Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a set of the new Tesla front mud flaps and am not going to install them. I live in Kitchener/Waterloo and work in Burlington and am willing to sell them for cost if we can meet up or cost + Canada Post shipping if they have to mail out. If I have to send them, they will be more expensive (shipping cost) than if you buy from Tesla however they are eternally out of stock and these are available. If you are interested, PM me. Tony

Reactions: Bitjockey
Parliament will sit for the first time this year in the first week of Feb.

In a worst case scenario, lux tax would be one of the first items on the agenda - could be, but unlikely with all the more pressing issues going on in the world. Then once the bill is passed, I don't think the tax starts right away, they'll have to set an implementation date sometime in the future, enough lead time for dealerships to work out the details, etc. I have no basis for this but I'd say it would at least have to be a month.

So maybe we have until end March, on the worst case side? Just an educated guess... 1 April is new fiscal year, so that might be a target date.

And I'm still somewhat optimistic that enough of us pushed back during the consultation phase to try and have EVs exempted... Given the current government's intent to make all new cars fully electric by 2035, it might be something they'll consider.

I love your optimism ! There is discussion about making it retroactive back to April 2021 so lets see how it rolls out.

I don't think we'd see that. Their original date was 1 Jan 22, so if it's retroactive, I think it would only be back to 1 Jan.

That being said, making it retroactive would be an administrative nightmare... The juice for them may not be worth the squeeze. How would it be implemented? Would we have to declare and claim it on our tax returns? Fat chance... LOL

Reactions: Proppilot
Parliament will sit for the first time this year in the first week of Feb.

In a worst case scenario, lux tax would be one of the first items on the agenda - could be, but unlikely with all the more pressing issues going on in the world. Then once the bill is passed, I don't think the tax starts right away, they'll have to set an implementation date sometime in the future, enough lead time for dealerships to work out the details, etc. I have no basis for this but I'd say it would at least have to be a month.

So maybe we have until end March, on the worst case side? Just an educated guess... 1 April is new fiscal year, so that might be a target date.

And I'm still somewhat optimistic that enough of us pushed back during the consultation phase to try and have EVs exempted... Given the current government's intent to make all new cars fully electric by 2035, it might be something they'll consider.
Fricken hell. Meanwhile, Model X orders haven't even begun in Canada. I placed mine last year - actually just about a year ago now, currently with an EDD of March and suspecting THAT will slip for the umpteenth time. April 1st sounds about right for the whole scenario.

Fricken hell. Meanwhile, Model X orders haven't even begun in Canada. I placed mine last year - actually just about a year ago now, currently with an EDD of March and suspecting THAT will slip for the umpteenth time. April 1st sounds about right for the whole scenario.
I'm hoping they're smart and exclude EVs from it entirely. I made the argument during the consultation that an EV is on average 30-50K higher than an equivalent "luxury" ICE vehicle, and this should be considered. Maybe they exclude them entirely, or maybe they raise the amount to 150K for EVs, anything would help.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
So the rate will be locked in for 30 days, and the approval valid for 60. If I need to renew it, it'll be a soft check, so I decided to roll the bones and do the application. If this EDD is finally correct, I'll have the rate locked in. Otherwise, it'll be a soft check and a new rate, but no hard check again.

Anyway, immediately approved with BMO for 2.9%. $130,000 with $50,000 down, 60 months. Too bad, my original approval back in July was 2.4%...

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine