Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious. Which province are you in. I have had a Chademo since I got my car in 2015 and would not leave home without it. Even in southern Ontario I have found it very useful; e.g. on my trips to the service centre and picking up family at Pearson Airport.

We are in BC. The Chademo CCS network is growing reasonably well. There are three more Fast charge sites going in between golden and the Alberta border this summer as part of the kootenays connect project. There are bunch going in the Fraser valley and a couple more on the connector through the coquihala. One of them is up (loon lake rest stop). A coupke are single phase only as that’s all that is available so those are 25 KW machines. Better than nothing.

Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: ZooSean and Canuck
I am curious. Which province are you in. I have had a Chademo since I got my car in 2015 and would not leave home without it. Even in southern Ontario I have found it very useful; e.g. on my trips to the service centre and picking up family at Pearson Airport.

We are in BC. The Chademo CCS network is growing reasonably well. There are three more Fast charge sites going in between golden and the Alberta border this summer as part of the kootenays connect project. There are bunch going in the Fraser valley and a couple more on the connector through the coquihala. One of them is up (loon lake rest stop). A coupke are single phase only as that’s all that is available so those are 25 KW machines. Better than nothing.

Cheers.

I'm curious (particularly with regards to BC) as to whether more than one vehicle at a time can charge at most (all?) CHAdeMo/CCS locations? I don't have an adapter, so I don't frequent those chargers, but the ones that I have looked at recently have one CHAdeMO cable and one CCS cable. Can both cables be used at the same time? I have not seen a location with more than one CHAdeMO/CCS charger.

I'm curious (particularly with regards to BC) as to whether more than one vehicle at a time can charge at most (all?) CHAdeMo/CCS locations? I don't have an adapter, so I don't frequent those chargers, but the ones that I have looked at recently have one CHAdeMO cable and one CCS cable. Can both cables be used at the same time? I have not seen a location with more than one CHAdeMO/CCS charger.

Not that I know of. There are some sites with two of each and many have J1772 backup. A couple we have visited look like they have left room for expansion.

I went to Tesla store today and staff told me that J1772 covers 97% of the charging location across Canada and as it provides the connector. We need not worry about it

The store staff likely have zero experience traveling based on J1772. Even with my dual charger 80 amp S and Sun Country's 70 and 80 amp EVSEs it's painfully slow compared to superchargers / chademo and not really useful for travel.

PlugShare is showing the 12 new Nova Scoita Power & NRCan funded DCFC sites in Nova Scotia. We're late to the party, almost a year after New Brunswick, but this network will be worlds better for getting around the province than relying on Sun Country.
Like New Brunswick and Quebec, you can see the benefit of a layout designed by a central authority (in this case, the utility), rather than by merchant suppliers.

Note; these are ChaDeMo & CCS, not Tesla, so this is technically off topic, but it's what we've got for the time being.

• Informative
Reactions: fsch and comeaujo
PlugShare is showing the 12 new Nova Scoita Power & NRCan funded DCFC sites in Nova Scotia. We're late to the party, almost a year after New Brunswick, but this network will be worlds better for getting around the province than relying on Sun Country.
Like New Brunswick and Quebec, you can see the benefit of a layout designed by a central authority (in this case, the utility), rather than by merchant suppliers.

Note; these are ChaDeMo & CCS, not Tesla, so this is technically off topic, but it's what we've got for the time being.

Looking at Google Maps and Street View most appear to be close enough to a Tim Horton's but not much else. I can think of worse places to spend an hour. Happy to see Nova Scotia finally join the party.

This is getting off topic, but all those CHAdeMO "Coming soon" units that were added in Nova Scotia may not be coming soon if nobody has actually seen construction start. It could take one month, but it could also take two years. It all depends on your definition of "soon."
Well a) this is not “Tesla Time” b) we already know the exact locations of these future chargers and gives us an idea on where to look and c) @Doug_G please move these comments into CHAdeMO Charging where they belong.

Britton Creek rest area is now on Plug share as under construction. It’s the BC transport people that add these under construction sites. They also added 2 more on the island and a couple in the Fraser valley. BC now gas 63 Chademo/CCS sites (mostly singles). I think we’ll see 80 by the end of the year. For a province with only 12000 ish EVs that’s not bad.

Well a) this is not “Tesla Time” b) we already know the exact locations of these future chargers and gives us an idea on where to look and c) @Doug_G please move these comments into CHAdeMO Charging where they belong.
What gives me hope,as well, is that they are part of the FLO system; and they put the ones up in NB very quickly, in the space of a few months. Hopefully the same for NS.

• Disagree
Reactions: Webeevdrivers

Well, we're getting into the "Tesla timeframe" since they were actually supposed to be installed last year. :)

I hope a couple of them are installed on or near Cape Breton before August as we are heading there this Summer!

It is probably less important in Ontario though, and that is where the first Model 3 reservations are going to.

Well a) this is not “Tesla Time” b) we already know the exact locations of these future chargers and gives us an idea on where to look...

a) How do you know this isn't "Tesla time?" With the exception of New Brunswick, almost all CHAdeMO projects in Canada have been way behind schedule.

b) We do not necessarily know the exact locations. The places on the NRC site could just be tentative. Nova Scotia Energy was supposed to have an official announcement in April. However, since there was no announcement I suspect they haven't finalized all the sites. Since the only location actually open was not on the NRC list, you'll agree that one of the 12 "coming soons" on plugshare has probably been replaced and is never coming.

Someone not familiar with typical wait for these projects will think "coming soon" means imminent and will be disappointed. It will be even worse if they make EV vacation or purchase plans based on these locations opening soon and then they have to wait a year for the actual openings.

a) How do you know this isn't "Tesla time?" With the exception of New Brunswick, almost all CHAdeMO projects in Canada have been way behind schedule.

b) We do not necessarily know the exact locations. The places on the NRC site could just be tentative. Nova Scotia Energy was supposed to have an official announcement in April. However, since there was no announcement I suspect they haven't finalized all the sites. Since the only location actually open was not on the NRC list, you'll agree that one of the 12 "coming soons" on plugshare has probably been replaced and is never coming.

Someone not familiar with typical wait for these projects will think "coming soon" means imminent and will be disappointed. It will be even worse if they make EV vacation or purchase plans based on these locations opening soon and then they have to wait a year for the actual openings.
Some people have actually found them though... at those exact locations. At the location in Kentville, the one nearest to Hantsport, someone found cables coming out of a wide pavement slab. Looks quite like a future fast charger.

@rypalmer, when you visited some of the fast chargers in NB and found the cables coming out of the ground, did you go there based on listed locations like on the NRCan site or you just randomly found them?

Attachments

• 1158D500-2D7F-4A58-BAF7-C73BD4764254.png
    1158D500-2D7F-4A58-BAF7-C73BD4764254.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 46
@rypalmer, when you visited some of the fast chargers in NB and found the cables coming out of the ground, did you go there based on listed locations like on the NRCan site or you just randomly found them?
The locations hadn't appeared on any NRCan site or anything when I went hunting for them, as far as I can remember. A few had started popping up at Irving Big Stops and so I checked the other truck stop gas stations along the way. It's a lonely road; there weren't that many places to check.

Whoever went and added all these locations before construction was discovered should not have done that. Sh*t happens, and the best laid plans sometimes don't pan out. Tesla time or not.

Whoever went and added all these locations before construction was discovered should not have done that. Sh*t happens, and the best laid plans sometimes don't pan out. Tesla time or not.
Can anyone but PlugShare itself add “coming soon” chargers which display the wrench location icon? I could not find that option when adding sites myself.