TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Jul 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Under the same government program, 35 CHAdeMO are supposed to be installed between Ontario and Manitoba. However, they haven't released the cities yet. Nor do we know the network provider or the model of charging station that will be used (other than CHAdeMO/CCS 50 kW).

Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway

Companies don't like to acknowledge the elephant in the room, so the articles contains this quote.

This is perhaps the largest infrastructure project for electrical vehicles to be deployed at one time anywhere in the world,” said Elad Barak,

• Informative x 1
  2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The additional CHAdeMO in New Brunswick that are already functional are in bold.

1. Saint-Quentin
    2. Eel River Bar
    3. Bathurst
    4. Tracadie-Sheila
    5. Miramichi
    6. Doaktown
    7. Richibucto
    8. Rothesay
    9. Upper Letang.

Counting the installations over the Summer, 16 sites (15 NB Power + 1 Cadillac Fairview) are currently running in NB with the four not in bold to come.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  3. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Member

St Quentin is now active. Was opened 3-4 hours ago

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Can you use the Circuit Electrique card / app for these new chargers as well?

5. harry

harry Member

Card, yes. Don't know about the app.

• Informative x 1
  6. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Excellent. The card has worked flawlessly for me over the last 3 years, even if only actually used maybe five times (including the first Tesla to use a NB ChaDeMo charger....woo hoo!)

7. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Member

App works well yes

• Like x 1
  8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Don't use the Electric Circuit CHADEMO in Val d'Or, Quebec (Abitibi region) until further notice. There is a mystery of failing CHAdeMO adapters in the area and the common denominator seems to be the adapter failing after a visit to the Val d'Or station.

• Informative x 2
  9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That is bizarre. If this station is somehow damaging Tesla CHAdeMO adapters, what must it be doing to the electronics of cars with native CHAdeMO ports?

10. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare Member

Maybe they're turning into CCS ports

11. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Good question. If there's a problem it could take a long time to detect. The area is very isolated and gets minimal LEAF traffic.

12. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

• Informative x 3
  13. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Looks like I need to go kick some doors down. }B(

• Like x 1
  14. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

• Informative x 1
  15. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The problem has been fixed now. The manufacturer reports replacing a bad component in the station. They are offering a new CHAdeMO adapter and a $100 charging credit to to the Tesla owners known to have been affected by the problem.

• Informative x 3
  16. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Wow. That is very responsible of them.

Even more than before, I think that Ontario should have handed the bulk of ChaDeMo installations to Flo Network or Circuit Électrique rather than fund the KSI mess. Previous experience matters.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

You've got the responsibilities of parties involved confused. It's a common thing I've noticed in the critiques of KSI.

FLO doesn't install their own fast charging stations, AFAIK. This is still up to various contractors, municipalities, businesses, etc, to fund and locate these stations. FLO operates the internet infrastructure payment network, customer support services, etc.

AddEnergie manufacturers the stations, and when you buy a station from them, there's a mandatory 5 year Global management service which encompasses the payment network (FLO or branded otherwise), and mandatory prepaid maintenance fees for 5 years. FLO and AddEnergie are effectively the same company (who knows to what degree that is the case, but they seem attached at the hip) and FLO seems to be one example of their white label management service offering. NB Power's eCharge network would be another example.

"Going with KSI" is akin to saying "going with general contractor X" for FLO stations. KSI, opaquely, seems to operate myEVRoute payment and support network but I don't know for sure. It would be fair to say myEVRoute as a payment/support network has been bad but many other criticisms should land upon the hosts who haven't allocated enough electrical capacity to allow these stations to operate at full power, are charging too much for what they are offering. Criticisms about hardware working poorly belong with ChargePoint, as the supplier of the hardware.

What you are correct in saying is that "experience matters" in terms of being a network operator. FLO charges a premium for this -- $750 per fast charging station per year, mandatory 5 year pre-paid subscription. Maintenance fees are $750 per station per year again. (all figures here are from a year-old quote from AddEnergie). I suspect this was not something KSI was willing to play along with, figuring they could do it for cheaper. They were probably right. I'm not convinced AddEnergie has taken enough measures to drive the price of their products or services down. Unfortunately the end result for us now is lacklustre customer service from myEVroute, but I think the province would have had a very difficult time mandating one provider over another given the costs involved.

• Informative x 4
  18. Phillip L

Phillip L Gas Passer

Thank you @rypalmer . You are absolutely right about my confusion.

Maybe you can clarify this for me. When one goes to the Flo Network site to look up the chargers on their system, the Circuit Électrique chargers come up. What is the connection there?

19. ChooseGreen

ChooseGreen Member

Thanks for your insights Ryan; very helpful. I am having trouble with the statement that I picked out. It seems hard to believe that the geographically diverse set of stations that KSI is responsible for all seem to be limited to ~30 kW or lower. Simultaneously they seem to have the highest fee structure which has to be time-based due to our Ontario regs. The combination of the slow rates and high fees makes for a very high fee for few km of charge provided.

I feel as though if it were site and host-based issues, there would be some good KSI sites.

I'm really hoping I'm wrong on this.

• Like x 1
  20. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Same operation. Flo is the bilingual branding that came after Circuit Électrique network expanded outside Quebec, AFAIK.