TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canada - Model 3 - Wifi update - anyone?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canuck, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I'd really like to connect my 3 to the wifi at my cabin (since there's no cell coverage) and I've read here that an update allows for that. Has anyone in Canada taken an update that allows their 3 to connect to wifi? Mine took an update recently -- but it didn't have it -- so I'm wondering if it's just a US thing only -- at least for now anyway?

2. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Yes 24.7 has wifi

• Informative x 1
  3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Good to know. Mine's still on 21.9. Did you get the update over the air or at service and if it was over the air when did you get it? Thanks.

4. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

I got 24.7 at the service centre

• Informative x 1
  5. Phantom3

Phantom3 Member

Service center for me too

• Informative x 1
  6. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I have 24.1 which was the first build that enabled it.

7. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I assume you also got it at service (or with the vehicle if you just got your 3) and not as an over the air update?

8. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I got it as an OTA update.

• Informative x 2
  9. eros

eros Member

Got wifi, and im on 24.1

• Informative x 2
  10. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

Still no update here. Seems like this one has been paused.

• Informative x 1
  11. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

None here either. I'll try getting within range of a service centre's wifi network and see if the update gets pushed to me.

12. gbertsch

gbertsch Member

When people are writing "at the service centre", does that mean i can drive there and associate to WiFi from the parking lot to perform the update to 24.1?

13. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

no you cant, because your car doesn't have wifi enabled, for you to connect to their wifi.

My service tech had to push it to my car.

14. thesteve

thesteve Member

I had a mobile service technician over to fix an issue and asked to push the update. Sure enough later that day it was updated on my driveway

15. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Bertsch,

When people say they got the update at the service center - It is usually the car is in for some type of service.
    One of the things Tesla does during service visits it to check the software in your car...
    If it is a level or two behind what is current, they will update the software during your visit.
    There is some variability whether they apply the update or not...
    If they have "pushed" an update into your car you should see the "Alarm clock" at the top of your display
    which indicates there is a software update in your car - waiting for you to instruct the car to apply it.

Shawn

16. gbertsch

gbertsch Member

17. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

Just curious - What is the benefit of having WIFI? I got it as OTA and connected with my home WIFI.

Only way it can be used is on the road when LTE is not working and you have cell phone or data card from other providers which can be helpful.

I can’t think of anything else

18. ShawnA

ShawnA Member

Hi Viv,

As long as you own your car there will be a near continuous stream of data updates.
    The sheer size of most of them would choke the cellular networks and cost you, me, and Tesla very large amounts of money to
    deliver that amount of data by the cellular network...

200,000 cars delivered, shipped or manufactured with nearly 400,000 more owed to customers with updates we thought were
    large, the map updates, I can only imagine the size of the FSD (if and when we get it) and other updates to a fleet this large by cellular...
    I would not want to pay that bill...

Shawn

PS - That's why they are asking customers past July 1 to pay for data.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

For example, I have very poor LTE coverage at home. So when I'm trying to pre-condition my car, the app sometimes takes several tries to connect to the car. Now that I'm able to use wifi, that issue is pretty much negated. It will also download updates more seamlessly if my car has been queued up to receive them while it is parked at home.

Also when going to the cottage where there is very little cell coverage as well, I can still send commands to the car over wifi.

As of July 1 as well, anyone who purchases a Tesla and does not opt for the premium connectivity services after the free trial can only received software updates over wifi.

I'm also pretty sure wifi capabilities are turned off when you're driving.

• Informative x 1
  20. anderslangen

anderslangen Member

I hope this isn't the case as I was hoping to make my cell phone a hotspot for the car while driving through spotty coverage areas as my cell does a much better job staying connected.