Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to distract from all the delivery excitement over here, but the luxury tax was a hot topic in this thread a month or two ago. The gov is accepting feedback until September 30. I sent them an email, and if you don't mind my saying so, you should too!

I made the case that expensive purchases (like a Model S) should be encouraged because these cutting-edge purchases drive innovation, which lowers the cost for everyone else down the road. Good for everybody? I think so. If the bloke can afford the car, let him buy it! Tax based on income, not on what we choose to spend our hard-earned money on.

The discussion started around here, if you want to read what others were sending in.
Or don’t vote for the manchild that got there because his father was Prime Minister. That could work too. 🤷‍♂️

Or don’t vote for the manchild that got there because his father was Prime Minister. That could work too. 🤷‍♂️
My response:
In response to your request for feedback regarding the proposed luxury tax, I would like to address my concerns over the proposed $100k threshold for cars. While I don't disagree with the idea of a luxury tax, I would proposed the following modifications:
1) Fully Electric Battery EVs should be exempt, or have a higher threshold than gasoline powered vehicles. This would be more consistent with the Government Climate objectives, especially given that most $100k+ gasoline-powered vehicles tend to have greater fuel consumption as well. Battery EV's are naturally more expensive that gasoline powered cars, no need to make them even more expensive
2) The threshold must change every year with inflation, and this should be included as part of the legislation

Thank you for the opportunity to respond

My response:
In response to your request for feedback regarding the proposed luxury tax, I would like to address my concerns over the proposed $100k threshold for cars. While I don't disagree with the idea of a luxury tax, I would proposed the following modifications:
1) Fully Electric Battery EVs should be exempt, or have a higher threshold than gasoline powered vehicles. This would be more consistent with the Government Climate objectives, especially given that most $100k+ gasoline-powered vehicles tend to have greater fuel consumption as well. Battery EV's are naturally more expensive that gasoline powered cars, no need to make them even more expensive
2) The threshold must change every year with inflation, and this should be included as part of the legislation

Very similar to my response, the more voices the better!

Reactions: Bobchahal
My response:

I agree, at first I thought EVs were gonna be exempted but no. If we could at least get this it would be a great win. Not having a new tax at all would be even better.

Friend of mine just sent me those pictures from SC Oakville enjoy.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 46