Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It still shows a wrench icon in Plugshare. I am planning a trip from Toronto to PEI and back and this was one spot I considered but it is risky to rely on right now - not sure it would work with Teslas.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do/visit while charging there?
It would definitely work, provided the station is opened by then. I am quite confident either Lincoln or Youngs Cove will be open by then, perhaps even Salisbury.

[rant on]This is the sort of two-faced response one should expect from a political party that doesn't believe in a technology, doesn't understand it, and doesn't walk it, but is desperate for votes. I haven't counted them, but I bet a publicly traded automobile company (and only one company) has provided/installed, at it's own expense, more charging systems in BC than the BC government has, and yet customers of that company are specifically excluded from receiving grants available through other EV manufacturers who contribute absolutely nothing to charging infrastructure. Furthermore, the systems that the government is paying to install are entirely inappropriate. L2 chargers are not a good solution for travelers and can be provided inexpensively by businesses that wish to attract customers who will be visiting for a few hours or more. And, that same excluded EV manufacturer, is providing L2 equipment for free!

Long term, L3 chargers are what are needed. The BC government has been installing CHAdeMO chargers throughout the province, but to my knowledge they are all single-headed, so if you want to use one, you are more and more likely going to have to wait. That's if they are functional, and given the zero redundancy of the design along with a history of month long outages, it would be better if the government let someone who knows what they are doing, do the actual work. [rant off]

None of this is relevant. The BC Liberals are done, Premiere Clark knew this, and she cynically made this promise hoping to undermine the NDP and Greens by promising to do something that the Liberals think sounds like something the Greens would do.

It's a sad joke by a desperate political party trying to cling to some hope of staying in power.

Neither it, nor anything else they did in the past week, succeeded in swaying even one vote in the legislature and their government has now fallen.

That means there will either be another election or the Lieutenant Governor will make the NDP leader the new premiere. In the first scenario, I'm hopeful that the Liberals' behaviour will sway a few seats to NDP or Green and the outcome will be the same as if the LG just named Mr. Horgan premiere tonight. But we'll know shorty if BC is going to be forced into another election.

In any event, assuming the Liberals cannot win after this cynical bullshit, there probably WILL be an electrification push, but it won't be from the Liberals.

• Disagree
Reactions: Porfiry
New Brunswick's first fast charger was discovered today.

Lincoln Big Stop | None, NB | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

It looks to be nearly complete!
Looks like this is one of the ten announced by NB Power . Fast chargers are being installed at the following locations along the Trans-Canada Highway:
  1. Edmundston Truck Stop, Edmundston
  2. Irving Oil Grand Falls Big Stop, Grand Falls (St. André)
  3. Johnson Guardian, Perth-Andover
  4. Murray’s Irving, Woodstock
  5. Petro-Canada / Acorn Restaurant, Prince William
  6. Irving Oil Lincoln Big Stop, Lincoln (Waasis)
  7. Youngs Cove Irving Oil, Youngs Cove
  8. Irving Oil Salisbury Big Stop, Salisbury
  9. Magnetic Hill Irving, Moncton
  10. Irving Oil Aulac Big Stop, Aulac
Marked these on a map to see how this looks:
DCFC.png

Does anyone have any intel regarding the L2 and L3 chargers at the Toronto Cooper Koo Family YMCA on Cherry St? It's an amazing location for much needed downtown L3 infrastructure.

250 Volts of Change

The location was listed as Under Construction on Plugshare last summer, and there were 6 L2 chargers, and 1 Combo L3 charger, all wired up seemingly ready to go at the time. NONE are activated then, and nothing has changed since. Such a shame.

YMCA staff have no idea who is in charge or what the situation is. The listing has disappeared from Plugshare.
For those following the Toronto Cooper Koo Family YMCA fast charger saga, their equipment is now showing signs of life on Plugshare. I have no idea how or why now vs 2 years ago, but it may actually be "coming soon" and this is very exciting for someone living in Leslieville!

I'd be interested to know just who is using these CHAdeMo chargers. I'm suspicious that a significant percentage of the use is by Tesla owners with adapters, which raises the question as to just why governments are so set on installing CHAdeMO?

Society needs to move on from old technology. If someone dropped a CHAdeMO connector and a Tesla connector off on your desk, which one who you choose? Maybe it makes more sense for governments to install Tesla connectors and leave it up to other manufacturers to produce an adapter - when they get around to producing a vehicle that can make use of L3 chargers.

I'd be interested to know just who is using these CHAdeMo chargers. I'm suspicious that a significant percentage of the use is by Tesla owners with adapters, which raises the question as to just why governments are so set on installing CHAdeMO?

Society needs to move on from old technology. If someone dropped a CHAdeMO connector and a Tesla connector off on your desk, which one who you choose? Maybe it makes more sense for governments to install Tesla connectors and leave it up to other manufacturers to produce an adapter - when they get around to producing a vehicle that can make use of L3 chargers.

Okay, I realize this is a Tesla enthusiasts forum, but wow, that is a pretty Tesla-centric point of view. My guess is that there are a lot more CHAdeMO enabled Nissan Leafs on our roads than there are Teslas with owners who actually have CHAdeMO adapters. Not to mention other CHAdeMO-enabled cars nor the CCS-enabled cars that can use these dual-standard stations as well. (They are not just CHAdeMO).

FWIW, I see lots of non-Tesla cars at these stations. The provincial government couldn't possibly get away with funding a proprietary standard and just tell other auto makers to "suck it up" and adopt that standard. That would be ludicrous.

