Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The addresses still don't make any logical sense, though. Some of them are in the middle of nowhere, with no amenities nearby. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere to charge my vehicle, especially if you didn't know if the equipment was operational.
Would love to know the math on these stations. What does $50K per station cover? How much is the actual DCFC and how much to install? Maybe they're making $10K per install without the need for high maintenance if they rarely ever get used? Pocket a cool Mil of tax dollars.
Then again, maybe the great oz of Queen's Park is actually in on this, and wants them in places they'll never be used so he can point at them and say... "Look... Nobody uses them. Told you EVs are a waste of taxpayers money."

Reactions: mrElbe and Vawlkus
Would love to know the math on these stations. What does $50K per station cover? How much is the actual DCFC and how much to install? Maybe they're making $10K per install without the need for high maintenance if they rarely ever get used? Pocket a cool Mil of tax dollars.
Then again, maybe the great oz of Queen's Park is actually in on this, and wants them in places they'll never be used so he can point at them and say... "Look... Nobody uses them. Told you EVs are a waste of taxpayers money."

$50k/unit actually seems a bit cheap to me. I'm sure a big part of the expense is running that kind of current to these locations. Some will be a lot easier/cheaper than others in that respect.

Would love to know the math on these stations. What does $50K per station cover? How much is the actual DCFC and how much to install? "

The Electric Circuit pays $36,900 for each of its units purchased from AddEnergie thanks to a volume discount. Purchased separately, I think they go for about $44,000 per unit. Other manufacturers' offerings cost a bit less (AddEnergie salesmen will tell you their product holds up better in arctic conditions than competitors' products).

As for installation costs, the Electric Circuit is normally very tight-lipped. They consider it to be a commercial secret. However, in their prior business model the partner-hosts paid most of the costs. When the partners were cities they had make the expenses public and I've seen anywhere from $18,000 to $75,000 for the installation costs on top of the charging station purchase.

Now, the Electric Circuit has a new business model for DCFC where they pay everything. In order to get this model approved they had to go before a public commission to justify their expenses. From that process, we have this table of the costs for sites with single, double, and quadruple stations. (Image attached.)

Note that the installation costs are almost the same for single or double stations. This is because they're installing the room and the infrastructure necessary for a second unit whenever they perform a single installation now. Also, the units being installed are 50 kW ones, but they have said that the infrastructure is future-proofed for higher-power and they will be able to just swap-in higher power stations later. I don't know what the total capacity is per site. Oddly, the installation costs per unit jump from the twin to quadruple stations. This is mostly explained by the canopy the Electric Circuit adds to the quadruple sites. This canopy is too small to protect against the elements and only serves esthetic purposes. (See the attached photo).

So, installations for single stations should be lower if Hydro-One doesn't leave room for second stations.
Installations will also cost less in the short-term if Hydro-QC doesn't future-proof the infrastructure.
Costs can also be slightly less if they buy from ABB or Tritium or whoever instead of from AddEnergie.
Hydro-one can save money by not installing decorative canopies at their 4-station sites.
Construction costs tend to be a bit lower in Ontario than in Quebec.

costsDCFC.png

4DCFC.jpg

TwinDCFC.jpg

The Electric Circuit also published a graph showing how usage of their CHAdeMO/CCS Stations varies over the course of a day. The y-axis is a measure of usage, the x-axis is time of day. The peaks in the late afternoon and early evening are predictable. I'm surprised that usage drops off as fast as it does between roughly 17h30 and 20h00, though.

utlisationBRCC.png

So, installations for single stations should be lower if Hydro-One doesn't leave room for second stations.
Installations will also cost less in the short-term if Hydro-QC doesn't future-proof the infrastructure.
Costs can also be slightly less if they buy from ABB or Tritium or whoever instead of from AddEnergie.
Hydro-one can save money by not installing decorative canopies at their 4-station sites.
Construction costs tend to be a bit lower in Ontario than in Quebec.
All of the sites seem to have at least 2 stations - and then the other variable is if the stations are 50kW or they are going 200+kW.

We love the Tesla model 3 and actually would prefer to buy it when we trade in Angelas smart ED this fall or early next year. But more than likely we'll get another Leaf, this time the Eplus SL. This is why.

We live in BC. Below is a Plugsshare representation of Super Chargers. We think the Supercharger network is great and its one of the reasons we want to get a model 3. But the model 3, unlike the model S or the Model X is not Chademo compatible so this is what you get. A narrow strip from Victoria to Calgary. No chance of touring all over this amazing province. Yeh.

