Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a good 1hr charge on CHAdeMO today and the majority of the time was 34 KW, as I was in the 70% range it jumped up to 42KW, but dropped back to 35KW pretty quick and stayed down there all the way up to 87% when I stopped charging.
Yeah, this is 'normal' behavior given the cold temps. I have a Bluetooth dongle and scanmytesla now and the extra energy the car doesn't see goes into heating the battery. For some reason on chademo it needs to heat the battery and you won't get the full 50 kw. But on a supercharger the same temp battery can hit >100kw pretty much right away.

Yeah, this is 'normal' behavior given the cold temps. I have a Bluetooth dongle and scanmytesla now and the extra energy the car doesn't see goes into heating the battery. For some reason on chademo it needs to heat the battery and you won't get the full 50 kw. But on a supercharger the same temp battery can hit >100kw pretty much right away.

On CHAdeMO you won't get 50kw until very nearly 100% charge, as the charge rate is completely dependant on the battery voltage. My sessions have usually started around 38-40kW at low battery (<5%) and have ended at around 46-48kW at 80-90%.

Would be nice if the Tesla adapters were compatible with the newer 400A CHAdeMO 2.0 standards, but they are still limited to the 125A the original stations were capable putting out.

On CHAdeMO you won't get 50kw until very nearly 100% charge, as the charge rate is completely dependant on the battery voltage. My sessions have usually started around 38-40kW at low battery (<5%) and have ended at around 46-48kW at 80-90%.

Would be nice if the Tesla adapters were compatible with the newer 400A CHAdeMO 2.0 standards, but they are still limited to the 125A the original stations were capable putting out.
Yep, I know it ramps up as the pack voltage goes up. But also when the battery is below 40C or so you also lose an additional 7 kw that goes into heating the pack. So if the station reports 42 kw, you will only be getting 35 kw into the battery until it heats up enough.

On CHAdeMO you won't get 50kw until very nearly 100% charge, as the charge rate is completely dependant on the battery voltage.

I suspect you have an S or X with a listed 85 kWh or higher battery. I believe the S/X 75 kWh and lower and all the 3's max out at 42 kW, but typically get 35 kW - 40 kW for the reasons you mention.

They probably will offer a CCS adaptor for the North America market before there's any higher power CHAdeMo one.

Yep, I know it ramps up as the pack voltage goes up. But also when the battery is below 40C or so you also lose an additional 7 kw that goes into heating the pack. So if the station reports 42 kw, you will only be getting 35 kw into the battery until it heats up enough.

Ah, makes sense. That would explain why the station and the car would show different values.

I suspect you have an S or X with a listed 85 kWh or higher battery. I believe the S/X 75 kWh and lower and all the 3's max out at 42 kW, but typically get 35 kW - 40 kW for the reasons you mention.

They probably will offer a CCS adaptor for the North America market before there's any higher power CHAdeMo one.
The 3 will definitely pull 50kw if the battery is warm enough and voltage of the pack is high enough.

For those who were saying the Petro-Canada EV Fast Charging network does not cover the entire Trans-Canada, because of the massive gap between Nipigon and Wawa, I’ve just found out that the town of Marathon has agreed to provide space for 2 EV Fast Charging stations in the town hall lot. @DiscordianDave
153D94E4-521D-4056-87AE-3C26E04A5538.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Gwgan
For those who were saying the Petro-Canada EV Fast Charging network does not cover the entire Trans-Canada, because of the massive gap between Nipigon and Wawa, I’ve just found out that the town of Marathon has agreed to provide space for 2 EV Fast Charging stations in the town hall lot. @DiscordianDaveView attachment 487577
Fantastic! Glad to hear that - reduces the likelihood of unsuspecting drivers getting stranded in that stretch.

Petro Canada held an augurarion event of their Trans Canada network:
Today we’re proud to announce, and we wanted members like you to be the first to know that Canadians can now drive from the Rockies to the Maritimes in an electric vehicle. We know that Canadians’ needs are evolving, which is why we built Canada’s Electric Highway™.

Join us to celebrate this historic Canadian moment LIVE from Victoria, BC at 1 p.m. PT on our Facebook Page.

Wow, that showed up a lot faster than I expected - great to see!

I hope they don’t lose their momentum though. There are lots of interior routes that need developing as well. Transcanada coverage is great but solid service between places like Fort Mac and Calgary or Bella Coola and Cache creek are travelled routes as well.

But they definetly do what they say...and fast.

Reactions: GarthG
Tried out my new ChaDEMO charger today. Just drove to the outskirts of Winnipeg. Initial thoughts:
The Chademo cables are on the wrong side of the box - I had to string it across the pedestal to reach the car.
Everything is heavy, especially the charger cable.
I first plugged it into the adapter, then the car - took 4 tries to get charging started.
First 2 times, did not notice there was about a 1/8 inch gap, Chademo plug not fully inserted. Car warned me plug was not locked.
Once pushed in, it failed 2 more times.
First, I inserted as the port door was closing - it opened again, but failed. So I closed and re-open, reinsert charger.
Still failed - something about not inserted properly.
I figured the charger cable was dragging the adapter downward and toward the front of the car, since it was so heavy. Probably sensitive to being pulled at an angIe despite solid insertion. I propped the cable & adapter up on the handy bollard and tried. Fifth time lucky.
Started charging at 22KW and worked its way up to 37KW. Despite the -5ºC we'd driven a dozen miles at higher speeds to get there, so the battery was probably decently warm.

It was around half an hour to add 127Km and getting progressively faster.
Charging stopped when the car hit it's limit (80% charge)
Then it was a struggle to remove the adapter from the ChaDEMO plug. I pushed the button but it did not want to move more than that 1/8 inch. Then suddenly, it came loose no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpg
    IMG_4208.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: MarcoRP
Tried out my new ChaDEMO charger today. Just drove to the outskirts of Winnipeg. Initial thoughts:
The Chademo cables are on the wrong side of the box - I had to string it across the pedestal to reach the car.
Everything is heavy, especially the charger cable.
I first plugged it into the adapter, then the car - took 4 tries to get charging started.
First 2 times, did not notice there was about a 1/8 inch gap, Chademo plug not fully inserted. Car warned me plug was not locked.
Once pushed in, it failed 2 more times.
First, I inserted as the port door was closing - it opened again, but failed. So I closed and re-open, reinsert charger.
Still failed - something about not inserted properly.
I figured the charger cable was dragging the adapter downward and toward the front of the car, since it was so heavy. Probably sensitive to being pulled at an angIe despite solid insertion. I propped the cable & adapter up on the handy bollard and tried. Fifth time lucky.
Started charging at 22KW and worked its way up to 37KW. Despite the -5ºC we'd driven a dozen miles at higher speeds to get there, so the battery was probably decently warm.

It was around half an hour to add 127Km and getting progressively faster.
Charging stopped when the car hit it's limit (80% charge)
Then it was a struggle to remove the adapter from the ChaDEMO plug. I pushed the button but it did not want to move more than that 1/8 inch. Then suddenly, it came loose no problem.
I too wasn’t sure how to route the cable. This was my first use of a Petro-Canada charger (Brockville, Ontario). I arrived there with a cold battery and 62% state of charge so I wasn’t surprised that my starting charge rate was 32 KW. The CHAdeMO adapter I believe will only take 50 KW max. I didn’t have any problems with either the adapter or the charging station.

LoRes19r65f016.jpg

There isn't really a "correct" side on the Petro-Canada chargers, as they are designed to be used with all EVs (some of which have the charging port on the front left of the car, vs. the back left of Tesla).

They could definitely have made the cables longer, though, to make it easier to reach across.

As opposed to the superchargers which can push out very high currents, with CHAdeMO v1 being current-limited you will only get the highest speeds when almost full. You'll never get 50kW at less than 95% SOC, due to the voltage of the battery being lower than 400V at that point. I can't speak for the Model 3, but I know for the Model S the battery voltage can be as low as 330V when down below 10%, so with the CHAdeMO adapter being current-limited the charging rate will actually increase quite a bit as the SOC goes up.

Reactions: GarthG
There isn't really a "correct" side on the Petro-Canada chargers, as they are designed to be used with all EVs (some of which have the charging port on the front left of the car, vs. the back left of Tesla).

They could definitely have made the cables longer, though, to make it easier to reach across.

As opposed to the superchargers which can push out very high currents, with CHAdeMO v1 being current-limited you will only get the highest speeds when almost full. You'll never get 50kW at less than 95% SOC, due to the voltage of the battery being lower than 400V at that point. I can't speak for the Model 3, but I know for the Model S the battery voltage can be as low as 330V when down below 10%, so with the CHAdeMO adapter being current-limited the charging rate will actually increase quite a bit as the SOC goes up.
Agreed re: "correct side". After I left that charging station, a Model S backed into the CHAdeMO side of the charger, ran the cord around the back of his car and had enough room with the added length of the CHAdeMO adapter to reach his charging port.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers