Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada to U.S. move process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if anyone has done or know the process of move a Tesla from Canada to U.S.
I purchased my 3 in canada and recently moved to live permanently in U.S.
All the government work related work was straight forward. Got compliance letter from Tesla. CBP import was done in like 5minutes. Registered at dmv got local plate here.

I was told warranty related items is perfectly fine across the boarder.

The parts where it got a little confusing is these 2 area:
1. Car firmware. I know there are number of differences. For example, summon and Advanced Summon works differently. Hulu is not there in theater section in Canada. I was initially told by support that they won't able to adjust over the air. I have to visit a service center to have the firmware flashed. When I visited the local SC here, however, they don't seem to have a clue on what needs to be done. They escalated and I think I'm stuck in between for now. Anyone have experience here?

2. Tesla account profile. I changed the account address to U.S perfectly fine. However all accessories are still priced in CAD. My referral free Super Charging is still showing km instead of miles. I was told by support that they cannot change it unless I open a new account and do a title transfer to myself.

Have you contacted the department of motor vehicles as well as customs to inquire ?

I think it’s pretty straight forward for most cars. Might be different for Tesla’s though.

Import was perfectly fine as per the initial post.

Problem arise basically when I tried to homogenize the car to function the same as one sold in the States at first place.

Wonder if anyone has done or know the process of move a Tesla from Canada to U.S.
I purchased my 3 in canada and recently moved to live permanently in U.S.
All the government work related work was straight forward. Got compliance letter from Tesla. CBP import was done in like 5minutes. Registered at dmv got local plate here.

I was told warranty related items is perfectly fine across the boarder.

The parts where it got a little confusing is these 2 area:
1. Car firmware. I know there are number of differences. For example, summon and Advanced Summon works differently. Hulu is not there in theater section in Canada. I was initially told by support that they won't able to adjust over the air. I have to visit a service center to have the firmware flashed. When I visited the local SC here, however, they don't seem to have a clue on what needs to be done. They escalated and I think I'm stuck in between for now. Anyone have experience here?

2. Tesla account profile. I changed the account address to U.S perfectly fine. However all accessories are still priced in CAD. My referral free Super Charging is still showing km instead of miles. I was told by support that they cannot change it unless I open a new account and do a title transfer to myself.
Hi there. I'm looking at doing the exact same as you with our Canadian M3 moving to the U.S.

1. What ended up happening re: car firmware? Were they able to flash it to U.S. software so you get the full experience?
2. Did they change the SIM?
3. What did you have to do to switch the account profile so everything is in USD, Supercharging miles (instead of km), etc.
4. Did the warranty move to the US ok?

Thanks in advance!