Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've asked my SA to be reassigned a 2022 VIN. He said my current 2021 VIN is stuck in Fremont anyway waiting for a firmware update. He warned me there's a high chance the luxury tax would apply.
I would think that if delivery takes place this year it won't be applied - other manufacturers are make '22s, so why would Tesla be any different? I hope it works out for you.

Meanwhile, I await ANY word on my Model X that was scheduled for this December when I converted to a 6 seater to get priority. I'm holding my breath that it still happens as I'm also wanting to avoid that luxury tax. 5 weeks left is leaving me antsy.

Did you get the exact same configuration or did you have to compromises
Exact same config. The only thing that happened was:
1. The vin disappeared from my profile
2. The profile no longer said "2021 Tesla Model S" and instead said "Tesla Model S"
3. 3 days later, email from SA saying I have a new VIN + delivery appointment
4. Profile now shows 2022 Tesla Model S

I posted the VIN earlier and the gang confirmed its a fresh one, so I don't think its reject. Plus, SA can ping the car and it shows it is in Fremont, not another service location

Reactions: mantx001
Does anyone have ideas on how to get the car home when taking delivery mid-winter? SA says the car is equipped with high performance summer tires and, in Ontario, cannot be legally driven on a public road in December - only inside the private service center lot.

Average temperate mid December is -14c with a high chance of snow on the ground.

Wtf do I do? Ship rims and tires to them and have the service center swap them? Hire a flat bed?

Does anyone have ideas on how to get the car home when taking delivery mid-winter? SA says the car is equipped with high performance summer tires and, in Ontario, cannot be legally driven on a public road in December - only inside the private service center lot.

Average temperate mid December is -14c with a high chance of snow on the ground.

Wtf do I do? Ship rims and tires to them and have the service center swap them? Hire a flat bed?
In Quebec you can ask for a temporary exemption. If for example you leave for the US for the winter. You maybe have something similar in Ontario.

However, they can mount your winter tires for you. If they wanted to charge extra just explain them that you’ve been waiting for the car for months and they better not complain about installing them for you free of charge. Sending you home in a 170k$ car on summer tires in the middle of winter while the customer has his winter tires with him would be terrible publicity.

Pretty sure they’ll be happy to do it for you.

Reactions: Bitjockey
I have my set of winters mounted on wheels ready to go in my garage for when I eventually get a VIN. Model S LR 19" Tire Size

If the conditions are dry roads I have no problem driving home on the stock tires and will swap at home. On the other hand I could arrive in our truck with wheels in the bed and ask for installation after vehicle is inspected by myself. Technically they are not allowed to let one out on summers as come Dec 1st the law in Quebec states one MUST have dedicated winter tires, no all seasons permitted! Oddly enough tomorrow they are forecasting about 10cm of snow and no temps above freezing for at least a week.

I have my set of winters mounted on wheels ready to go in my garage for when I eventually get a VIN. Model S LR 19" Tire Size

If the conditions are dry roads I have no problem driving home on the stock tires and will swap at home. On the other hand I could arrive in our truck with wheels in the bed and ask for installation after vehicle is inspected by myself. Technically they are not allowed to let one out on summers as come Dec 1st the law in Quebec states one MUST have dedicated winter tires, no all seasons permitted! Oddly enough tomorrow they are forecasting about 10cm of snow and no temps above freezing for at least a week.
There's a chance your rims will not clear the brake shield.

Tesla official front wheel size: 19 x 9.5
Rims in your link: 19 x 8.5

More info on the brake shield clearance issue: Winter tires for the Model S Plaid ?

The stock offset is also +40 Front, +45 Rear, not +30 all-around.
  1. In the front, it means your winter rubber sidewall will be 0.2" further outside of the body, increasing the amount of salt and gravel it throws at the body.
  2. Your rear is perfect. It's 0.21" inset, but then corrected by your 0.20" spacer for a difference of 0.01"

Last edited:
There's a chance your rims will not clear the brake shield.

Tesla official front wheel size: 19 x 9.5
Rims in your link: 19 x 8.5

More info on the brake shield clearance issue: Winter tires for the Model S Plaid ?
Will find out when I get the car but I think they will be fine. Push comes to shove a thin spacer to get the additional clearance if required. Will post the results when time comes.

Will find out when I get the car but I think they will be fine. Push comes to shove a thin spacer to get the additional clearance if required. Will post the results when time comes.
I took my 19x8.5 sets from previous models S (2020) to SC and tried it on plaid. They DO NOT fit. The front will hit the break calliper. You can choose to remove the shield but it is not recommended. It’s there for a reason.
Bought a set of 19x9.5 with 255/45/19 and 38mm offset. Haven’t tried this yet but optimistic per others who have tried it.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I took my 19x8.5 sets from previous models S (2020) to SC and tried it on plaid. They DO NOT fit. The front will hit the break calliper. You can choose to remove the shield but it is not recommended. It’s there for a reason.
Bought a set of 19x9.5 with 255/45/19 and 38mm offset. Haven’t tried this yet but optimistic per others who have tried it.
Do you know how much clearance there is between the OEM 19" wheel and the suspension/frame?

Stock is 40mm offset in the front and all I can find locally is 42mm. Do you think 2mm closer to the suspension/frame is a problem?

Also, I noticed the load rating of your tires is 104, while Tesla rears require 107. It's possible the shop will reject to install them, like here:

Do you know how much clearance there is between the OEM 19" wheel and the suspension/frame?

Stock is 40mm offset in the front and all I can find locally is 42mm. Do you think 2mm closer to the suspension/frame is a problem?
2mm might work. I really didn’t measure it, but from looking at it the 8.5 rims where just touching the break shield, enough to run against it. Best to have the shop do a test fit before mounting the tire on wheel.

I was originally scheduled for November delivery, and then incrementally pushed back to March, 2022. Lo and behold, I checked last night and my delivery has now been moved forward to December 5-31. We shall see...Now I'm stuck reading through all the winter wheel threads to come up with a last minute solution there.

By chance, has anyone in Calgary that's taken delivery been able to figure out winter wheels and tires locally?