Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one they sell in Europe is 170 Euros, so it might be close to 250 CAD here. Still, a bargain compared to the only 50 kW CHAdeMO adapter for $600.
If you didn't have a brand new EU Tesla made after Tesla had already released the type 2 CCS adapter then there was also a significant added cost to retrofit the car's charge port hardware to enable the adapter use. This may or may not be necessary on the NA models, but my baseline assumption is that it would be and I've not yet seen/heard any indication that Tesla already made these changes to NA vehicles in anticipation of an eventual type 1 CCS adapter. So, IMO, it's also likely that anyone who already has a NA Tesla and wants to use an eventual type 1 CCS adapter will probably have to pay for those upgrades too. Therefore, I see little reason to expect it to be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter.

If you didn't have a brand new EU Tesla made after Tesla had already released the type 2 CCS adapter then there was also a significant added cost to retrofit the car's charge port hardware to enable the adapter use. This may or may not be necessary on the NA models, but my baseline assumption is that it would be and I've not yet seen/heard any indication that Tesla already made these changes to NA vehicles in anticipation of an eventual type 1 CCS adapter. So, IMO, it's also likely that anyone who already has a NA Tesla and wants to use an eventual type 1 CCS adapter will probably have to pay for those upgrades too. Therefore, I see little reason to expect it to be cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter.

I tend to think your right. Although use of the Chademo adapter is fairly frequent for us (or at least on monthly road trips) I can live with the speed of the Chademo for the next 5 years. We just plan lunch or an exercise break around it. Meh.

Reactions: Goodtohave
So I finally bought a Chademo adapter, was going on a road trip to the Saguenay and didn’t feel like planning ahead.

It is great , the circuit electrique has so many DC units out there. I had destination charging at the hotel but I was able to drive as fast as I wanted and not think about range. I ended up about 100 km short to the next supercharger, I stopped at a chademo, 10-15 min later I was on my way for a grand total of $2.45. I think in Quebec it is cheaper then supercharging (supercharging is already cheap but I thought it would be more expensive on the circuit electrique network so that was a bonus).

Love it.

Just a FYI to the folks in the Ottawa Valley.... The Tesla owners club of Ontario has owned a number of ChaDeMo adapters available, free of charge, to our members. However, all of them have been *just east* of Toronto, and *just west* of Toronto. (Please insert "centre of the universe" tag here). We are in the middle of sourcing 2 of them for the Ottawa region. They will soon be available for loan, to members, on the Ottawa calendar, in the members only section of the website.

Interested in joining?: Tesla Owners Club – Ontario

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Just a FYI to the folks in the Ottawa Valley.... The Tesla owners club of Ontario has owned a number of ChaDeMo adapters available, free of charge, to our members. However, all of them have been *just east* of Toronto, and *just west* of Toronto. (Please insert "centre of the universe" tag here). We are in the middle of sourcing 2 of them for the Ottawa region. They will soon be available for loan, to members, on the Ottawa calendar, in the members only section of the website.

Interested in joining?: Tesla Owners Club – Ontario

Thank you for this post!

We are expecting delivery next week of our MY, have only 120V to charge with (live in a rental), and want to take trips up to Algonquin (but not use the destination charger there because $1000/night for the hotel is just over my price-point for a hotel /s) so I was wondering if I should be ordering the charger. I will look into the Tesla Owners Club.

Thank you for this post!

We are expecting delivery next week of our MY, have only 120V to charge with (live in a rental), and want to take trips up to Algonquin (but not use the destination charger there because $1000/night for the hotel is just over my price-point for a hotel /s) so I was wondering if I should be ordering the charger. I will look into the Tesla Owners Club.
The Supercharger in Huntsville should be good for your travels around Algonquin Park. To the east of the park there’s Couples Resort. They have destination chargers that I’ve used for a top up without staying there.

Reactions: M109Rider
The price of the Tesla Chademo admission is well worth it when extending ones travels past the security blanket of the Tesla network. I am going on my annual fall trip to Val D'Or, Quebec in a few weeks time and without the adaptor it would be impossible in my SR+.

From @Baked76 on Twitter (photo cropped)

E9AF0248-219F-438D-87EC-94046349983D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I thought this program was for slow charging, but several of the grants appear to be for CCS/CHAdeMO ($50k per unit).

IGA in Quebec appears to have received their grant. Has it ever been determined where the $729k to Tesla is being spent?

Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program – Successful Applicants | Natural Resources Canada

Interesting - is this a newly released list? I know government grant applications for CCS/CHAdeMO chargers were mentioned for both Jasper and Osoyoos supercharger sites, at least. That could account for $300K at $50K each (3 CCS/CHAdeMO chargers at each site, I think). But that leaves a good chunk of change unaccounted for...

I thought this program was for slow charging, but several of the grants appear to be for CCS/CHAdeMO ($50k per unit).

IGA in Quebec appears to have received their grant. Has it ever been determined where the $729k to Tesla is being spent?

Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program – Successful Applicants | Natural Resources Canada
Ooooh, interesting. I didn't know about this program, I thought all the NRCan funding for charging stations was being made through Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative | Natural Resources Canada. And since Tesla hadn't yet appeared on the successful applicants for that list, I assumed that they hadn't been approved for any funding yet. Tesla's projects in both Osoyoos and Jasper, either wholly or in scope, are contingent on receiving grants from NRCan, so the fact that Tesla has been approved for some funding from them is very interesting.

My guess would be that the funds are for those two projects and some other locations we don't know about yet, probably with a combination of DCFC and L2 stations depending on the location. Guesses for the "unknown" locations might be the sites Tesla lists for superchargers along Highway 3 or heading up to Prince George from Jasper. Another possibility is it's related to the 350 L2 stations Tesla is installing at Parks Canada sites. Either of those possibilities is somewhat suspect though because the page says Tesla's projects are strictly in British Columbia, which would seem to rule out Jasper, at least, as well as most of the Parks sites. Successful applicants with projects in multiple provinces have more than one province listed in the relevant column of the table.

In the document for application, it says they can apply if they are using an eligible technology:
- j1772
- j1772 combo
- chademo
- other proprietary connectors (maximum 75% of all connectors per site)

Technically, Tesla can apply with this scenario:
- 8 super chargers at 400k
- 4 CCS/chademo chargers at another 200k

Rollout of two CCS/CHAdeMO units to each of 50 IGA locations in QC and NB by Fall 2021. An adapter for Tesla will be available to borrow at the supermarket service counters. ECOCHARGE network, but compatible with Chargepoint. Map of locations in the article. After IGA. Sobey's may do the same in their stores elsewhere in Cansda.

Earth Day Canada is launching a new program to facilitate the transition to electric vehicles in Canada » Blog et nouvelles » Earth Day Canada - Jour de la Terre Canada – April 22 & Every Day !

Rollout of two CCS/CHAdeMO units to each of 50 IGA locations in QC and NB by Fall 2021. An adapter for Tesla will be available to borrow at the supermarket service counters. ECOCHARGE network, but compatible with Chargepoint. Map of locations in the article. After IGA. Sobey's may do the same in their stores elsewhere in Cansda.

Earth Day Canada is launching a new program to facilitate the transition to electric vehicles in Canada » Blog et nouvelles » Earth Day Canada - Jour de la Terre Canada – April 22 & Every Day !

That's an interesting model - hope it works out! Are these likely to be 50 kW units?

BTW, anybody know the status of the planned CCS/CHAdeMO sites in Newfoundland? Any construction started there, or at this point are they waiting for spring thaw?