Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada VIN thread and Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pick up in Toronto on Friday, similar experience as already stated - about 3 hours behind schedule. Once the plates were ready it was a breeze. Had two issues, one that was resolved on spot... 1. Rear inside door had a scratch (looked like they hit the door on something) and 2. Under the front bumper one of the rubber clips fell off (this was immediately resolved) however it looks like they clipped the underside of the car on something - enough to loosen the material under the car. The car is incredible... zero regrets. Hope they get better at fulfillment.

Toronto Hydro's rate here: resi-electricity-rates.html
Best part is you can set to charge your EV at off peak times, i.e. 7.7cents kWh. This seems to be on par with average off peak rate in the US.

As for gas, Toronto is now $1.40/litre CAD. This works out to $7/gallon CAD. National average gas prices in US is $3/gallon USD, so yes, Canada's gas price is more that double that of the US.

Interesting that last time gas hit $1.40/litre CAD was during Katrina Hurricane and the price per barrel of US Brent Crude was $115USD/barrel. Now it is only $70USD/barrel. Big Oil is gouging us.

"As for gas, Toronto is now $1.40/litre CAD. This works out to $7/gallon CAD. National average gas prices in US is $3/gallon USD, so yes, Canada's gas price is more that double that of the US."

This part is straight nonsense. $1.40 x 3.78 = $5.292/ US Gallon
$5.292 Cdn funds = $4.0708 at a 30% conversion rate.

Nowhere close to double the price. About 1/3 more costly.

Please don't start quoting nonsense about imperial gallons. I have broken it down apples to apples. In fact it is not hard to do much better than $1.40/liter and also $3.00/USgallon.

Tesla is Lying now. I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow at 12.30 and I was asking the final amount to pay ad for last 2 days Tesla did not send me the amount. Now they called me at 6 in the evening that there is some problem in logistics and you will not get delivery for next 3 days.
This is frustrating as I did not schedule any office work and keep the day free.

Tesla is Lying now. I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow at 12.30 and I was asking the final amount to pay ad for last 2 days Tesla did not send me the amount. Now they called me at 6 in the evening that there is some problem in logistics and you will not get delivery for next 3 days.
This is frustrating as I did not schedule any office work and keep the day free.
I was scheduled to take delivery today as well. No explanation.....I also cancelled my day and have to leave town for work Sunday. Who knows what they’re doing.....

"As for gas, Toronto is now $1.40/litre CAD. This works out to $7/gallon CAD. National average gas prices in US is $3/gallon USD, so yes, Canada's gas price is more that double that of the US."

This part is straight nonsense. $1.40 x 3.78 = $5.292/ US Gallon
$5.292 Cdn funds = $4.0708 at a 30% conversion rate.

Nowhere close to double the price. About 1/3 more costly.

Please don't start quoting nonsense about imperial gallons. I have broken it down apples to apples. In fact it is not hard to do much better than $1.40/liter and also $3.00/USgallon.

His math is wrong for sure, ( I think this was discussed already ). However, you also went a little far and factored in conversion rates.

Geez, the original point, was that depending on the province and state you are in, we are absolutely double the price for gas. Especially if you look at BC right now.

You can't really factor in conversion, I think the point was to compare prices WITHIN the respective country. In Canada, we pay twice the price for gas in some provinces, and not in others, dollar for dollar. Conversation aside.

Has anyone actually taken delivery of a Model 3 yet?

I'm starting to think that Telsa has only sent out a mass of invites to configure as a way to generate money for production (via the "Order Payment") versus actually expecting to deliver within the timelines provided. Based on the delivery windows provided for the first wave i would have expected to see some on the road by now.
Just got my model 3 yesterday. Drove it from Toronto to Ottawa. Very impressed with the cars performance. I found the basic cruise control lacked a resume speed function which was kind of odd for a car in this price range. Hopefully Elon can make this happen.

His math is wrong for sure, ( I think this was discussed already ). However, you also went a little far and factored in conversion rates.

Geez, the original point, was that depending on the province and state you are in, we are absolutely double the price for gas. Especially if you look at BC right now.

You can't really factor in conversion, I think the point was to compare prices WITHIN the respective country. In Canada, we pay twice the price for gas in some provinces, and not in others, dollar for dollar. Conversation aside.

I'm not the one who quoted $3US/gallon gas. I showed the math and the "double" was a silly exaggeration. $1.40/liter is nowhere close to $7 per gallon. BTW gasoline is priced in US dollars around the world.

I'm not the one who quoted $3US/gallon gas. I showed the math and the "double" was a silly exaggeration. $1.40/liter is nowhere close to $7 per gallon. BTW gasoline is priced in US dollars around the world.

It’s nowhere near $7 because his math was wrong.
It is double depending on state and province though.
We pay Canadian dollars for gas here at the pumps. Not American dollars. How it’s priced around the world is irrelevant.

It’s nowhere near $7 because his math was wrong.
It is double depending on state and province though.
We pay Canadian dollars for gas here at the pumps. Not American dollars. How it’s priced around the world is irrelevant.
I thought the whole point of this discussion was to compare how much Canadians pay for fuel vs. Americans (or others in the world). And if it is, then converting units (both volumetric and monetary) to like kinds is important to that discussion.

I thought the whole point of this discussion was to compare how much Canadians pay for fuel vs. Americans (or others in the world). And if it is, then converting units (both volumetric and monetary) to like kinds is important to that discussion.
You Crazy Canucks!

I think the discussion started with the statement that Canada is a more ideal EV region because there is a large gap between the cost of electricity and the price of gas, in whatever currency you wish, and I'll add in units of cents per mile. I.e. if you have cheap electricity and expensive gas, it's more compelling to move to an EV than if you have the reverse situation (like NJ does: cheap gas, expensive electricity).

You Crazy Canucks!

I think the discussion started with the statement that Canada is a more ideal EV region because there is a large gap between the cost of electricity and the price of gas, in whatever currency you wish, and I'll add in units of cents per mile. I.e. if you have cheap electricity and expensive gas, it's more compelling to move to an EV than if you have the reverse situation (like NJ does: cheap gas, expensive electricity).

:)

You Crazy Canucks!

Oh, ok. If it’s just electric verse gasoline, then yes the monetary units will cancel out, and are irrelevant when quoting the ratio. But you still need to get to similar units. $/liter or gallon is not directly comparable to kWh. You need to either convert to energy content (probably in joules), or even more useful - $/distance travelled, therefore taking into account efficiencies all the way to the wheel.

I'm in the same situation as you. Have you picked up your car yet?

It is frustrating, but I wouldn’t say they’re lying.
What makes more sense Arunbansl:

1.They lied to you, to purposely mess up your day, so they could appear faster than they are by 3 days.

Or

2. They have actual logistics problems given the pace Tesla is running, while learning how to sell and deliver thousands of cars all at once for the first time. ...?

Reactions: McCaesar
My delivery experience was excellent. Picked my M3 last Thursday in Mississauga Int. Ctr. Arrived 1/2 hour early for my given time, Tesla crew came to get us to within a minute of the given time, showed us the car in doors under bright lights, absolutely flawless, then spent all of three whole minutes signing the paper work, waiting in the lounge for a mere ten minutes, then another Telsa crew took us out to the parking lot whereby they completed all the presets (and there are many) for both my wife and I and answered any questions we had. What a wonderful experience. I'll never go to a Dealership again. Period. Full Stop.