Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - LTE upgrade and travelling to the States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed over time that Tesla is doing less and less via Ranger. Montreal in particular doesn't like sending out Rangers; they've told me certain types of service cannot be done outside of the shop; meanwhile out west Rangers were doing exactly that service.

Wow, I have to say that is just a foreign concept to me. Where I live the service is incredibly unreliable. I can be sitting in my driveway in the city and not be able to access anything. Changing the scale on a map usually means waiting 10-20 seconds for the map to be redrawn. If it even loads entirely. Streaming music sometimes works, sometimes you have to wait 10 seconds... or a couple of minutes... before it connects and downloads the next song.

It's great when it works, but it rarely works. I live in Victoria, BC. I suspect it might be roaming to the U.S. (across the strait of Juan de Fuca)

I suspect you are correct.

I am based in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, also a border city. My previous 2014 Model S with a 3G radio intermittently had reception problems, likely due to roaming onto AT&T towers across the border.

I upgraded to a new P85D last month, and the LTE radio has been very unreliable, far worse than the prior 3G radio. Most of the time there is no reception at all, despite being in close proximity to LTE/3G cell sites. Rebooting screens does nothing. Pulling the touchscreen fuse, as mentioned in other threads, temporarily re-associates the cellular radio with Canadian cell towers, but once the car is close enough to a US cell site, it switches over and refuses to switch back. If the car is close enough, you can get a weak 3G signal. The rest of the time the car displays no signal of a weak edge signal.

I have talked to Tesla service a number of times, they say they are 'aware' of the problem, but to date no resolution despite 3 new FW versions in 4 weeks.

Likely worth it to you then. For me, 3G is working great and I haven't even been having serious dropout issues like others have reported. I'm almost afraid to jinx it by touching it!

My daily run along the 407 has a semi frequent blackout area just near 400/407, and maps load very slow, and typically only when I am demo'ing the abilities, I do keep my maps on sat view which burns more data. Never had an issue with slacker however (other than the normal hiccups)

Went over the Peace Arch crossing and lost LTE signal in Blaine last week. Luckily I know where I'm going without gps, but sucks without knowing where chargers are. Hit my first supercharger in Burlington WA, and found it without gps.

Wow that's timely! My car is being picked up at my work tomorrow for the LTE upgrade. I'm cancelling it and it won't be happening until someone who gets it done tells me it works in the States.

Wow that's timely! My car is being picked up at my work tomorrow for the LTE upgrade. I'm cancelling it and it won't be happening until someone who gets it done tells me it works in the States.

I thought there had been at least a couple of posts from Canadians with LTE claiming it worked just fine in the US. I was surprised to see this post by @dmd2005. I wonder if it's just some sort of config issue that Tesla could see to?

I thought there had been at least a couple of posts from Canadians with LTE claiming it worked just fine in the US. I was surprised to see this post by @dmd2005. I wonder if it's just some sort of config issue that Tesla could see to?

I've been the US several times with LTE working just fine. Actually, much better than 3G ever worked.