Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CANADA Version 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an unused Netgear WiFi router laying around and installed that as an Access point in the garage. If you do decide on a range extender, get one of the best rated ones, Netgear AC1200 at BestBuy.
Who do you use for net up there? We are moving into Sandford and have not been able to find a service provider? Bell say yes for Uxbridge and stoufville but no for us??

Summon is nice in theory but in reality it's a pain with the current setup. My garage is right on the cut off distance of my wifi so the car cycles between LTE and wifi all the time. Makes for lots of disconnects during garage parking attempts.
This seems to be the universal experience for those of us in Canada. I wonder how many wifi range extenders have been sold this week. I'm going to buy one; however, I think summon really needs a re-think in Canada. The FOB distance seems nearly unusable so I imagine people will start putting the FOBs on or in the car which defeats the point of requiring the key FOB. Using the app through the internet, particularly in the grey zone that is the garage, for most people seems pretty doomed and the concept of a "dead man" switch seems pretty clunky when you are talking about requests being sent over the network to the car. Given that there seem to be restrictions on using the FOB, the best suggestion I've heard (from TMC member nappe) is that they should use Bluetooth. This seems sensible to me as it allows a direct connection from device to car, some distance restriction - which is presumably required but might not be enough for Canadian regulations.

Were you patient - when the car stopped, did you keep touching the button (and cajoling the car to go on)? I ask because I have a small hump, followed by a dip, followed by a hump, then a dip and finally quite a steep slope up; the car paused in each of the dips but I kept pressing and talking to her nicely (she's called Tallulah) and she obviously wanted to please me because she rolled on up the slope (and came back down and in later). In fact, I think she learnt what to do - she seemed better at it the second time.
Yes I had my finger on the app button the whole time before it failed. However I've had it both fail and succeed over the slight bump in different attempts. I'm guessing the difference might be the starting distance away from the garage - the time it failed, I started with the car very close to the garage, other times it worked starting from farther away - in such case it seemed to "try harder" to get over the bump as well. So perhaps the extra little momentum starting further away helped?

Summon is nice in theory but in reality it's a pain with the current setup. My garage is right on the cut off distance of my wifi so the car cycles between LTE and wifi all the time. Makes for lots of disconnects during garage parking attempts.
I'm finding the same thing. Summon parking into the garage (car on LTE) more successful for me than Summon pulling out of garage (car on weak wifi signal in garage) which seems to often disconnect then abort.

I understand the car's wifi antenna is in the right sideview mirror, so unfortunately the farthest possible point from my wifi router back in the house (detached from the garage). I have a spare wifi router I can set up as an AP/extender in the garage so I may give that a try.

Yes I had my finger on the app button the whole time before it failed. However I've had it both fail and succeed over the slight bump in different attempts. I'm guessing the difference might be the starting distance away from the garage - the time it failed, I started with the car very close to the garage, other times it worked starting from farther away - in such case it seemed to "try harder" to get over the bump as well. So perhaps the extra little momentum starting further away helped?

I'm finding the same thing. Summon parking into the garage (car on LTE) more successful for me than Summon pulling out of garage (car on weak wifi signal in garage) which seems to often disconnect then abort.

I understand the car's wifi antenna is in the right sideview mirror, so unfortunately the farthest possible point from my wifi router back in the house (detached from the garage). I have a spare wifi router I can set up as an AP/extender in the garage so I may give that a try.

In a few videos it was suggest that the car is learning during summon, again not fact. But maybe the car is learning that you have a bump into the garage and wasn't an issue in the past?

Also just some advice, extended your network by Ethernet cable to the second router instead of wireless repeating. More robust results.

In a few videos it was suggest that the car is learning during summon, again not fact. But maybe the car is learning that you have a bump into the garage and wasn't an issue in the past?