Okay, I realize this is a Tesla enthusiasts forum, but wow, that is a pretty Tesla-centric point of view. My guess is that there are a lot more CHAdeMO enabled Nissan Leafs on our roads than there are Teslas with owners who actually have CHAdeMO adapters. Not to mention other CHAdeMO-enabled cars nor the CCS-enabled cars that can use these dual-standard stations as well. (They are not just CHAdeMO).

FWIW, I see lots of non-Tesla cars at these stations. The provincial government couldn't possibly get away with funding a proprietary standard and just tell other auto makers to "suck it up" and adopt that standard. That would be ludicrous.

I agree that it is a Tesla-centric point of view, not to mention my point of view, as I don't see very many Leafs around the Okanagan. It's interesting (and good, from an EV point of view) to hear that they are much more common elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary. I know that Tesla developed their own charging system, but haven't they made the patents open for any company that wants to use them? Are they asking for a licensing fee?

And, back to an engineering POV, why would one choose CHAdeMO over a Tesla connector? Hasn't the EU regulated CHAdeMO out of new charging sites? Are we stuck with 'bad' 'old' technology in a sector that is growing by orders of magnitude just because that technology was first?

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that those of us not driving Teslas do not use DCFC. We drive a leaf and routinely see leafs, bolts and i3's and a few ford focuses at Okanagan and Shuswap DCFC's (they are all chademo/CCS combo units.) We can't afford a tesla but a 200 Km range leaf suits all our needs BECAUSE OF DCFC locations. We rarely see Teslas here. Maybe I'm missing your point.

Last edited:

Especially given that the SAE is the group that decides such things, and they've supported CCS. Certainly I prefer the Tesla system, but really we just need a single system. If that's to be CCS, then let's bloody get on with it.

Reactions: Falkirk and mrElbe
Especially given that the SAE is the group that decides such things, and they've supported CCS. Certainly I prefer the Tesla system, but really we just need a single system. If that's to be CCS, then let's bloody get on with it.

No, you don't. All you need is complete coverage as volume builds, which means a manufacturer that is committed to support the socket and protocol they use.

We've managed to get by with diesel and gasoline vehicles. Why do we need to have all electric cars the same when you can support multiple standards with an extra cable and some software?

No, you don't. All you need is complete coverage as volume builds, which means a manufacturer that is committed to support the socket and protocol they use.

We've managed to get by with diesel and gasoline vehicles. Why do we need to have all electric cars the same when you can support multiple standards with an extra cable and some software?

To have multiple electrical standards makes zero sense. There are technical differences between gas and diesel vehicles that make one or the other more suitable for different applications. That's not so with electrical vehicles. A kwh is a kwh.

What you're advocating is to have two different types of incompatible fueling nozzles, each providing the exact same fuel.

To have multiple electrical standards makes zero sense. There are technical differences between gas and diesel vehicles that make one or the other more suitable for different applications. That's not so with electrical vehicles. A kwh is a kwh.

What you're advocating is to have two different types of incompatible fueling nozzles, each providing the exact same fuel.
We should not equate electrical standards with ICE refueling ones. The ICE nozzles where standardized, more-or-less simultaneously with the development of the petroleum industry. Electricity standards have developed their enormous variety before anything like electrical grids were imagined. They are not in any way analogous because of that.

Adapters for electrical connectors are part of daily life for international travelers and for people who live in areas that have multiple national standards (Australia, Brazil to Yemen and Zambia, all of which I have lived and/or worked in) so that even the same house often has multiple standards.

As for BEV's, the Australians may have the most complex situation, just check it out here (the round Australia thread is pretty revealing) but everyone has the issue. There are now available adapters for CHAdeMO from non-CHAdeMO that work nicely for cars like Tesla Roadster and Toyota RAV4. Of course the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter we all know. There is also a non-Tesla to Tesla adapter that works of Destination chargers, obviously not at the moment for Superchargers. It is a matter of time for CharIN agreement to allow some type of CCS adapters including level 3.

Adapters and plug variants are not fun, but the world of electricity is full of phase inconsistencies, grounding/neutral inconsistencies, voltage variants, amperage constraints plus the almost trivial plug differences. We might as well accept all that and help devise practical adaptations. World standards will not happen, very few national ones will happen that require retrofitting, even regional/local ones will not be consistent. Frankly, if standards have not made it to electricity thus far they will not happen for the sake of BEV's. Even the CharIN standards are being applied to new installations thus far, not retrofitting, and the CharIN standard itself accepts J1772 in NA and Mennekes (different flavors but look the same) elsewhere, the adds the Rube Goldberg style dual pins for L3.

Yes a kWh is a kWh, but different applications require different input and output constraints. Optimal construction is not unlike optimal ICE. The chief difference is that BEV's are more closely analogous to gas turbines than they are to other ICE, in that Gas Turbines are inherently flex-fuel even though they can be optimized fro one specific fuel. Electrical connections and inputs can be nearly universal too, but they will be optimized for specific applications.

We should quit moaning about which standard and get busy making adapters/plugs!

Reactions: mrElbe
Yes a kWh is a kWh, but different applications require different input and output constraints. Optimal construction is not unlike optimal ICE. The chief difference is that BEV's are more closely analogous to gas turbines than they are to other ICE, in that Gas Turbines are inherently flex-fuel even though they can be optimized fro one specific fuel. Electrical connections and inputs can be nearly universal too, but they will be optimized for specific applications.

We should quit moaning about which standard and get busy making adapters/plugs!

Nope. I will concede that there can or should be different standards for different output levels. So, we can have L1, L2, L3, and perhaps L4. There's no good reason to have more than one type of public charging plug or to require that we carry around adapters.

SAE/CCS and Tesla both did a good job in that L3/L2 are intercompatible, not requiring multiple sockets. We are a stone's throw away from one standard. Let's quit moaning, and push Tesla to move to CCS.