Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada is number 5 in the world?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how they calculate this and if they take into account the source of the electricity generation in each location? An EV in Ontario or Quebec saves a lot more CO2 than an EV in Alberta since Alberta still uses lots of coal and other hydrocarbons to generate electricity. Do they account for that?

They also use a very weird city categorization. It shows Toronto, North York and Willowdale as separate cities. Willowdale is not much more than a neighbourhood in North York and North York is now a part of Toronto. They probably use your city of registration for your MyTesla account and that may come from the Canada Post database which can still use old place-names, like Willowdale, that may not have existed as legally incorporated towns or cities for decades.

I wonder how they calculate this and if they take into account the source of the electricity generation in each location? An EV in Ontario or Quebec saves a lot more CO2 than an EV in Alberta since Alberta still uses lots of coal and other hydrocarbons to generate electricity. Do they account for that?
Calgary uses ZERO coal to generate electricity now. 14% renewables. Not sure about Edmonton.
It was 100% coal in 2001.

I am not an expert on electricity generation but I believe that generation is more regional, not city-by-city. While Calgary may not have any coal plants, there may be coal plants supplying the Alberta grid so any incremental electricity demand in Calgary likely means that coal or natural gas is being burned somewhere in the province to generate electricity.

The Energy Alberta website states:
About 41 percent of Alberta’s installed electricity generation capacity is from coal and almost 40 percent from natural gas. Alberta also uses water, wind, biomass and waste heat as forms of electricity generation.
So that means that over 80% of the electricity comes from hydro-carbons.

Contrast this to Ontario where from 9-10 this morning 57% was from nukes, 28% from hydro, 11% from wind and 4% from natural gas. Quebec has a very high percentage from hydro.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I am not an expert on electricity generation but I believe that generation is more regional, not city-by-city. While Calgary may not have any coal plants, there may be coal plants supplying the Alberta grid so any incremental electricity demand in Calgary likely means that coal or natural gas is being burned somewhere in the province to generate electricity.

Contrast this to Ontario where from 9-10 this morning 57% was from nukes, 28% from hydro, 11% from wind and 4% from natural gas. Quebec has a very high percentage from hydro.
Sad but true. :(

I'd love to see the methodology used in that list that puts China at #2 when the majority of electricity there is produced by unscrubbed coal fired power plants. Teslas there have a carbon footprint not much different than an ICE if you follow the charging cable to the source.

They also use a very weird city categorization. It shows Toronto, North York and Willowdale as separate cities. Willowdale is not much more than a neighbourhood in North York and North York is now a part of Toronto. They probably use your city of registration for your MyTesla account and that may come from the Canada Post database which can still use old place-names, like Willowdale, that may not have existed as legally incorporated towns or cities for decades.
Snobs from North York/Toronto don't want to be associated with say Jane and Finch, also in North York. Calling your city Willowdale is a way to make that distinction.

And my little town of Stouffville Ontario is the top in Canada per capita! Woo!!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_8a97.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_8a97.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 66
Snobs from North York/Toronto don't want to be associated with say Jane and Finch, also in North York. Calling your city Willowdale is a way to make that distinction.
Possibly, but I doubt that is the case. I am guessing it is more of Tesla cross-referencing your address with Canada Post and it changing your city. I live in Scarborough and I generally enter Toronto for my address but sometimes it gets changed to Scarborough in this way. I don't really care but the legal municipality that I live in is Toronto.

They are starting to add a lot of renewables but they are still building a ton of coal plants

Let's give them a bit more credit than "starting to add".

China leads the world in GWh deployment of solar and wind. Full stop.
Solar power by country - Wikipedia

China is crushing the U.S. in renewable energy

China is betting big on renewable energy. It pledged in January to invest 2.5 trillion yuan ($367 billion) in renewable power generation -- solar, wind, hydro and nuclear -- by 2020.

Reactions: Jaff

Feelling extremely fortunate in Quebec to have more than 99% of our electricity from Hydro :) we are also have the most EVs in Canada. Makes a lot of sense to have EVs here, cheaper electricity and non-pollutant:
Leading the energy revolution