Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian 8.0 topic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I changed Slacker to 320kbps on my phone, and now it's buffering slowly again in the car, so I think it picked up the change. My phone app was set on 64 after I installed 8.0, even though it was on 320 before. If you use Slacker you might want to check. You can email Tesla and get your slacker login info if you dont already have it.

So, I changed Slacker to 320kbps on my phone, and now it's buffering slowly again in the car, so I think it picked up the change. My phone app was set on 64 after I installed 8.0, even though it was on 320 before. If you use Slacker you might want to check. You can email Tesla and get your slacker login info if you dont already have it.
I doubt it - people claimed this in the past but Slacker was clearly still using 128kbps files. You can tell for sure by monitoring the amount of data that gets downloaded when you start a new song. When it is 128kbps it will use about 1MB for every minute of music. 320 will use about 2.5MB per minute.

A few ways. I used a wifi hotspot that shows how much data is used in real time. Your phone may also show how much data is used by a tethered device so you could try tethering your car to your phone - if your phone gives you this data. Or your router may show how much data each connected client uses - so you can connect to your wifi and then try playing a few songs and see how much data is pulled.

A few ways. I used a wifi hotspot that shows how much data is used in real time. Your phone may also show how much data is used by a tethered device so you could try tethering your car to your phone - if your phone gives you this data. Or your router may show how much data each connected client uses - so you can connect to your wifi and then try playing a few songs and see how much data is pulled.

Too much work, lol.... And I don't tether data

Until someone proves otherwise I am going to bet that we continue to get 128 kbps streams. Especially since Tesla is supposed to be moving to Spotify shortly, why change the Slacker process when it is about to be terminated.

Overall I like the update, especially the media player. My only issue, which is a biggie, is when the map is at the top and the app bar buttons automatically hides away, it is a big distraction from the road to try to get another app by forcing me to do extra taps on a not so clear target to turn the app bar back on. I would really like to be able to turn off the auto hide app bar function. I feel forced to put the map at the bottom (which really needs to be at the top) so the auto hide app bar doesn't happen and the app bar stays on. Am I the only one who thinks this is a driving distraction?

Reactions: mknox and Imafrog
My only issue, which is a biggie, is when the map is at the top and the app bar buttons automatically hides away, it is a big distraction from the road to try to get another app by forcing me to do extra taps on a not so clear target to turn the app bar back on. I would really like to be able to turn off the auto hide app bar function. I feel forced to put the map at the bottom (which really needs to be at the top) so the auto hide app bar doesn't happen and the app bar stays on. Am I the only one who thinks this is a driving distraction?
I totally agree.

This has been called "the biggest refresh in the UI since the introduction of the Model S". I don't know if that is the case as the dashboard has very few changes, mainly the icon for Autosteer, etc. The dashboard changed far more with V7. But certainly the centre console has changed a lot, especially the media screens.

One thing that I don't like is that I find it hard to predict when the car is going to use the upper or lower half of the screen when you click one of the top row icons. My default is to have the camera on the top half of the screen and Nav on the lower half of the screen. IMHO this is the safest way to go if you use your camera while driving to help to check your blind spot as it requires just a slight shift down in your field of view. But the car now REALLY wants the Nav screen in the top half. And when you start using the other screens, like the phone or energy screen, it seems to want to nuke everything other than Nav.

Personally I don't use the Nav for Navigating as I use Waze on my phone which is suction cupped to the dashboard as Waze is 10X better than the Tesla. But I do like to see the maps for traffic flow as I drive the 401 to/from work each day.

Instead of tapping the button, drag it to the window you wantto see it in.

Overall I like the update, especially the media player. My only issue, which is a biggie, is when the map is at the top and the app bar buttons automatically hides away, it is a big distraction from the road to try to get another app by forcing me to do extra taps on a not so clear target to turn the app bar back on. I would really like to be able to turn off the auto hide app bar function. I feel forced to put the map at the bottom (which really needs to be at the top) so the auto hide app bar doesn't happen and the app bar stays on. Am I the only one who thinks this is a driving distraction?
This is about the only time I use the AP, when I need to fiddle with the centre console screen, or reach for something.

Overall I like the update, especially the media player. My only issue, which is a biggie, is when the map is at the top and the app bar buttons automatically hides away, it is a big distraction from the road to try to get another app by forcing me to do extra taps on a not so clear target to turn the app bar back on. I would really like to be able to turn off the auto hide app bar function. I feel forcepd to put the map at the bottom (which really needs to be at the top) so the auto hide app bar doesn't happen and the app bar stays on. Am I the only one who thinks this is a driving distraction?
When the map hides the app bar buttons at top of the screen, tapping once anywhere on the map unhides the app buttons. So only one one extra tap. It doesn't really bother me, though I suppose it'd be nice to have the option to turn off auto-hide.

Also, re:which app appears where on the screen now in 8.0 - the release notes explains that the nav or rear camera now default to top of the screen when selected, though you can swap top and bottom around like before. This works for me since I generally only want to see nav or rear camera on the top, and don't normally use both of those simultaneously.

I'm generally liking 8.0 so far (I updated just before leaving on a big road trip, ~1700km into it so far). My main UI complaint so far, as noted by others elsewhere, is the loss of the quick alpha-index scroll bar on the right to quickly scroll through a long list of artists on USB media.