Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Rogers Network impacts - no remote access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can connect remotely to the car which is parking at the on-ground spot under my condo. No wifi there but I'm with Bell on my mobile though!

I read that Tesla uses Telus for connectivity but Starlink at the superchargers. Either way I drove around just fine today, and didn’t need to stress at a gas station with payment ;)
I don’t know about that.

My car lost connectivity yesterday
My phone is on Bell and my wife is on Telus we both had no loss. So the car is in Rogers

Don’t know about supercharges but I am curious to know how do you charge or even supercharge with a failure like yesterday? Heck even the bulk of Interac payments were down

Does the supercharger need communication or just the car?
I was able to use my phone as a hotspot so the car was connected

I thought that Tesla uses the AT&T Worldwide business services. That way Tesla doesn't have to negotiate contracts with numerous providers in individual countries. AT&T has roaming agreements with Bell, Rogers, and likely Telus. So depending on where you are in Canada, you can end up on different networks. And this is likely why people claim Tesla uses differing providers.

I had no car connectivity issues yesterday... So it wasn't using Rogers here.

I thought that Tesla uses the AT&T Worldwide business services. That way Tesla doesn't have to negotiate contracts with numerous providers in individual countries. AT&T has roaming agreements with Bell, Rogers, and likely Telus. So depending on where you are in Canada, you can end up on different networks. And this is likely why people claim Tesla uses differing providers.

I had no car connectivity issues yesterday... So it wasn't using Rogers here.
I had service in the car sometime yesterday but not other times so the roaming makes sense

Ah yes, the "Criminal Mobile Triad". They're all bad. We pay the highest rates on the planet and there is no end in sight for real competition. The CRTC and Competition bureau, both lack the ball and the backbone

Sorry, I get really riled up about these buggers. We have no choices, like our brethren south of the 49th.
US wireless is a complete mess of corruption and malfeasance, just like Canada's. There's more money involved and US politicians are more open about their corruption, so it may be worse.

They're all bad. We pay the highest rates on the planet and there is no end in sight for real competition.
Choice has little to do with things like the effects of this outage, but our costs would probably go down.....maybe. I'd like more choice for a lot of reasons, but this outtage isn't one of them, and the problem of low density across the country would still be a problem.

Reactions: mrElbe