Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Section - are there guidelines for Canada specific content?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I look at the first 20 threads on the first Canada page, 6 of them are model 3 related and have nothing to do with Canada. The next page of 20 threads has 7 non-Canada threads like general questions about whether tinting windows or the roof (not tint locations....just questions about tint level and whether it causes problems), wheel questions, software releases etc.

I'm not talking about model 3 delivery experience in Van/Mon/Tor threads or model 3 order times for canada etc. I'm talking about basic model 3 stuff that really has nothing to do with Canada and everything to do with model 3. For example, go post those threads in the California or Texas sections and see what happens.

I think the Canada section is losing a bit of its Canada focus and becoming swamped with model specific threads that really don't need to be here.

So the issue is the general forums are used by the Americans. So they have a Model 3 section, Model S, General discussion, etc etc. Canada doesn’t have any of that we just have a section called Canada where all the sections combined for all locations are in one place. That’s why the threads are all over the place and there’s really nothing we can do.

Some people like having Canadian specific discussion or advice (example for winter) but you can still go hang out at the general model 3 forum it’s much more active.

I agree with @sakimano
I only want to see relatively Canadian-specific content in here. There is way too much general information that is bogging down the SNR. I like to see Canadian- or cold weather-specific content only. If I wanted to read about every single firmware or autopilot update, I'd to go that specific forum.

I agree with @sakimano
I only want to see relatively Canadian-specific content in here. There is way too much general information that is bogging down the SNR. I like to see Canadian- or cold weather-specific content only. If I wanted to read about every single firmware or autopilot update, I'd to go that specific forum.
We had this discussion before and people couldn’t decide if we should post firmware updates amongst other things. Some said yes they want everything posted here, since it will be the same people talking about it, makes things easier. Others said no. Sometimes the software updates are different to Canadians than US, in terms of timing and actual content in the update. So yea

Reactions: richyrich
I think it's necessary to include prominent words when you post to this Canadian forum. Words like "eh" and "sorry". If you don't include at least a half dozen then you should be deemed a hozer, eh? Anyone insulted should at least get a poutine or a toque or a twoonie. Sorry - time for me to go get a two-four and some timbits.

I think the problem is that even initial "off topic" subjects can become "on topic". Tints are a perfect example... I understand why someone might post in the Canadian forum about "What % tint should I get" because the next logical step in that discussion is "where should I get them". I suppose, you can argue that the first thread could be created in the general forum and a second one in the Canadian one, but truth be told... MANY/MOST/ALL subjects have largely been covered, so you can get all your answers by just using the search tool.

Now... having said that, if we just used the search tool, there would be no discussions at all.

I've been around for a couple of years, so yes, I've read 72 different "which tires are best" threads. In fact, I think I have created half of them, but isn't that what a forum like this is for?

Can't please all of the people all of the time.

So the issue is the general forums are used by the Americans. So they have a Model 3 section, Model S, General discussion, etc etc. Canada doesn’t have any of that we just have a section called Canada where all the sections combined for all locations are in one place. That’s why the threads are all over the place and there’s really nothing we can do.

Some people like having Canadian specific discussion or advice (example for winter) but you can still go hang out at the general model 3 forum it’s much more active.
If you have a Canada specific issue, make a Canada section thread.

If you have a model 3 specific issue, make it in model 3 section.

I don't start threads about my Model S P90D here. Why would I?

• Disagree
Reactions: TrevTremaine
We had this discussion before and people couldn’t decide if we should post firmware updates amongst other things. Some said yes they want everything posted here, since it will be the same people talking about it, makes things easier. Others said no. Sometimes the software updates are different to Canadians than US, in terms of timing and actual content in the update. So yea
How about this...go read the firmware thread in the car's section?
Also if the complaint is we don't have the firmware yet in Canada (rarely have I seen a discernable lag on firmware updates here vs us) what is the point of the thread being here? To say you DON'T have the update?

• Disagree
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I

Can't please all of the people all of the time.
Well the majority of people who spoke up in this thread said they'd like to see the Canada section more restricted to Canadian content, so you're right...can't please everyone and it sounds like if you want to please most people, you should enforce the content restrictions and move noncanadian threads out.

Well the majority of people who spoke up in this thread said they'd like to see the Canada section more restricted to Canadian content, so you're right...can't please everyone and it sounds like if you want to please most people, you should enforce the content restrictions and move noncanadian threads out.

I didn't run a full analysis but I'm pretty sure the responses are split 50/50 and there is definitely not a majority.

If you have a Canada specific issue, make a Canada section thread.

If you have a model 3 specific issue, make it in model 3 section.

I don't start threads about my Model S P90D here. Why would I?
Some do, some don’t. I see plenty of Canadians talking over in the general sections.

Perhaps some people don’t see it as “General Discussion goes here, Canada related goes here..” Perhaps it’s oh there’s a Canada section and I’m from Canada so I’m going to post my thread there. Most people are new to forums, and you can’t blame them for thinking that way.

My $0.02 (because I know so many people care....):

Everyone just chill out. If people want to consider the Canada forum a place for Canadians to discuss amongst other Canadians, then so be it. I mean, the Canadian forum isn't being flooded with so many posts anyway, so what's the big deal?

Now, that's me saying that because I find I don't have time to check every forum and sub forum for new posts. It gets tiresome, especially when some of the threads in the main model 3 forum explode to 10 pages in the first few days and most of the post are nonsense/not adding value.

I find the posts in the Canada forum informative and at a pace that lends itself to reading through all responses.

So, while I'm sure it's not technically correct; I view the Canadian forum as being fair game for Canadians that want to discuss something together with people they are already virtually familiar with....

If that bothers people so much (it's often the same few people I see that get worked up over this), yet people still do it...well I guess that tell us who the real majority is now, doesn't it?