Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, not sure how helpful it will be to everyone, but thought I would share my experience of being a new driver getting Tesla insured.
I managed to place an order for an existing MYLR on Friday.
As of now, my profile for this order of existing inventory shows EDD of April 29 - May 05. And NO VIN on website (checked source code too). However, an agent from Tesla Lawrence did email me the VIN.
So obviously now that I have VIN, I start shopping for insurance. The cheapest quote I got by quite an amount was RBC. BUT turns out, some insurance companies like RBC take around 14 days to process your application. And of course, Tesla will NOT hold the car for even a day!
I called Tesla again and even the agent was understanding and said it's apparently an Ontario thing and it's becoming common these days.
My choices now are:
  • Take delivery by insuring it with some other companies where the rate is close to double!
  • Reject the delivery and wait for my older MYLR order (I didnt cancel it yet) to come through. It's still stuck on July 30-Sept 10, which for me is not suitable at all.
  • Come tomorrow, look around even more companies like desjardins that even the Tesla agent on the phone was recommending. And hope that the processing time is not too long.
So frustrating that Tesla has absolutely no issue making us wait >7 months with BS communications related to delivery, but won't wait even a few days while the customer is getting everything ready (few insurance companies don't finalize the application without VIN).

TL;DR: If you have no insurance history, getting insurance can take longer than expected. So, start looking into insurance asap and see if the insurance company will accept the application without vin.

So, not sure how helpful it will be to everyone, but thought I would share my experience of being a new driver getting Tesla insured.
As of now, my profile for this order of existing inventory shows EDD of April 29 - May 05. And NO VIN on website (checked source code too). However, an agent from Tesla Lawrence did email me the VIN.
So obviously now that I have VIN, I start shopping for insurance. The cheapest quote I got by quite an amount was RBC. BUT turns out, some insurance companies like RBC take around 14 days to process your application. And of course, Tesla will NOT hold the car for even a day!
I called Tesla again and even the agent was understanding and said it's apparently an Ontario thing and it's becoming common these days.
My choices now are:
  • Take delivery by insuring it with some other companies where the rate is close to double!
  • Reject the delivery and wait for my older MYLR order (I didnt cancel it yet) to come through. It's still stuck on July 30-Sept 10, which for me is not suitable at all.
  • Come tomorrow, look around even more companies like desjardins that even the Tesla agent on the phone was recommending. And hope that the processing time is not too long.
So frustrating that Tesla has absolutely no issue making us wait >7 months with BS communications related to delivery, but won't wait even a few days while the customer is getting everything ready (few insurance companies don't finalize the application without VIN).

TL;DR: If you have no insurance history, getting insurance can take longer than expected. So, start looking into insurance asap and see if the insurance company will accept the application without vin.
Wow, that is quite a nightmare situation that i hope to avoid. When i did my quote with CAA, they told me that it would just take a day to process after i get an actual vin. I hope that CAA is right when the time comes. Maybe give them a call as they gave me the lowest rate since they offer a discount for EV's. I am a bit shocked when you say it takes 14 days to insure. Is this because you have no insurance history?

My EDD Just got bumped. Original order said June 2022, been stuck on June 3-July 1 since late January. Just got pushed to July 9- August 20!!!!
Why?!?!?!? My Wife is due right at the end of August with our 3rd kid and thought I had plenty of time to take delivery before adding the stress of it to our situation. This could get interesting, might need a vehicle before then. So now what do I do?

My choices now are:

Wow. This is super useful. I am on the same boat as you, where RBC is my cheapest quote and rest of them are literally double the premium. However I do have driving experience. My delivery date is scheduled for the May 10. Do you say I have to get the process started with RBC now?

Wow. This is super useful. I am on the same boat as you, where RBC is my cheapest quote and rest of them are literally double the premium. However I do have driving experience. My delivery date is scheduled for the May 10. Do you say I have to get the process started with RBC now?
Always better to have the process started, so they can run your driving record and be ready to activate the insurance.

Definitely. What the RBC agent told me was that RBC will finalise application based on sample VIN. He literally said they google random VIN numbers and then change it once the VIN is assigned and application is accepted.

Btw have you checked Desjardins? I got a quote from them similar to rbc. Gonna call them tomorrow and hope they don't take long.

Btw did you mean insurance experience or driving? Its insurance we experience that matters more for these companies.

P.S if you want I can DM you the RBC agents number to you. I have spoken to him only once-twice but he seems helpful.

Wow, that is quite a nightmare situation that i hope to avoid. When i did my quote with CAA, they told me that it would just take a day to process after i get an actual vin. I hope that CAA is right when the time comes. Maybe give them a call as they gave me the lowest rate since they offer a discount for EV's. I am a bit shocked when you say it takes 14 days to insure. Is this because you have no insurance history?
Yeap that's right.
Based on what Tesla and RBC agent told me the processing time comes down to:
  • Who the actual underwriter/insurer is. In case of RBC, aviva is the underwriter. RBC is effectively middlemen. So takes a while. Desjardins are direct. Not sure of CAA.
  • According to the agent RBCs underwriters scrutinize application more which is why they take more time and give lower rates. Whereas others don't utilise lots of risk factors and they just lump you into the demographics, thus applications are quicker but more expensive as they price in higher risk drivers into it. Again, this is what the agent explained to me so take it with salt. We all know how agents can be.
I did try CAA but as I don't have insurance history (waited 3 years to save up lol) for me they are one of the most expensive. Td, rbc, Desjardins so far have given me the lowest rates.

We cant do nothing pr
Yeap that's right.
Based on what Tesla and RBC agent told me the processing time comes down to:
  • Who the actual underwriter/insurer is. In case of RBC, aviva is the underwriter. RBC is effectively middlemen. So takes a while. Desjardins are direct. Not sure of CAA.
  • According to the agent RBCs underwriters scrutinize application more which is why they take more time and give lower rates. Whereas others don't utilise lots of risk factors and they just lump you into the demographics, thus applications are quicker but more expensive as they price in higher risk drivers into it. Again, this is what the agent explained to me so take it with salt. We all know how agents can be.
I did try CAA but as I don't have insurance history (waited 3 years to save up lol) for me they are one of the most expensive. Td, rbc, Desjardins so far have given me the lowest rates.
@stinkycheese I'm also a first-time buyer in Canada but have a decade of driving experience elsewhere. The best rates till now (without VIN) are from TD, The personal, and Allstate(which takes home country records into account). Let me know if you have some insight that might help me

Are you guys able to just get whatever insurance you can, and then just cancel and switch? I'm in BC so we have no option besides govt. Insurance (icbc)

We cant do nothing pr

@stinkycheese I'm also a first-time buyer in Canada but have a decade of driving experience elsewhere. The best rates till now (without VIN) are from TD, The personal, and Allstate(which takes home country records into account). Let me know if you have some insight that might help me
Unless your previous insurance history was in US you will be considered new driver for most insurance companies.
Look into Desjardins as well. I am hoping they dont take a lot of time to process application. They quoted me rates similar to rbc and were the lowest.
If you know a broker get talking to them. Some of them might be able to help you submit the application without vin.

P.S thanks for letting us know about allstate, personal. Will look into them

In Ontario, we are usually locked in to a 1 year term. You can always switch, but there is a penalty, could be 1 to 2 months premium. TD has discounts for alumni and group coverage for some larger employers and associations. I was with them for 13 yrs and just switched to Caa as, Caa rates were 40% less. Rates vary based on age, driving record etc from company to company, should shop around every few yrs.

Reactions: GigaToronto
Happy to hear the price of the wall connector came down. Unhappy for me I already bought it and installed it. happy i didn't pay the even higher price about 4-5 months ago.

On insurance, I don't have a vin but have a EDD of May 18 to Jun 15. I'm glad i saw this thread because my current insurance renews May 4 (i'll be calling them today). I'm with TD and when I use their online tool, the rate comes out a lot higher than others. For me, CAA came out the lowest the last time i did some online quotes. I have my home insurance with TD and we had a claim 3 years ago for a flood so maybe that is affecting my quote. I bank with RBC but they didn't really give me a great rate (same as AVIVA - which after reading these posts makes sense as I believe they sold their insurance to AVIVA.

I will see if i can transition my current insurance to month-to-month and I'll sell my existing car when I get the MY.

There is a abundance of long range VIN's
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 13.09.31.png

while performance is a rare occurrence once or twice a week
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 13.10.18.png

Basically, Tesla has been ignoring MYP stuff since April 1st

Maybe things are turning around.

My OD for my MYLR is 10/29 and last week I complained about having an EDD of Sept 28 - Nov 23. A few days ago it moved up to August - Sept and this morning is now May 17 - May 29. That's a significant jump and means I'm now within a 14 day window (on the early end of the spectrum) but until I have a VIN, I'm not going to bother with financing or really getting my hopes up either way.

Maybe things are turning around.

My OD for my MYLR is 10/29 and last week I complained about having an EDD of Sept 28 - Nov 23. A few days ago it moved up to August - Sept and this morning is now May 17 - May 29. That's a significant jump and means I'm now within a 14 day window (on the early end of the spectrum) but until I have a VIN, I'm not going to bother with financing or really getting my hopes up either way.
Did you complain to Tesla HQ or dealer? My Sep order is still showing July-Sep EDD and the dealer cant do anything.

Did you complain to Tesla HQ or dealer? My Sep order is still showing July-Sep EDD and the dealer cant do anything.

I emailed my SA and he said he'd send a note to the Logistics/Planning team at the factory to see if it can be expedited. I'm unsure if this made a difference or even if that team has seen his note as it's possible this is all a coincidence. I'm also fully aware this can all revert again tomorrow and my EDD could push back into the summer again. Nothing would surprise me with Tesla at this stage.