Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With DC charging, the amps displayed on the dash are what is going into the battery after energy for HVAC, etc have already been siphoned off, so the station was providing more than 30 kW. However, unless your battery was too cool to accept the full rate, the station is probably throttled.

With an 85 and a station that provides the full 125A, the most you can get is about 47 kW at 76% SOC. When the battery is nearly empty, the voltage is roughly 330V and the power 41 kW. The voltage and power rise as the battery fills. However, past 76% the current starts tapering.

With DC charging, the amps displayed on the dash are what is going into the battery after energy for HVAC, etc have already been siphoned off, so the station was providing more than 30 kW. However, unless your battery was too cool to accept the full rate, the station is probably throttled.

Thing is, the charging station itself was showing less than full output (see the screen shot from the app in my post above).

Did you buy the Imperial or Metric adapter Mike? :wink:

Maybe that's it! I tried the new adapter I bought but didn't try the one I borrowed from you (which I'll return tomorrow evening).

- - - Updated - - -

The plugshare notes for this charging station outline a reduce charging rate due to issues with the station itself.

Missed that. I know the PowerStream unit is operating at partial power due to some internal defect, but wasn't aware that Markham one was as well.

Thing is, the charging station itself was showing less than full output (see the screen shot from the app...

Instead of the vague screen from the app, see if you can get a photo of the station's small digital display. It should provide the output of current and voltage leaving the station in real-time. What is displayed on the car's can be anywhere from 700w to 8kW less.

Instead of the vague screen from the app, see if you can get a photo of the station's small digital display. It should provide the output of current and voltage leaving the station in real-time. What is displayed on the car's can be anywhere from 700w to 8kW less.

I did note that the station's screen was reporting less than the equivalent of 50 kW but didn't jot it down. There was quite a discrepancy between what the car thought it gained in terms of kWh and what the station said.

How is there no CHAdeMO in Ottawa? I highly doubt we will see the planned 2016 supercharger in 2016 and some high power charging option would make trips to Ottawa that much easier. It has the population to support it.

Gatineau will almost certainly be one of the 30-40 new locations to receive CHAdeMO in Quebec this year. Unfortunately, it will probably come in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

As for Ontario, there was a mid-February deadline to apply for grants to install CHAdeMO (part of the 20 million dollar program that I believe has been mentioned in this thread.) I know for a fact that there was at least one application for a site in Ottawa. I have no idea how long the entire process will take from application to installation with this new program, though.

Thanks for the info. Very useful.

Gatineau will almost certainly be one of the 30-40 new locations to receive CHAdeMO in Quebec this year. Unfortunately, it will probably come in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

As for Ontario, there was a mid-February deadline to apply for grants to install CHAdeMO (part of the 20 million dollar program that I believe has been mentioned in this thread.) I know for a fact that there was at least one application for a site in Ottawa. I have no idea how long the entire process will take from application to installation with this new program, though.

Reactions: Jaff
Quebec now has 36 CHAdeMO locations :

Le Circuit Ėlectrique : 31
Station Roulez Électrique in Trois Rivières : 2
Réseau Azra : 3 (Mirabel, Repentigny and Deschambault-Grondines).

Le Circuit Électrique is slated to open 30-40 new sites this year. This map gives an idea of their plans for 2016-2017.

Bornes de recharge rapide du CÉ

Sites in green are in service. For the others, ones with flags are generally more likely to open then the others. One major downer, however, is that most of their new installations are cappped at 41 kW. This is apparently to save roughly $1,500 per year per station in utility demand charges. I don't understand how it's acceptable to spend $60,000 to install DC Quick Charging and then throttle it.

In Québec, we have a Green Funds war chest of over a billion dollars that could be used to pay the demand charges and since the payments would go to state-owned Hydro-Quebec, the actual cost would be very little. Note that the province is using the green funds to launch a pilot program of million-dollar hydrogen stations that nobody needs or wants, so it is reasonable to demand a much lesser amount for quick charge stations that are actually useful

At $ 10.00/hour is about 25 cents / KWh. That certainly pay for the electricity used and should pay for any peak charges. The current Ontario all inclusive rate is right now 19 cents / KWh.

The government triple-dips on charging station fees. It's 10$/hr because the operator receives $8.60, but has to add GST and PST.
The host then has to pay the kWh and demand charges to the province-owned Hydro-Quebec. And the Hydro-bill is subject to GST and PST as well.

In order to exploit the full 50 kW output of these stations it apparently takes about 55 kW at the meter, 8.60/55 = 15.6 cents per kWh of gross revenue. Even though electricity is rather inexpensive in Quebec, it's tough to see much of a profit there, at least with current volume.

• Informative
A reminder to order your Circuit Electric fob by April 30th if you think you might need one because they are doing away with a $10 credit next month.

The reason I mention this is that they were awarded a bid to expand to Ontario. 14 DCQC stations in the Ottawa+East zone.

The Circuit Electric card and app also works with VERnetwork stations and vice-versa.

Last edited:
How is there no CHAdeMO in Ottawa? I highly doubt we will see the planned 2016 supercharger in 2016 and some high power charging option would make trips to Ottawa that much easier. It has the population to support it.

The Electric Circuit released the map of the 14 CHAdeMO and 8 L2 stations it has the contract for under the Ontario grant program. The deadline for installation is March 2017, but i think it's a bit optimistic, since it only leaves seven months to build before Winter,

The Electric Circuit rolls into Ontario | Press releases | Newsroom | Hydro-Québec

I went to Powerstream today. 100 amps aren't really the limit, are they? Ref. the photo below, my charge started off at 110 amps and 368 volts, but after 15 minutes, when I quit, the readings were as you see them, amounting to 45 kW. I don't know why the voltage crept up while the amps stayed at 119-120 most of the time, or whether it'd creep up more, or why the charger doesn't just go quickly to 400+ volts with 120+ amps, for between 48 and 50 kW.
Powerstream2.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The Electric Circuit released the map of the 14 CHAdeMO and 8 L2 stations it has the contract for under the Ontario grant program. The deadline for installation is March 2017, but i think it's a bit optimistic, since it only leaves seven months to build before Winter,

The Electric Circuit rolls into Ontario | Press releases | Newsroom | Hydro-Québec

I've seen a CHAdeMO appear in Ottawa on Plugshare the other week. It was a station from the VERnetwork but it disappeared shortly after. From what I remember it was south of the highway near downtown.. not sure if it was a fake station or just not yet in service but here's hoping!