Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only problem with that is the previous 20% tax was on the value above $100k. So that wasn’t too bad for the MSLR. 20% on $15k. If it’s 10% on the total value of the whole car it’s a bigger hit.

Fingers crossed for all the late December deliveries….

This.

It was 20% of the amount above 100K, or 10% of the total amount, whichever is less. My total price is 130K, so I would have paid 6K in tax. If it’s 10% of the total amount now, that goes up to 13K. That will be an instant cancel, I’m not giving the government that money.

Taxes like this one do nothing but curb spending and hurt the economy….

edit: it seems it might still be as I describe above. Check out this link - and tell them how you feel about it! I’m sending an email. I think we should push to have EVs excluded at least.

OK folks, so I sent the following letter to the email address on that page. I encourage everyone here to tell your stories! Let’s at least try and get EVs exempted from the tax.

Good afternoon,

I’d like to provide my opinion on the proposed luxury tax.

I have recently placed an order on a Tesla Model S. Without even the top options, this car comes to about $130K.

I have worked very hard and saved for some time, yet I am very much stretching my budget here in order to buy an electric vehicle. If the luxury tax comes into effect, I will not be able to afford the extra cost.

I should note that this particular car is on par, “luxury” wise, with gasoline powered cars in the $80-$90K range. I am paying the extra price difference to transition to a greener and more sustainable vehicle. If the luxury tax comes in, I will cancel this order and buy a comparable gasoline car under $100K.

I understand the perception may be that people who buy more expensive vehicles have money to burn. This may be true for some, but for many, the ability to buy a dream car is the culmination of years of hard work and savings. To punish people who have worked so hard towards a goal is not fair in my opinion.

Therefore, I’d like to register my opposition to the concept of a luxury tax. However, if such a tax is still going to be implemented, I recommend a couple of considerations:

1. In recognition that not all who buy these vehicles have “money to burn”, reduce the amount of the tax to something that might still be bearable for those who are saving up for their purchase. 10% on the amount above 100K might be more reasonable; and

2. Consider exempting electric vehicles, due to their positive environmental impact and higher cost of entry.

I thank you for your consideration.

The only problem with that is the previous 20% tax was on the value above $100k. So that wasn’t too bad for the MSLR. 20% on $15k. If it’s 10% on the total value of the whole car it’s a bigger hit.

Fingers crossed for all the late December deliveries….
Ouch, that’s really really bad. For Plaid is approx same cost (20 K$). But for LR, it’s higher. For me that goes from 5,6 K$ to 12,8 K$ :(

This.

It was 20% of the amount above 100K, or 10% of the total amount, whichever is less. My total price is 130K, so I would have paid 6K in tax. If it’s 10% of the total amount now, that goes up to 13K. That will be an instant cancel, I’m not giving the government that money.

Taxes like this one do nothing but curb spending and hurt the economy….

edit: it seems it might still be as I describe above. Check out this link - and tell them how you feel about it! I’m sending an email. I think we should push to have EVs excluded at least.

That’s a “good” news. It would be 20% over 100 K$ or 10% total.