Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know. I just tap my ChargePoint card, but that's convenient if you can also use the station without the need of another account/card.

Remember a generation ago when our parents had a card for gas, a card for each department store, a card for the train, a card for each different vendor because AMEX, MC or Visa wasn't really established yet. Luckily those days are here and we no longer have to carry all those cards in our fat wallets! Well this whole charging vendor thing is trying to start that up again - I signed up for a ChargePoint card and already misplaced it (due to infrequent use). Why do these vendors bother to revive this concept? ApplePay and Google Android Pay will eventually eliminate the MC/Visa further. The future is simplification not complication.

you will notice that the input charge rate will go down and that also means your KPH will also go down.
My comment was independent of rate or time. Yes, at the top of the SoC it takes longer to increase the charge by 1 kWh, but how many km of charge that produces in this one car doesn't seem to change much at any part of the SoC continuum. There are differences outside the range of equivalences I mentioned that I can't account for.

Remember a generation ago when our parents had a card for gas, a card for each department store, a card for the train, a card for each different vendor because AMEX, MC or Visa wasn't really established yet. Luckily those days are here and we no longer have to carry all those cards in our fat wallets! Well this whole charging vendor thing is trying to start that up again - I signed up for a ChargePoint card and already misplaced it (due to infrequent use). Why do these vendors bother to revive this concept? ApplePay and Google Android Pay will eventually eliminate the MC/Visa further. The future is simplification not complication.
Those days never really went a day as now you have a loyalty card for almost every store - Shoppers Optimum, Loblaw PC Plus, Esso Extra card, Air Miles (thankfully mulit-vendor). Thank goodness you can put most of these on your phone these days.

Reactions: Falkirk and mknox
Kootenays in British Columbia to go big on support for electric vehicles. 13 DC fast charge stations included in rollout through December 2018
accelerate-kootenays-map-full-width.jpg

Kootenays to go big on support for electric vehicles

Kootenays in British Columbia to go big on support for electric vehicles. 13 DC fast charge stations included in rollout through December 2018
accelerate-kootenays-map-full-width.jpg

Kootenays to go big on support for electric vehicles
Even though I will probably not ever use the Kootenays system, I just love to see is type of story on the push to accelerate the ev revolution. At the other end of the country, New Brunswick is going to be making great strides this summer installing DC fast chargers as well. The momentum is building, slowly but surely....

With the exception of NB, which is good to see, this seems to continue to be a case of the rich getting richer - at least from the Tesla perspective. Threads in the last day or two about Ontario and BC getting lots more charges, including L3s and they are already (or soon will be) well served with SCs. Meanwhile in Saskatchewan...

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
The Electric Circuit CHAdeMO in Temiscouata-sur-le-lac has been installed on its platform and is only waiting utility hookup or testing. It's off the Trans-Canada 64 km SE of Rivière-du-Loup and 329 km NW of Fredericton.
This is great. Each summer we would charge to the max in Drummondville at the SC, then use the La Pocatiere ChaDeMo to fill up before hitting the L3 wasteland further east. Now with Riviere du Loup and this one it will shift the whole process further east. And if the new NB ChaDeMos are up and running by June even better!

Reactions: Jaff
New Brunswick's first fast charger was discovered today.

Lincoln Big Stop | None, NB | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

It looks to be nearly complete!

BC just announced 50 million bucks of EV charging development over a 5 year period. Here is a cut and paste from the story.

"
"The B.C. Liberals are committing $50 million to build 4,321 new charging stations over the next five years.

The bulk of the money, $38 million, will go to level 2 chargers that replenish a car's electric battery in five hours. The remaining $12 million will be invested in 110 fast chargers, which can have a car topped up in 30 minutes."

Just called Tesla in MTL for adaptor price..... 690$ + taxes= 793,33$ Is it good to buy even in US a used one?

Wow! That seems like a lot more than I paid for mine when I got it a while back. I can't seem to find my receipt but thought it was in the $300 to $350 range.

Any North American adapter should work just fine if you can pick up a used on for less money.

BC just announced 50 million bucks of EV charging development over a 5 year period. Here is a cut and paste from the story.

"
"The B.C. Liberals are committing $50 million to build 4,321 new charging stations over the next five years.

The bulk of the money, $38 million, will go to level 2 chargers that replenish a car's electric battery in five hours. The remaining $12 million will be invested in 110 fast chargers, which can have a car topped up in 30 minutes."
[rant on]This is the sort of two-faced response one should expect from a political party that doesn't believe in a technology, doesn't understand it, and doesn't walk it, but is desperate for votes. I haven't counted them, but I bet a publicly traded automobile company (and only one company) has provided/installed, at it's own expense, more charging systems in BC than the BC government has, and yet customers of that company are specifically excluded from receiving grants available through other EV manufacturers who contribute absolutely nothing to charging infrastructure. Furthermore, the systems that the government is paying to install are entirely inappropriate. L2 chargers are not a good solution for travelers and can be provided inexpensively by businesses that wish to attract customers who will be visiting for a few hours or more. And, that same excluded EV manufacturer, is providing L2 equipment for free!

Long term, L3 chargers are what are needed. The BC government has been installing CHAdeMO chargers throughout the province, but to my knowledge they are all single-headed, so if you want to use one, you are more and more likely going to have to wait. That's if they are functional, and given the zero redundancy of the design along with a history of month long outages, it would be better if the government let someone who knows what they are doing, do the actual work. [rant off]