutoff into Q3 and the production rate is say an average of 4000 over a week Q3 and Q4 then that means 96k Model 3 owners get the rebate. Plus if they can release the SR battery in Q4 then that means some will also get the 35k car for 27.5k.

With that said I don't for a second think that they are short on demand for the current version. They are just scratching the surface. I know personally at my work 5 Model 3 reservation holders. I am the only one who has configured AND no one has their car either so that means only 20% of the people at my work that want the first production model 3 have been able to actually order it.

Guys give Garlan a break. He's at his mental limit, and very hung up on richer people getting a rebate that he is unlikely to be able to receive . And he's right. This plan helps model s,x and high end 3s get the full rebate, but there won't be much left by the time they are able to build a base car next year.
However Garlan that does not mean that I'm wrong . Tesla is protecting the rebate because helping their rich customers benefits the company with more sales.

Has Tesla exhausted selling this version of Model 3 to their employees? In other words....Has every employee that wanted this version been able to get theirs? Is Tesla done with their employees for this version?
The statement above mine by ummagood, perfectly sums up my response, but I'll add....yes I believe every employee might have already been invited, they probably have exhausted employee demand for the versions available now. However, that does not translate to all US reservations now being able to configure, and choosing to hold their place in line, therefore there still could be demand for the current version as shown by the informal antidotal response here.

To respond very slowly, If all employees have been invited, which I believe they have, and there are no more employee orders rolling through, which I believe is a very small number now, then your assumption is correct... for employees. All US reservations haven't been invited, so we don't know that demand has dried up for current configurations.

I believe the Canadian push is less about extending rebates in the US as it is about grabbing rebates in Canada while they still exist. If the cost of the car to Ontarians is suddenly $14,000.00 more, what % would cancel? That’s why Tesla has an EV rebate strategy. For Tesla’s bottom line, the US rebates are what they are. The Canadian ones have a high probability of vanishing.

Garlan this is what they are saying....

If Tesla hits the tax credit this coming quarter by shipping all the cars to the US at a production rate of roughly 3000/week average over Q2 and Q3 then that means 72k Model 3 owners get the rebate. If Tesla postpones and ships most cars to Canada and can push the 200k cutoff into Q3 and the production rate is say an average of 4000 over a week Q3 and Q4 then that means 96k Model 3 owners get the rebate. Plus if they can release the SR battery in Q4 then that means some will also get the 35k car for 27.5k.

With that said I don't for a second think that they are short on demand for the current version. They are just scratching the surface. I know personally at my work 5 Model 3 reservation holders. I am the only one who has configured AND no one has their car either so that means only 20% of the people at my work that want the first production model 3 have been able to actually order it.
Lets say your theory is correct and Tesla postpones and ships model 3's to Canada........

Who is getting the Tesla rebate during the postponement?

Last edited: