Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian 8.0 topic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the EV firmware tracker, only 2 Canadian cars have reported 8.0 and it looks like the US distribution has been halted today.

US distribution might actually be completed!
In the EV-FW tracker, 358 US cars got R8, 377 US cars had gotten 2.36.31 (R7) which was the patch received just before R8 roll-out started.
There is a total of almost 600 US cars in the tracker but that is over many years, so the best measure of the 'active' members we have is this last R7 patch update. This means that pretty much all active members of EV-FW in the US have it.

I would discount the Canadian R8 we see as 'anomalies' until we have at least a couple more.
It was stated only US would benefit from the roll-out at first (don't remember where).

I just had a Tesla ranger visit. He usually forces an update to the latest firmware available but he said he couldn't even pull v8 onto his laptop yet. So it's definitely not available in Canada yet. The vehicles that got the update were either by mistake or they were American vehicles (or perhaps directly picked up from the Fremont factory where not all the Canadian settings were applied).

The software is definitely feature and region aware. While my VIN number is for a P85+ and the information blob from the remote API has "true" for the "Performance+" feature, my display (both instrument and console) only said P85 until a Tesla engineer remotely updated a setting that now makes it say P85+, and has persisted through updates. So some settings are unfortunately redundant. The same could apply for whatever way they identify a "Canadian" Tesla.

I'm one of the few Canadians to get 8.0
Honestly, it's not a big deal. The car doesn't go faster. It's just as fun to drive as it was with 7.1.
As said in LOTS of other posts: the regenerative braking is better. The Autopilot nag is bolder, more aggressive, and more frequent. There are issues reading music from the USB port, and music input source is gone from the scroll wheel, but I like the user interface update. I suspect there may be more bugs, and that they may be holding up a further release of the update - but I haven't seen them.

Anyone in my neck of the woods is welcome to have a peek at it.....

Reactions: Jaff
I'm one of the few Canadians to get 8.0
Honestly, it's not a big deal. The car doesn't go faster. It's just as fun to drive as it was with 7.1.
As said in LOTS of other posts: the regenerative braking is better. The Autopilot nag is bolder, more aggressive, and more frequent. There are issues reading music from the USB port, and music input source is gone from the scroll wheel, but I like the user interface update. I suspect there may be more bugs, and that they may be holding up a further release of the update - but I haven't seen them.

Anyone in my neck of the woods is welcome to have a peek at it.....

If you wish to contribute to release tracking and improve the information found here:
Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Please take the time to update Firmware Tracker with:
Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App (look the same but they are different, login link)

Thanks!