Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada is number 5 in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the source of that data? It looks like it may be quite accurate - 53 is the correct count for Tesla Roadster IIRC.
That's from the FleetCarma Q3 report. Found here: Electric Vehicle Sales In Canada, Q3 2017

Oh - and I saw one of the 27 Ontario Roadsters at 7:50am this morning at Wellington & York in downtown TO - Blue with black trim and roof panels (I think).

It looked kind of like this - too dark for glacier blue and too light for the midnight blue
magnetic_blue-jpg.117013

Last edited:
I'd love to see the methodology used in that list that puts China at #2 when the majority of electricity there is produced by unscrubbed coal fired power plants. Teslas there have a carbon footprint not much different than an ICE if you follow the charging cable to the source.
Okay, not totally sure about China and how much scrub-less plants pollute versus the ones in North America.

But here in Alberta with our coal-heavy mix, a Model S will produce 2/3 of the carbon emissions of a 2003 Honda Accord to travel the same distance. I ran the numbers using my dad's detailed fuelling logs from the last ~13 years of gassing up. (Also shocking how much money has been burned in that engine!) Alberta uses a particularly dirty type of coal as well, and the S is a somewhat larger/heavier vehicle than an Accord, and yet it still came out ahead. Just my $0.02.

here in Alberta with our coal-heavy mix, a Model S will produce 2/3 of the carbon emissions of a 2003 Honda Accord to travel the same distance

Or you could buy BullFrog power which will force renewable energy on the grid to match your consumption. We do that here in Ontario, even though the grid here is 50x lower emissions than yours.

Sodexo Canada partners with Bullfrog Power on carbon reduction targets

This way, you are absolutely charging an EV on 100% renewable power if you are OK with the reality of what BullFrog offers.

Reactions: int32_t and EinSV
Meant to include this link:
How it Works

BullFrog ensures the grid is fed with renewable to cover your usage, but they don't feed your house directly, so you need to understand and agree with the approach (like my family have for 6+ years).
Hey, looks cool to me. 450 kWh a month … that's a fair bit of coal offset there! I like the Bullfrog concept — clearly their flexible approach reduces the barrier to entry into renewable energy.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Our usage here in Ontario is 90% super off peak at 2c/kWh and average CO2 intensity of 8g CO2/kWh of production in the overnight period according to
Gridwatch

Not only is the electricity super cheap, it's nearly CO2 free as well, when charging between midnight and 4 AM like we do.

Of course, our daytime peak is 24c/kWh, but like I said, we only use 10% at mid peak or peak, the majority is overnight.

Hey, looks cool to me. 450 kWh a month … that's a fair bit of coal offset there! I like the Bullfrog concept — clearly their flexible approach reduces the barrier to entry into renewable energy.
Atco Energy also has a 100% green option that they say will result in your power coming from only renewables (Solar, Wind, Hydro). I believe it adds $.02/kWh to the normal rate.

Our usage here in Ontario is 90% super off peak at 2c/kWh and average CO2 intensity of 8g CO2/kWh of production in the overnight period according to
Gridwatch

Not only is the electricity super cheap, it's nearly CO2 free as well, when charging between midnight and 4 AM like we do.

Of course, our daytime peak is 24c/kWh, but like I said, we only use 10% at mid peak or peak, the majority is overnight.
You can't actually get this $0.02 super off-peak rate with Toronto Hydro yet, can you? You must be in one of the nearby areas that is part of the pilot project for this rate.

Teslas there have a carbon footprint not much different than an ICE if you follow the charging cable to the source.

Repeatedly studies have shown even if the electricity comes from coal, electric cars are cleaner than gasoline.

China's Electric Vehicles Run on Coal! Yes, But ...

I do note you use the words "not much". Those types of qualifiers are usually used as an "out" when arguments are shown to prove the statement otherwise wrong, since the focus then shifts to what "not much" means. I won't be playing that game. The future is fully electric for vehicles -- while at the same time we work on making the power grids have more renewables in all countries. Thus, even EVs that are burning coal now (depending on where you live) will be able to take advantage of this, as only one example of what is happening world-wide:

China Just Built A 250-Acre Solar Farm Shaped Like A Giant Panda

In my view, your "not much" is wrong in itself, but it goes completely out the door as these and other renewables come online to add power to grids all over the world. Those people who rely on coal for power, and who you told "Teslas there have a carbon footprint not much different than an ICE" will have no choice but to continue to burn oil. I see your comment as akin to telling a person to buy a horse and buggy when the automobile came out since there's very few gas stations. Then gas stations sprung up everywhere and those people were on the wrong side of history -- aside from being stuck with an outdated mode of transport.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric