Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Model 3 - Wifi update - anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also still on 21. Picked up the car on June 1, had on over the air update within the first week of ownership. Nothing since then. And our Model X which sit right next to it in the garage has had two more updates since then. Go figure?

When my car was in for service last week, they updated my car.

I asked them at the time why I had suddenly stopped receiving OTA updates as typically I was always one of the first to get them.

The service tech told me that Tesla switched to wifi updates only. He said it was stupid because the majority of Model 3 owners don't have the new wifi update in order to get wifi updates lol.

idk how accurate this information is mind you... but thought I would share this with the class.

When my car was in for service last week, they updated my car.

I asked them at the time why I had suddenly stopped receiving OTA updates as typically I was always one of the first to get them.

The service tech told me that Tesla switched to wifi updates only. He said it was stupid because the majority of Model 3 owners don't have the new wifi update in order to get wifi updates lol.

idk how accurate this information is mind you... but thought I would share this with the class.

Ok I'mstill on 21.9 and my update coincided with me bring in my 3 for the break squeak issue. My LTE connection to my car is very spotty, cuts out regularly around the GTA. So has anyone just tried parking in front of a service center to see if they will catch the update via wifi?

Ok I'mstill on 21.9 and my update coincided with me bring in my 3 for the break squeak issue. My LTE connection to my car is very spotty, cuts out regularly around the GTA. So has anyone just tried parking in front of a service center to see if they will catch the update via wifi?

Haven't tried it but worth a shot - I'm a few minutes away from the Oakville centre so I'll try it one of these days.

Just downloaded the 26.1 update?! I didn't even get the 24.1 update and went straight to this? Reading about it online - something about the horn honking when the car locks.

Edit: Yes - you can enable the horn to honk when you walk away or lock the car. No more needing to look for the sideview mirrors to fold to know the car is locked.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Just curious - What is the benefit of having WIFI? I got it as OTA and connected with my home WIFI. Only way it can be used is on the road when LTE is not working and you have cell phone or data card from other providers which can be helpful. I can’t think of anything else

There's no cell phone coverage at my cabin. If I want to leave and charge to 100% before I do, I have to go out to the car to set it. Plus, my wife likes to see when I arrive safe and sound and she can see the car parked at our cabin -- but not until I get the update.

I actually won't have it connect to my wifi at home where there's cell coverage. I stopped doing that years ago with my S since I can't get certain stations on Tune-In unless it's routed through Tesla's cell server -- like CNN -- and if I'm listening to it, I don't like it to cut off as I pull into my garage -- then possibly have connection issues when I leave, although fortunately that's mostly been solved now.

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
I just got version 26 today, (the lock sound update). I went from 21.9, so I also got the wifi, cabin overheating protection , and speed limiter. I hope it addressed some behind the scenes issues as well, like phone connections, or lte connectivity...

Never had a problem with phone connectivity but just today my LTE dropped where I usually get good signal and didn’t come back until I left the car for dinner and came back to it.

For example, I have very poor LTE coverage at home. So when I'm trying to pre-condition my car, the app sometimes takes several tries to connect to the car. Now that I'm able to use wifi, that issue is pretty much negated. It will also download updates more seamlessly if my car has been queued up to receive them while it is parked at home.
Also when going to the cottage where there is very little cell coverage as well, I can still send commands to the car over wifi.

Tony, did you sign on to your home wifi network in your Model 3 any way differently from the usual procedure one follows on a smartphone/laptop? I have a pretty strong signal in the garage, which the Model 3 picks up right away, I sign on, the green check arrow comes up to indicate password authentication acceptance, but then the signal gets dropped right away too, with message displayed "unable to join the network". Same thing at hotspots at coffee shops etc. around the city. I have not been able to join any hotspot or my home network since the download a week ago. Any suggestions before I end up calling the service centre?

My wifi disconnects from my home as soon as i put the car in reverse

Yes, same here. I also tried hitting the icon like I do in my S while driving to see available wifi networks but it doesn't let you do that either, and you get a message saying unavailable while driving, or something like that. I guess they're prepping people to pay Tesla if you want traffic data while driving since you can't tether to your phone or a portable hotspot unless parked, which defeats the purpose. I'm glad I got mine before they start charging for it. Relying on your phone here is asking for a STAGGERING $2000 PENALTY FOR DISTRACTING DRIVING IS NOW IN EFFECT ACROSS BC.

I have not been able to join any hotspot or my home network since the download a week ago. Any suggestions before I end up calling the service centre?

I assume you tried rebooting?

Tony, did you sign on to your home wifi network in your Model 3 any way differently from the usual procedure one follows on a smartphone/laptop? I have a pretty strong signal in the garage, which the Model 3 picks up right away, I sign on, the green check arrow comes up to indicate password authentication acceptance, but then the signal gets dropped right away too, with message displayed "unable to join the network". Same thing at hotspots at coffee shops etc. around the city. I have not been able to join any hotspot or my home network since the download a week ago. Any suggestions before I end up calling the service centre?

Hey, no issues here. It connected to my home wifi on the first try. My access point is mounted on the wall right on the other side of the garage in the house. I connected to my network using the normal prompts on the car. I'd suggest an MCU reboot and try again if you haven't already.

Hey, no issues here. It connected to my home wifi on the first try. My access point is mounted on the wall right on the other side of the garage in the house. I connected to my network using the normal prompts on the car. I'd suggest an MCU reboot and try again if you haven't already.
Yup, tried reboots, both w/ steering buttons and the screen selection. No fix. Guess the SC it is.

Yes, same here. I also tried hitting the icon like I do in my S while driving to see available wifi networks but it doesn't let you do that either, and you get a message saying unavailable while driving, or something like that. I guess they're prepping people to pay Tesla if you want traffic data while driving since you can't tether to your phone or a portable hotspot unless parked, which defeats the purpose. I'm glad I got mine before they start charging for it. Relying on your phone here is asking for a STAGGERING $2000 PENALTY FOR DISTRACTING DRIVING IS NOW IN EFFECT ACROSS BC.
I assume you tried rebooting?

Yes, no difference.

Reactions: akidesir