Also just some advice, extended your network by Ethernet cable to the second router instead of wireless repeating. More robust results.
or install a power line range extender in your garage using a 120V receptacle. I have Tplink, cost less than $60, and it works very well

Whether it is power line or another AP or an extender, I think an issue still remains - the handoff of a device from one AP to the next. This morning, the car was (presumably) happily on my extended wifi network. My phone OTOH was still talking to my house AP (weakly). I summoned out of the garage, and at a certain moment, the phone jumped to the stronger AP (extended network). At this moment, the app on the Tesla app on the phone changed to STOP (as it lost connectivity) but the car kept rolling. I'd guess a good 5 feet (was a bit caught off guard, so memory may be less than accurate). There was nothing in its way/no risk, so it wasn't a big deal this time, but that could be a big deal if it meant rolling onto the street or into something that sonar didn't detect.

Someone mentioned a possible reason Canada doesn't get fob control may be that our fobs/cars have mandatory immobilizer technology. Can anyone confirm if CAN cars have this immobilizer tech and USA cars don't? I would think tesla would keep the cars as similar as possible (granted things like DRL are different, but that I believe is just software).

Whether it is power line or another AP or an extender, I think an issue still remains - the handoff of a device from one AP to the next. This morning, the car was (presumably) happily on my extended wifi network. My phone OTOH was still talking to my house AP (weakly). I summoned out of the garage, and at a certain moment, the phone jumped to the stronger AP (extended network). At this moment, the app on the Tesla app on the phone changed to STOP (as it lost connectivity) but the car kept rolling. I'd guess a good 5 feet (was a bit caught off guard, so memory may be less than accurate). There was nothing in its way/no risk, so it wasn't a big deal this time, but that could be a big deal if it meant rolling onto the street or into something that sonar didn't detect.

Someone mentioned a possible reason Canada doesn't get fob control may be that our fobs/cars have mandatory immobilizer technology. Can anyone confirm if CAN cars have this immobilizer tech and USA cars don't? I would think tesla would keep the cars as similar as possible (granted things like DRL are different, but that I believe is just software).
Thanks for confirming this. I had the same experience but I haven't yet reported this as I wanted to re-confirm. I didn't see what happened in my case but I guessed that my phone lost wifi (or switched to LTE) and the car didn't detect that the app had lost connection. This suggests that either they don't have any kind of end to end check request from the app to the car (in which case this can not be considered a dead man setup) or they have had to make it so tolerant to natural delays that it has as much as a 1-2 second delay before the car aborts. Either way this is not a good system so hopefully this was only a quick way to appease Canadian regulations (or to deal with the Key Fob immobilizer) and they are working on something more robust whether bluetooth or otherwise. I've heard about the immobilizer before as one of the main differences between Canadian and US cars.

I disconnected my car from my home wifi so it wouldn't drop the signal half way out of the garage. Problem solved. Now if I could just disable the daily popup message to connect to my home wifi I'd be all set LOL.

This can be avoided by having at least one Wifi connection configured in the car. It doesn't need to be your home connection so what I did was add a hotspot that I rarely visit so the car is always on 3G and there is no nag.

I understand the car's wifi antenna is in the right sideview mirror
This also seems to be the reason for my weak WiFi, and while I admire Tesla for keeping the various antennae as far away from the driver as possible (if that was indeed the goal) the one wireless system that I can't imagine using for long while in the car is WiFi ! The antenna should be as near to the power outlet as possible (without interference while charging) IMHO.

And since the car's charge port is on the driver's side, I can only imagine that most folks (like me) park with the port side closest to the house's wifi access point, because that's also the general area where the power comes from.

And the car seems to be a good signal blocker with that thermal window coating.

This also seems to be the reason for my weak WiFi, and while I admire Tesla for keeping the various antennae as far away from the driver as possible (if that was indeed the goal) the one wireless system that I can't imagine using for long while in the car is WiFi ! The antenna should be as near to the power outlet as possible (without interference while charging) IMHO.

And since the car's charge port is on the driver's side, I can only imagine that most folks (like me) park with the port side closest to the house's wifi access point, because that's also the general area where the power comes from.

And the car seems to be a good signal blocker with that thermal window coating.
In my case, the charging station is on the right, and I pull the cable around the back of the car, but my WiFi access point is to the left of the car. I don't think Tesla can really guess where the AP will be, and in any case, the difference in signal strength from one side of the car to the other should be minimal, unless it's already marginal.