Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada owners

dano9258

Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So we will be doing a trip across Canada in late May and early June. Our concern is the lack or superchargers east of Calgary. What does everyone use? We will be crossing into Canada from Minnesota on the 75 and then going west across the 1. Will this be possible in a long range model 3? I know Tesla shows numerous chargers opening in 2019 but who knows if they will be there by then.

dano9258

Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks. My worry with planning it using that app is at least In the US, alot of those aren't public stations and you can't use them. Like ones at Nissan or apartment complexes, etc. Our worry is we plan out the trip and that occurs and we get stranded because we have no where to charge. Was hoping someone has done that drive already and could offer insight.

Kira

Apr 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
@dano9258 - have you gone through the Canadian Trip Planning thread in the Canada forum? There may be some tips in there and/or you could pose your query there, where you may get more Canuck views. I've only gone as far east as Drumheller, AB (which has some Level 2 chargers that are freely available, should you want to stop in there) so I don't have any helpful advice.

M109Rider

Apr 8, 2018
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks. My worry with planning it using that app is at least In the US, alot of those aren't public stations and you can't use them. Like ones at Nissan or apartment complexes, etc. Our worry is we plan out the trip and that occurs and we get stranded because we have no where to charge. Was hoping someone has done that drive already and could offer insight.

That’s a valid concern.
Often in the plugshare app, it will list who has used that charger last etc. If you see no lists of usage, fair to say avoid that one.
Otherwise, with a list of people using it, it should be good to go.

Jaguar

Mar 30, 2017
Thunder Bay
Got my Model 3 too late in the season to go on any lengthy trips but I've heard of a Model S that crossed Ontario, North of Superior, by charging at campgrounds. You'll need the appropriate charging connector, however and I'm not sure which ones will work with M3s. There is a Chademo-CCS charger in Thunder Bay but that won't help you. There are also a couple free Level 2 units at local hotels. Tesla's map shows permits having been taken out on several Superchargers across N. Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan but I don't know when they will be built.

RedSafari

Mar 28, 2018
Toronto
I’ve driven in Manitoba and Saskatchewan in a Model 3 along the Trans-Canada Highway using J1772 chargers listed on PlugShare. It’s definitely possible, but is a slow drive since you will be stopping for several hours during the day to charge (plus overnight charging at hotels or campgrounds).
If your goal is not to get across as quickly as possible, it is actually fun to stop in small towns, explore the local sights and family restaurants and chat to the locals while the car is charging.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC