Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I will concede that there can or should be different standards for different output levels. So, we can have L1, L2, L3, and perhaps L4. There's no good reason to have more than one type of public charging plug or to require that we carry around adapters.

SAE/CCS and Tesla both did a good job in that L3/L2 are intercompatible, not requiring multiple sockets. We are a stone's throw away from one standard. Let's quit moaning, and push Tesla to move to CCS.
Of course I agree with you. As a political realist I doubt that we'll be successful in making CharIN a global standard, but we should try. Tesla is already a full member of CharIN and European Teslas are already CharIn compatible. Even within CharIN there are different grounding/neutral and charging plug preferences so a simple single start is not quite achieved even then. Still we should try.

I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary. I know that Tesla developed their own charging system, but haven't they made the patents open for any company that wants to use them? Are they asking for a licensing fee?

And, back to an engineering POV, why would one choose CHAdeMO over a Tesla connector? Hasn't the EU regulated CHAdeMO out of new charging sites? Are we stuck with 'bad' 'old' technology in a sector that is growing by orders of magnitude just because that technology was first?

Remember that the Tesla plug we are talking about here is only used in the US, Canada and Japan (as far as I know) while Europe, Asia and other areas use a different connector and plug.

Most public L3 stations in Canada are dual standard with both CHAdeMO and CCS cables. Tesla built their adapter, for whatever reason, to work with CHAdeMO.

Remember that the Tesla plug we are talking about here is only used in the US, Canada and Japan (as far as I know) while Europe, Asia and other areas use a different connector and plug.

Most public L3 stations in Canada are dual standard with both CHAdeMO and CCS cables. Tesla built their adapter, for whatever reason, to work with CHAdeMO.
The reason Tesla did the CHAdeMO adapter was that it was mandatory in order to do business in Japan. Customers would have laughed them out of the country if they didn't have it.

I believe Taiwan is one more market that uses the North American Tesla connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and mknox
The press release mentions "Sydney to Yarmouth" - I hope that they don't exclude the western half of Cape Breton as it would be nice to be able to drive the Cabot Trail in an EV. That side of the island is also seeing increased tourism as 3 of the top 10 golf courses in Canada happen to be there - two in Inverness and one in Ingonish.

I sent an email last week to onroute ONroute | Homepage asking if they are going to put in any ev stations at their locations and if so, what the time frame would be?

No reply yet.

At one time there was a requirement that all new Enroute locations be pre-wired for EV charging. Some of them had a sign that said "location reserved for future electrical vehicle charging" or something of that sort. Oddly they took all of the signs out 3-4 years ago.

I don't think it would have made a difference. I doubt that they were wired for any high power DC chargers.

Ya, I found that thread where they discussed this issue. I was highly disappointed, but there are enough SC charging stations for me to go to Windsor and back with no fear of running out of juice. It would make sense to have either SC's or some other charging units at these locations due to the "all in one building" convenience.

I sent an email last week to onroute ONroute | Homepage asking if they are going to put in any ev stations at their locations and if so, what the time frame would be?

No reply yet.

The problem is that most ONroute sites are way out at the skinny end of the electrical distribution system and it is difficult to get the kind of power there for EV fast charging. I know there are some battery storage systems being discussed (and possibly piloted) which would allow battery banks to be kind of trickle charged via what capacity exists, them using the batteries to quickly "dump" power into cars. Needless to say, this is expensive to do.

The problem is that most ONroute sites are way out at the skinny end of the electrical distribution system and it is difficult to get the kind of power there for EV fast charging. I know there are some battery storage systems being discussed (and possibly piloted) which would allow battery banks to be kind of trickle charged via what capacity exists, them using the batteries to quickly "dump" power into cars. Needless to say, this is expensive to do.
And it also may not be able to keep up to demand. You could easily envision long weekends when there is lots of demand for the EV chargers and very little time for the batteries to get recharged.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrElbe

No reply yet.

Finally received a reply, looks like it's not happening at this time:

Hi Stephen:

Thank you for your interest in Onroute. At this time we are not exploring opportunities within the EV charging markets.

Regards

Sylvia Jagdeo

Canadian Tire clearly isn't interested, and they have all rights to automotive service. The restaurants might be very happy to have EV chargers there - people will eat while charging - but they can't do anything automotive.

Another brilliant plan by the Ontario government. They required the sites to support future free EV charging capability, without requiring them to ever actually install EV charging. And they separated the cost (Canadian tire) from the benefit (Restaurant business).

Conclusion: It will never happen.