Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I haven't stopped at an OnRoute in years, either.

Well okay I dropped in once to use the bathroom... but that's not much of a business model.

Unfortunately, they're located in the perfect position on the highway for a couple of stops when I travel to Windsor. Ironically, I don't get any gas as they're always more expensive. I only stop for bathroom breaks and coffee.

That's ok. Their loss. I have not stopped at one of their places for thre years now because of lack of charging. I just don't stop anywhere while travelling unless there is a charger. As more and more evs are bought they will eventually come around.

Yeah, I haven't stopped at an OnRoute in years, either..

You guys are making me feel guilty. I actually stop at OnRoutes all the time when I'm travelling. I agree that they are perfect spots geographically for charging stations, but as I've mentioned, electrically they are not. I hate to boycott for a situation that is likely beyond their reasonable control (i.e. could be hugely expensive to bring in the necessary electrical capacity).

You guys are making me feel guilty. I actually stop at OnRoutes all the time when I'm travelling. I agree that they are perfect spots geographically for charging stations, but as I've mentioned, electrically they are not. I hate to boycott for a situation that is likely beyond their reasonable control (i.e. could be hugely expensive to bring in the necessary electrical capacity).

I wouldn't call it a boycott. I simply have no reason to stop at them. I can wait for the Supercharger site; no need for an extraneous stop.

Is there anywhere one can find out if this is in fact the case? These are big places that must have considerable power needs as it is.

It is of course going to be on a location-by-location basis, but when I take a cursory look at the sites I've been to, I notice that they are optimized for low electricity use (high efficiency lighting, gas heating/cooking etc.) and I see huge propane tanks on-site. There is often a gas fueled backup generator set on site as well.

Most sites are outside of municipalities and would be served by Hydro One Networks who have notoriously high rural delivery charges. In addition, the cost of "bringing in" power to these sites must be borne by the site owner (OnRoute) and cannot be spread into the rate-base (this is an OEB rule which makes sense if you think about it). In order to minimize those capital contributions toward infrastructure costs, they probably tried to minimize the amount of new electric utility infrastructure that needed to be built.

Keep in mind that a single 240 volt HPWC will have an electrical demand equivalent to about 4 homes, and a 10-stall Supercharger site usually has a 1 MW (1,000 kW) dedicated utility transformer supplying it, which is about what a 400 home subdivision (without electric cars!) would draw.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a boycott. I simply have no reason to stop at them. I can wait for the Supercharger site; no need for an extraneous stop.

Maybe it's old age, but I find I like (or need) to stop more than I have to for charging anyway. For example, when I visit relatives in the Windsor area, I'll often stop at the Cambridge OnRoute for a coffee and later at the Dutton or Tilbury OnRoute for lunch or maybe another coffee. I will Supercharge at Comber, of course. If I decide to stop at the Woodstock Supercharger, I would likely skip the Cambridge ONRoute.

Maybe it's old age, but I find I like (or need) to stop more than I have to for charging anyway. For example, when I visit relatives in the Windsor area, I'll often stop at the Cambridge OnRoute for a coffee and later at the Dutton or Tilbury OnRoute for lunch or maybe another coffee. I will Supercharge at Comber, of course. If I decide to stop at the Woodstock Supercharger, I would likely skip the Cambridge ONRoute.
That's good. I assumed it was because of an enlarged prostate and the need for frequent pee stops:D! But seriously, I like to stop at places with chargers to encourage the places with businesses that put them in. But must admit in any 400 level highways with OnRoute stops, they are supplied with Superchargers so I have no need of the OnRoute stops anyway.

This maybe the first CHAdeMO in Alberta.
Interesting story about the company behind it.

Plugshare:

Londonderry Mall | Edmonton, AB | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

FLOAvailable
CCS DCFC, CHAdeMO DCFC
FLOAvailable
EV Plug (J1772)
FLOAvailable
EV Plug (J1772)
Address
100A 1-Londonderry Mall NW, Edmonton, AB T5C 3C8, Canada
Description
Charge your EV from the sun. Solar PV powered charging station. One Level 3 charging station with 2 plugs (CHAdeMO and SAE CCS combo with J1772). 2 Level 2 charging stations. Free for at least the next 2 months. Need to use either the FLO Mobile App or FLO RFID Card to operate

Facebook video:

Simons

CTV Clip:

Simons set to open in Londonderry

Business in Edmonton:

Simons in Londonderry Gets the Eco-Green Light Treatment - Business In Edmonton

Attachments

• PL1.jpg
    PL1.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 66
  • LP2.jpg
    LP2.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 51
  • LP4.jpg
    LP4.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 51
  • LP5.jpg
    LP5.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Jaff
Well mknox should know as he used to work at one of the electrical distribution companies that likely had OnRoute stations as customers, isn't that right Mike?
Actually I am glad I have learned that they have a legitimate reason not to have chargers. However, I still think ten years from now, when there are a lot more ev's and there are chargers all along the major 400 highways, that they will wish they had the capacity to attract that traffic.

Well mknox should know as he used to work at one of the electrical distribution companies that likely had OnRoute stations as customers, isn't that right Mike?

Yes, although no ONRoutes in our service territory. See my thoughts a bit up-thread here.

Actually I am glad I have learned that they have a legitimate reason not to have chargers. However, I still think ten years from now, when there are a lot more ev's and there are chargers all along the major 400 highways, that they will wish they had the capacity to attract that traffic.

One solution being investigated involves battery storage. The theory is that you slow charge a large battery bank from what utility power you have available and/or from solar, wind etc. You then can "dump" this power quickly into an EV during a charge cycle. Think of filling a bucket of water slowly, then later, pouring it out quickly. These are obviously expensive solutions, so making the business case for it will likely remain problematic for a while yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and mrElbe
Yes, although no ONRoutes in our service territory. See my thoughts a bit up-thread here.

One solution being investigated involves battery storage. The theory is that you slow charge a large battery bank from what utility power you have available and/or from solar, wind etc. You then can "dump" this power quickly into an EV during a charge cycle. Think of filling a bucket of water slowly, then later, pouring it out quickly. These are obviously expensive solutions, so making the business case for it will likely remain problematic for a while yet.

Mike, to the best of your knowledge, have any of the OnRoutes looked at adding solar to their rooftops / canopy / in any excess local land that they own?

Does anyone know how fast & reliable for those Lv3 at IKEA?

Always longline at Lawrence super charger, need some alternative Lv3

I use the L3 at the Etobicoke IKEA and once I figured out the weird authorization routine, it seems to be pretty reliable (Etobicoke is off line right now because they are refurbishing that part of the parking structure). Not as fast as a Supercharger, but close. If you go in for a meal or to browse around, you'll be fine.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric