Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good time to mention that most DCFC chargers (including ChargePoint's and ABB's) uses 277/480V not the 347/600V that is standard in Canada. BC Hydro require you to supply your own transformer for it for example. Ontario is probably not much better, though I don't know exactly what kind of power feed KSI used (but remember that 50kW is not the end of the world for DCFC charging).

Good time to mention that most DCFC chargers (including ChargePoint's and ABB's) uses 277/480V not the 347/600V that is standard in Canada. BC Hydro require you to supply your own transformer for it for example. Ontario is probably not much better, though I don't know exactly what kind of power feed KSI used (but remember that 50kW is not the end of the world for DCFC charging).
A 75 KVA 600/480 autotransformer is not an expensive or exotic piece of equipment, and available from several Canadian manufacturers (I sell for one of them). This isn't a barrier for supplying a DCFC.

A 75 KVA 600/480 autotransformer is not an expensive or exotic piece of equipment, and available from several Canadian manufacturers (I sell for one of them). This isn't a barrier for supplying a DCFC.
But the point is that having to use 277/480V instead of 347/600V is not particularly good especially when you are going beyond the current 50kW. The lower the voltage, the thicker the wires must be. And yes I wonder how they managed to get 277/480V at Tim Hortons or Scotiabank in the first place where many of the KSI chargers are installed.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread off and on, not really paying too much attention due to my M3 was probably going to be built late 2018. Fast forward to yesterday and I get my email saying I can configure.

Now the questions happen. I notice that different companies use different connector types and some companies use more than one connector type. Example, Flo has CHAdeMO and J-1772 connector types, but not the same type at every station.

My question is: Which type of connector does everyone use/have and which one is the best to get in terms of numbers (how many stations has that connector type? Or are they both just as popular and it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

I've been following this thread off and on, not really paying too much attention due to my M3 was probably going to be built late 2018. Fast forward to yesterday and I get my email saying I can configure.

Now the questions happen. I notice that different companies use different connector types and some companies use more than one connector type. Example, Flo has CHAdeMO and J-1772 connector types, but not the same type at every station.

My question is: Which type of connector does everyone use/have and which one is the best to get in terms of numbers (how many stations has that connector type? Or are they both just as popular and it doesn't matter?

Thanks.
Most DCFCs in Canada have both CHAdeMO and CCS by now, though there are still one CHAdeMO-only in Surrey, BC.

• Helpful
Reactions: SnoopyMarkham

Thanks.
@yuhong talked about the CCS/CHAdeMO. These are level 3 rapid, DC chargers. There are many more level 2 chargers "in the wild". All of the level 2 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) "chargers" have a J1772 plug as standard, unless it's a Tesla EVSE (Tesla calls this an HPWC). You will get a Tesla to J1772 charging adapter with your car. This means you can use both the J1772 and Tesla HPWC stations.

Tesla sells a CHAdeMO adapter, should you wish to use one. I have never needed to do so, as I use the SuperCharger network, and Overnight charging via destination chargers

See Plugshare for a station near you

will come with an adapter to connect the AC J-1772 connector to the car. At this time your car will not work with a CHADEMO adapter (but that is expected to change) and there is no CCS-Tesla adapter. You will mostly do your AC charging at home and your DC charging at Superchargers when traveling. If there are areas you want to go where there are no Superchargers then having a CHADEMO option will be helpful but since it not yet available and there is not even a proposed Elon-timeline it is best not to worry about it.

@yuhong talked about the CCS/CHAdeMO. These are level 3 rapid, DC chargers. There are many more level 2 chargers "in the wild". All of the level 2 EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) "chargers" have a J1772 plug as standard, unless it's a Tesla EVSE (Tesla calls this an HPWC). You will get a Tesla to J1772 charging adapter with your car. This means you can use both the J1772 and Tesla HPWC stations.

Tesla sells a CHAdeMO adapter, should you wish to use one. I have never needed to do so, as I use the SuperCharger network, and Overnight charging via destination chargers

See Plugshare for a station near you
That CHAdeMO adapter currently don't work with Model 3, but hopefully this will be fixed by the time they are delivered to Canada.

Has anyone heard any news recently about the DCFC with energy storage network for Northern Ontario + Manitoba? Since the announcement last July, it appears to be radio silence. They were to start construction of the battery storage units for the DCFC stations during Q1 2018 and start installations soon afterwards, but I can't find any news about construction or site selection.

Here is the original announcement : Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway

Heads up for the BC crowd. Another coquihala fast charger coming at the Britton Creek rest stop just after the summit. Here is a reply I got from the transport people. My bet is BC will have more than 70 DCFC locations by end 2020. We have about 54 now (about half dozen of those under construction)

“Hello, EV charging stations are coming to the Britton Creek Rest Area (exit 228 on the Coquihalla Highway) later this year, likely in the next few months as snow and winter conditions subside there. See: Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative - Successful Applicants | Natural Resources Canada.

Reactions: MarcoRP
We are still on the fence for putting down our 1000 bucks so a model three will be available to us in a couple years when we are ready, but this incompatibility with Chademo will keep us there. I can probably live without the steering wheel heater or heated rear seats or hatch back (for my wife) but no Chademo is a complete deal breaker. It eliminates 75 percent of the fast charging oportunities in my province.

We are still on the fence for putting down our 1000 bucks so a model three will be available to us in a couple years when we are ready, but this incompatibility with Chademo will keep us there. I can probably live without the steering wheel heater or heated rear seats or hatch back (for my wife) but no Chademo is a complete deal breaker. It eliminates 75 percent of the fast charging oportunities in my province.
Model 3 will have CHAdeMO support. It's just a matter of time.

That’s encouraging. Hope it happens. For us there is no rush but in our local EV circle there are a couple or three folks holding out on the deposit until it happens. In this province Chademo and CCS are clearly becoming king.

Cheers.
I am curious. Which province are you in. I have had a Chademo since I got my car in 2015 and would not leave home without it. Even in southern Ontario I have found it very useful; e.g. on my trips to the service centre and picking up family at Pearson Airport.