Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada VIN thread and Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ontario electricity is half the price, Really..................
Our gasoline is twice the price, Really............... (it is more but not twice the price)

Not so my friend. Our best rate is about 15 cents per KWH at night (electricity and transportation cost). We have hard winters that really take a toll on EV range here also.

It depends on the province and state my friend.
Vancouver is about $6.12 a gallon right now, and I know our rates are about 6.5 cents per kW. Off peak. ....
It was a general comment to illustrate the great return on EV’s in Canada.
Which is bang on. !

Our gasoline is twice the price, Really............... (it is more but not twice the price)

Not so my friend. Our best rate is about 15 cents per KWH at night (electricity and transportation cost). We have hard winters that really take a toll on EV range here also.
Last time I checked, off peak for my area (waterloo north hydro) was 6.5 cents /kWh. Add on the riders and taxes brings it to about 8 cents/kWh

Configured May 10/18, VIN assigned May 17/18, ISA phoned last night at 8 pm (May 22/18) - delivery will be to the Toronto International Centre on June 6 (even though I specified Oakville).
Picked up Tesla Wall Connector in Oakville today. They are only ordering in the 24' ones. 40 came in yesterday...8 left after I picked up mine at noon today.
They said 100-200 M3's are being delivered to the International Centre daily at this point.
MSM, PUP, EAD, 19" sport wheels

I ended up ordering one online. Their delivery is amazingly efficient.

Reactions: sundaymorning
I have a couple questions for anyone who has taken delivery in Ontario already. This will be my first time dealing with Tesla and it's also been difficult to reach them lately. I'm supposed to take delivery at the International Centre (no time or VIN yet) and time is getting short to get prepared. First, will Tesla take care of the licence plate? The regular dealerships have always taken care of this in the past. Second, what did you have to bring with you? I've read on this and other forums that you need to bring insurance and a bank draft if you're not planning on using Tesla financing. But I can't change my insurance without a VIN and don't know what the balance on the vehicle is either. I believe it usually take 2-3 business days to get a bank draft or certified cheque.

This is what they sent me, the big banks should all do bank drafts on the spot. All the times I've needed one it took 30 minutes at most. Though of course double check with your bank.

Delivery Requirements:
  1. Bank Draft/Certified Chq for your payment. Your amount owed will be listed on you Tesla Account prior to delivery once final documents are generated. Please make it out to Tesla Motors Canada ULC
  2. All registrants must be present at delivery, and bring Valid Driver’s License(s)
  3. Proof of Insurance for your Model 3 effective on your delivery date or earlier. You will be presented with a bill of sale prior to delivery, necessary for you to get said insurance.

Then you have to add the transportation cost at about 7 Cent KWH in Ontario.
No, that's not true. There is a fixed fee per month, then additional fees that get tacked on per kWh:
Residential Charges and Rates

Delivery
Price

Distribution Service Charge

$28.86 per month

Distribution Usage Charge

$0.0055 per kWh

OEB Regulated Rate Riders

($0.0005) per kWh

OEB Global Adjustment Rider - Retailer contracts only

$0.0005 per kWh*

Line Transformation Connection

$0.0023 per kWh*

Network Service

$0.0068 per kWh*

I have a couple questions for anyone who has taken delivery in Ontario already. This will be my first time dealing with Tesla and it's also been difficult to reach them lately. I'm supposed to take delivery at the International Centre (no time or VIN yet) and time is getting short to get prepared. First, will Tesla take care of the licence plate? The regular dealerships have always taken care of this in the past. Second, what did you have to bring with you? I've read on this and other forums that you need to bring insurance and a bank draft if you're not planning on using Tesla financing. But I can't change my insurance without a VIN and don't know what the balance on the vehicle is either. I believe it usually take 2-3 business days to get a bank draft or certified cheque.

Ahhhh, you shared a lot of my concerns.
Tesla will call you. You'll get a phone call from someone in Vegas that you will deal with over phone and e-mail for delivery questions and concerns. That person will set up a date with you to pick up car. The VIN will show up on your Tesla account about 7-8 days before the delivery date. The person will also e-mail you an invoice with the remaining balance. They will also ask you if you want green plates which will be an extra $200. I opted out of the green plates myself and they will provide normal Ontario plates. That invoice will also have the VIN and fees like licensing. You'll have plenty of time to get your insurance in order..well...at least 4-5 days. The person on the phone will inform you what to bring and send an e-mail. It's basically payment and what payment they accept. Don't worry, you're in good hands with Tesla and they will take care of any concerns. Just have to wait for the phone call! In the mean time, check your Tesla account and make sure your phone # is correct and up to date.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kira
Stopped by International Centre 200-250 for delivery and multiple trucks delivering more. This is on start your accelerators.
20180525_144244.jpg

Ahhhh, you shared a lot of my concerns.
Tesla will call you. You'll get a phone call from someone in Vegas that you will deal with over phone and e-mail for delivery questions and concerns. That person will set up a date with you to pick up car. The VIN will show up on your Tesla account about 7-8 days before the delivery date. The person will also e-mail you an invoice with the remaining balance. They will also ask you if you want green plates which will be an extra $200. I opted out of the green plates myself and they will provide normal Ontario plates. That invoice will also have the VIN and fees like licensing. You'll have plenty of time to get your insurance in order..well...at least 4-5 days. The person on the phone will inform you what to bring and send an e-mail. It's basically payment and what payment they accept. Don't worry, you're in good hands with Tesla and they will take care of any concerns. Just have to wait for the phone call! In the mean time, check your Tesla account and make sure your phone # is correct and up to date.

The Green plates are no extra cost, normal plates & registration for any new passenger vehicle will run $200 for new vehicle, sticker, etc.
The Green plate gives access to HOV & HOT lanes when a single person in vehicle. I just double checked Ontario website and it will list the individual costs for new vehicle.

Toronto Hydro's rate here: resi-electricity-rates.html
Best part is you can set to charge your EV at off peak times, i.e. 7.7cents kWh. This seems to be on par with average off peak rate in the US.

As for gas, Toronto is now $1.40/litre CAD. This works out to $7/gallon CAD. National average gas prices in US is $3/gallon USD, so yes, Canada's gas price is more that double that of the US.

Interesting that last time gas hit $1.40/litre CAD was during Katrina Hurricane and the price per barrel of US Brent Crude was $115USD/barrel. Now it is only $70USD/barrel. Big Oil is gouging us.

Scheduled pickup July 7th.

ServiceOntario requires Vehicle Permit. Will this be provided by Tesla in advance of pickup?

My insurer, Meloche Monnex, does not yet have M3 in their books, they offered me an insurance quote on the MS 75D as a comparison. Not sure how this would go over with ServiceOntario or Tesla. Comments welcome.

Scheduled pickup July 7th.

ServiceOntario requires Vehicle Permit. Will this be provided by Tesla in advance of pickup?

My insurer, Meloche Monnex, does not yet have M3 in their books, they offered me an insurance quote on the MS 75D as a comparison. Not sure how this would go over with ServiceOntario or Tesla. Comments welcome.

I am with RBC and when I called for a quote a month ago they did not have it in their listing or accessible by the agent. She had to go to supervisors to setup and provide a quote that is now on my file so when I pickup next week, they just need the VIN. The rate given was the same as my used BMW 328i but with full replacement value coverage.

First post!

I'm picking up my M3 (MSM, Aero, EAP) on Thursday at the international center. Yesterday I saw my first M3 in the wild in Waterloo, a nice white one out by the mall. I'm terribly excited.

I had the same problem with Meloche Monnex - but they issued me a policy with a Model S but matching to my M3 VIN and said it would be fine until they have the model 3 in their system properly. I would be curious to know if anyone else had this problem, and if it caused any issues at delivery. I'm expecting it will be fine, given the VIN matches.

I was quite surprised to find the insurance costs were very low for M3, $250/annum lower than my '08 Honda Pilot (replacement cost $10k) compared with the M3 (replacement cost $70k). That alone tells me the M3 is a very safe car by industry standards.

First post!

I'm picking up my M3 (MSM, Aero, EAP) on Thursday at the international center. Yesterday I saw my first M3 in the wild in Waterloo, a nice white one out by the mall. I'm terribly excited.

I had the same problem with Meloche Monnex - but they issued me a policy with a Model S but matching to my M3 VIN and said it would be fine until they have the model 3 in their system properly. I would be curious to know if anyone else had this problem, and if it caused any issues at delivery. I'm expecting it will be fine, given the VIN matches.
I too saw my first one in the wild yesterday, in Waterloo as well! But this was a blue one. Looked more navy purple than blue in the bright sunlight. Picking up my midnight silver M3 on Friday... so pumped!

Not to be pedantic, but a Canadian gallon , or Imperial gallon is 4.546 litres but a US gallon is 3.78 litres. So it's not $7/(US) gallon but $5.29/gallon.

In his example, yes. But again, depending on the province, it’s much higher.

My original post regarding prices in Canada, was to point out the great fit for EV’s in Canada, depending on the province and state you may live in, it holds true.
Each state and province will have higher and lower prices.