Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada order update (Got invite)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The PC's cancelling the rebate is really dumb. We pay 13% Tax here in Ontario, the rebate basically just gives us the taxes back...they make it sound like the government shouldn't be purchasing your car...dumb logic.

How will the government collect road taxes from EV's? EV's are generally heavier and damage the roads more than ICE cars. Maybe there should be a tax per mile billed to EV users? This is something than has to be looked at if the EV population increases in the next few years,

There is talk of a federal program replacing the provincial programs. Maybe a simple solution is no tax on EV's with a final price under $75,000.00. I do like the current program that gives a premium reward for the lowest price EV's.

Reactions: SmartElectric
The whole point of this rebate was to encourage motorist to purchase EVs, given their high cost and impact ICE cars have on the environment. So essentially, the rebate also helps reduce carbon emissions which in turn reduces our overall carbon footprint. So it isn't just the roads, there is enough ICE cars still being purchased to accommodate that. If it were not for the rebate I would not have purchased my Model S because it made that much of a difference.

Normally, most of the negative equity in the first and second year come from the insane taxes we pay to purchase, not to mention every-time the car is sold in Ontario the government taxes the sale again and again and again...by the end of the cars life, the Government likely collected 70-100% of the value..It isn't just black and white which is the way politicians want us to see the world.

Just got off the phone with a sales rep, said they cannot guarantee anything with respect to wait times for AWD or RWD LR, which is expected. HOWEVER, I was expecting them to be more liberal in their approach to allow for order cancellation if June comes and goes, PC wins and scraps EV incentive, and I'm still stuck with an order I can't get EV incentive on. She said basically it's not their problem: whatever happens, you're stuck with the M3. I guess that's fair on their part, it just sucks not knowing accurate delivery, and the June 8 deadline being so close. Also the fact that you have to place an order while you still can't test drive the 3. Too many unknowns. Do you guys think it's worth the risk ordering straight away?
The risk of the government canceling the rebates in Ontario is very high IMO. It's a catch 22. I would think most Canadians would want to wait for AWD, but then risk losing rebates. Tough decision.

The risk of the government canceling the rebates in Ontario is very high IMO. It's a catch 22. I would think most Canadians would want to wait for AWD, but then risk losing rebates. Tough decision.

It wasn't that tough for me personally. I really wanted AWD but the risk of losing the rebate plus the cost of dual motors is around $20k combined. RWD will do just fine ;)