32371441637_db2cc37027_c.jpg

The next picture is the Chademo/CCS network that the government is rolling out. It is actually missing about 35 locations that although have been announced and funded are not yet on the map. So just imagine this with at aboutt 35 more dots. Some are Petro Canada, some are Electrify Canada and most are government. And they are usually pretty quick putting them in once they are on the map. And thats just phase two. Once it is done in 2020 phase three is already on the books covering the north interior routes to the coast etc.

47260920452_4db3c6d0cf_c.jpg

If you have a Leaf e plus or a bolt or a Kia or an Ipace or Model S tesla or Model X tesla you'll be able to tour the whole province. With a model 3 Tesla, unless its on the end of a rope the province is pretty much out of bounds except for a little strip between Victoria and Calgary.

We are actually quite impressed with the new Leaf and the eplus should be even better but we lean towards the model 3 for a few reasons. However, a touring sedan it is not....at least not in BC.

Cmon Elon. Wheres that Chademo adapter.

I was told by a Tesla employee here in Calgary that they were going to skip the Chademo adapter for the Model 3 and go with a CCS one instead. Hopefully that comes out soon.

I'm planning a trip to Spokane, WA from Calgary and there are no Superchargers in southern BC.

I was told by a Tesla employee here in Calgary that they were going to skip the Chademo adapter for the Model 3 and go with a CCS one instead. Hopefully that comes out soon.

I'm planning a trip to Spokane, WA from Calgary and there are no Superchargers in southern BC.

CCS would be fine.

Kelowna has a Supercharger if that helps. An hour from the border. We are in Vernon and our 40 amp Juicebox is always available in our driveway.

• Informative
Reactions: GlenM and MarcoRP
Thanks for the suggestions. My plan was to head south from Calgary to the Fort MacLeod Supercharger and charge up to close to 100%. Then drive to Fernie or Cranbrook and top up for a bit at a J-1772 charger, and then head to Creston and use a destination charger there. I'll cross the boarder at Rykerts and head to the Supercharger in Coeur d'Alene before heading to Spokane.

It's just that stretch from Fort MacLeod to Creston that concerns me. I'm not sure how long I'll have to charge at a Level 2 charger to get enough to make it to Creston. I guess that'll be a good lunch spot.

Thanks for the suggestions. My plan was to head south from Calgary to the Fort MacLeod Supercharger and charge up to close to 100%. Then drive to Fernie or Cranbrook and top up for a bit at a J-1772 charger, and then head to Creston and use a destination charger there. I'll cross the boarder at Rykerts and head to the Supercharger in Coeur d'Alene before heading to Spokane.

It's just that stretch from Fort MacLeod to Creston that concerns me. I'm not sure how long I'll have to charge at a Level 2 charger to get enough to make it to Creston. I guess that'll be a good lunch spot.

Is it a J1772 or Tesla. If Tesla you’ll probably get 48 amps. Actually not that bad. Take a long long lunch. :)

This surprises me, they’ve already got a working prototype Chademo for the Model 3 that’s been undergoing testing for a while. Seems a waste to skip it IMHO.
Maybe they’ll do both? CCS and Chademo would give options.

This surprises me, they’ve already got a working prototype Chademo for the Model 3 that’s been undergoing testing for a while. Seems a waste to skip it IMHO.
Maybe they’ll do both? CCS and Chademo would give options.
Canada would be better off with a CcS adapter, and the US with both.

But there are definitely more CCS only chargers rather than CHAdeMO only chargers, though they are mostly at dealers, and sometimes they’re open to the public.

True. But probably talking less than half a dozen, and the 25Kw variety. But yah I hear ya. It wouldn’t be enough to stop me from buying a leaf (at this point in time) but it seems BMW and Chevy are more open to install DCFC than Nissan.

Personally I would rather buy a Model 3, but not without a Chademo or CCS adapter.

There is limited information so far, but funding has been announcing for six Level 3 chargers across Prince Edward Island (should cover the whole Province)

Government of PEI on Twitter

Hopefully, they're not getting what they claim to be getting in the picture (30A slow charging stations.)

The locations for the six DCFC units are actually in the link in post 774 of this thread (reposted here).

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/alternative-fuels/fuel-facts/ecoenergy/21738