Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like the Petro-Canada at Steeles Ave & Martin St in Milton, Ontario might be installing a couple of CHAdeMO chargers. The site currently has a J1772 charge station, and has had two large pylons covered by tarpaulins beside that stall for several weeks. When I drove by this past weekend and saw a work crew was setting up two charge stations labelled "Petro Canada Fast Charge". Unfortunately the entire area was blocked off by the crew so I couldn't get close enough to see what sort of chargers they were. From a distance, they looked like CHAdeMO though.

Since the weekend work they have again been covered up by tarpaulins, so I guess further work is required or they are waiting to unveil them at some point soon.
Likely that they are dual CCS/CHAdeMO chargers

Likely that they are dual CCS/CHAdeMO chargers

This seems to be the case. I stopped by on the way home and lifted the tarp covering one of the stations to take some pics. Each station has a CHAdeMO and CCS plug but it's not clear if these can be used simultaneously. From the way the parking lines have been painted, it looks like the idea is to park between the chargers, suggesting one vehicle per station. I assume these stations will be paid use, while the J1772 Level 2 charger beside them remains free (for now at least).

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1534.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
This seems to be the case. I stopped by on the way home and lifted the tarp covering one of the stations to take some pics. Each station has a CHAdeMO and CCS plug but it's not clear if these can be used simultaneously. From the way the parking lines have been painted, it looks like the idea is to park between the chargers, suggesting one vehicle per station. I assume these stations will be paid use, while the J1772 Level 2 charger beside them remains free (for now at least).
You should get a picture of the rating label from the charger cabinet next time you're there. The cables in your pictures look like the 100kW CHAdeMO and 150kW CCS connectors. However, I don't recognize the cabinet style with the wedge angle between the holsters.

You should get a picture of the rating label from the charger cabinet next time you're there. The cables in your pictures look like the 100kW CHAdeMO and 150kW CCS connectors. However, I don't recognize the cabinet style with the wedge angle between the holsters.

I'll probably have to wait until they've gone live, the tarps are fairly well tied down and I don't want to start rooting around too much. The cabinets might be a custom design for Petro Canada, it's hard to tell with them all covered up, but I did see them uncovered from a distance over the weekend and a substantial amount of space is taken up by the lighting and their logo. There's a panel of some sort directly above the charge cables, likely for payment and instructions, and above that it's mostly just branding and lights.

The stations themselves are a good 10 feet tall if not more.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcoRP
I'll probably have to wait until they've gone live, the tarps are fairly well tied down and I don't want to start rooting around too much. The cabinets might be a custom design for Petro Canada, it's hard to tell with them all covered up, but I did see them uncovered from a distance over the weekend and a substantial amount of space is taken up by the lighting and their logo. There's a panel of some sort directly above the charge cables, likely for payment and instructions, and above that it's mostly just branding and lights.

The stations themselves are a good 10 feet tall if not more.
This will probably be the beginning of Electrify Canada! Depends on what speed the Ccs chargers are at (150 or 350). I think the panel is a kind of « roof? » for the chargers. The type of connector is different than usual and the connectors look a lot like EA Superchargers (see photo). So delighted to see this at last!36BDA266-0E5E-44D8-B3EB-98FF6F4E65D7.jpeg

So delighted to see this at last!

I am less enthusiastic about this development. Electrify Canada is only planning 32 locations, so why waste one on the Toronto area where there are already a ton of DC Fast Charge locations?

Of course, this could all be corrected if the Canadian federal and provincial governments accepted their responsibility and made VW pay damages like they did the USA. Instead, VW has only reimbursed some TDI owners. No other penalty whatsoever for the time-being. Electrify Canada is a "voluntary" green-washing project designed to avoid further penalty. The total of TDI vehicles sold in Canada was 19% of the number in the USA where there was a fine of 2 billion. 19% of 2,000,000,000 USD would pay a lot more than 32 sites.

I am less enthusiastic about this development. Electrify Canada is only planning 32 locations, so why waste one on the Toronto area where there are already a ton of DC Fast Charge locations?

I suspect it's not part of Electrify Canada due to the fact that the Milton location is one of the 5 stations where Petro Canada installed EV charging in 2016 in order to "learn more about this emerging market". I assume, given the fact that the new charging stations are heavily Petro Canada branded, that this is the next step in their strategy to "learn more" while (presumably) starting to make some money from "refueling" electric vehicles that can charge via CCS or CHAdeMO.

Photos from WREVA and Jamie C on Twitter of the new Milton charger. It’s even free for the time being!
C04F17D1-22E7-4BBA-8468-E30D95CC2BCF.png
7CA24FF2-0A34-41C1-916B-058DF93709E0.jpeg 37F0FCDA-C1F9-4933-97F0-0615D93F47BC.jpeg 5ACFE9D0-B027-4391-A5F3-E41FA40FDC45.jpeg E7CB68CC-2351-48D1-A1A4-9D849B2289F5.jpeg

Attachments

• 2F01F39D-44C9-42B1-94CC-85FB2D4240D3.jpeg
    2F01F39D-44C9-42B1-94CC-85FB2D4240D3.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: swotam
Are you able to use CCS/CHAdeMO chargers with the M 3 ?
Currently, no. Tesla does make/sell an adapter for CHAdeMO to Model S/X, but the Model 3 doesn't support it yet. That may change in the future or Tesla may produce a separate "Model 3"-specific CHAdeMO adapter. And it's also possible/probable that in the future there will be adapters for CCS to Tesla, but those don't exist right now for any of the models.

While it's not currently relevant for your car/situation, Tesla prices the CHAdeMO adapter for Model S/X at US$450 or CA$602. If Tesla ever makes one for the Model 3 or updates the current offering to also support Model 3, I would expect the price to similar.

Currently, no. Tesla does make/sell an adapter for CHAdeMO to Model S/X, but the Model 3 doesn't support it yet. That may change in the future or Tesla may produce a separate "Model 3"-specific CHAdeMO adapter. And it's also possible/probable that in the future there will be adapters for CCS to Tesla, but those don't exist right now for any of the models.

While it's not currently relevant for your car/situation, Tesla prices the CHAdeMO adapter for Model S/X at US$450 or CA$602. If Tesla ever makes one for the Model 3 or updates the current offering to also support Model 3, I would expect the price to similar.

Thanks for the info

Also is the CHAdeMo and CCS , a Beta vs. VHS type of thing ?
It's more like one of those situations where there are multiple solutions for the same problem (fast charging EV's), so you end up having multiple types of fast charging stations that can be used by different types of electric vehicles. Some of it is based on vendor, some of it is based on regional standards, etc. It's not likely to end up in a VHS vs Beta situation due to the fact that these are often regional in nature.

CHAdeMO originated in Japan I believe, while CCS has been deemed the "standard" in Europe. Other countries, such as China, have their own standards that EV manufacturers will be required to conform to.

With the Model 3 you can use the Supercharger network, which only works with Tesla vehicles, to fast-charge when on road trips or long drives. Non-Tesla EV's need to use stations such as CCS or CHAdeMO to fast-charge, so while they have access to something you cannot use, you also have access to something they cannot use. Unless you are regularly driving your Tesla to areas where there are no Superchargers, I can't see much value in buying a very expensive CHAdeMO or CCS adapter if/when they become available.