Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's now up on the FLO map:
Map | FLO

Residential Electricity Rates | Toronto Hydro Corporation

Costs quoted for residential peak charges in cents per kwh:
18 peak rate
1.7 transmission
1.88 distribution
plus 13% tax
=$0.24/kWh

$2/hr at 6 kW charging is $0.33/kWh
Seems reasonable to me.

That's the residential rate and this site would likely attract Commercial rates... but I realize you're making a comparison to what it woud cost at home. In addition to the prices you quote above, you would also have to multiply by Toronto Hydro's Loss Factor adjustment and add HST.

That's the residential rate and this site would likely attract Commercial rates... but I realize you're making a comparison to what it woud cost at home. In addition to the prices you quote above, you would also have to multiply by Toronto Hydro's Loss Factor adjustment and add HST.

Exactly, I didn't quote commercial rates as I was comparing to what it would cost to charge at home during the day (when it is expected public charging would be used).

I did include tax in my calculation, but not loss factor.

The award for the first CHAdeMO in service thanks to the EVCO program will go to the parking garage next to St Joseph's health centre and near Union station in Toronto.
This is good news but a bit of a correction as it isn't really near Union Station - they are about 6 km apart. There are lots of L2 chargers near Union Station in office parking complexes but they are expensive as this is the heart of downtown of the largest city in the country.

The Ontario 511 map now shows the planned locations for CHAdeMO. I think Orange = CHAdeMO/CCS only. Blue = Level 2 only. Green = both. No dates available yet afaik.

Ontario 511 - Interactive Map
One of the locations is at Tim Hortons at 228 Wyecroft Rd. The new Tesla Service Centre is at 225 Wyecroft Rd. A wealth of riches for L3 charging for Tesla owners, assuming that the Service Centre will have public Super Charging stations.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
This is good news but a bit of a correction as it isn't really near Union Station - they are about 6 km apart...

Thanks for the correction. I would delete the erroneous Union station reference from the original post, but ever since the update to forum software the window for editing is rather short.

Regarding the St-Joseph CHAdeMO, it ks apparently outside the gates so no parking fees. Hopefully some bozo doesn't try to take advantage by leaving his car there after recharging.

Not yet on the Circuit electric's projected map, but the rumoured CHADEMO for Temiscouata has been confirmed. Assuming the first Atlantic province Supercharger will be in Woodstock, NB, that will make for around 295 km to Rivière-du-Loup. In the Winter, making a quick stop in Temiscouata will cut the gap between DC charging to about 234 km. No projection completion date mentioned. Article in French.

Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac prend le virage électrique | infodimanche.com

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
The Agricultural Ministry in Ottawa got wise and blocked public access to their CHAdeMO.

Not sure when the EVCO-funded CHAdeMO in Ottawa will start to appear, however, across the river in Gatineau a Circuit Electric-unit should come online this month at the Promenades Gatineau mall. Another CHAdeMO is also expected this year in Gatineau outside the garage for La Maison du citoyen.

I had the pleasure of making better use of Circuit Électrique on my drive from Toronto to PEI this past weekend. It was my first drive through Quebec since purchasing the car, but I had used a station on the network in Halifax a few times before.

This was my first trip having a Circuit Électrique access card in hand, and I've have to say the experience was excellent - both for L2 and L3 charging. Far nicer than trying to use the app to activate the station in Halifax. On a whole they are doing a fantastic job and I hope the new network of L3 chargers in Ontario lives up to this high standard.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I had the pleasure of making better use of Circuit Électrique on my drive from Toronto to PEI this past weekend. It was my first drive through Quebec since purchasing the car, but I had used a station on the network in Halifax a few times before.

This was my first trip having a Circuit Électrique access card in hand, and I've have to say the experience was excellent - both for L2 and L3 charging. Far nicer than trying to use the app to activate the station in Halifax. On a whole they are doing a fantastic job and I hope the new network of L3 chargers in Ontario lives up to this high standard.
Could not agree more. Have had the card for a year and a half now, and have used it about four times, both in Quebec and NB. Quick, efficient, and easy to use.

Very disappointing to see that Pearson is not going to be providing a proper amount of Level I charging outlets for travelers taking two week vacations.

I see little need for Level II charging at the airport.
Agreed - my car was parked at the Halifax Airport for 4 days, and I would have done terrible things for a 120v outlet to plug into while gone. Coming back to a mostly dead battery was not fun and difficult to avoid.

Reactions: Jaff
Very disappointing to see that Pearson is not going to be providing a proper amount of Level I charging outlets for travelers taking two week vacations.

I see little need for Level II charging at the airport.
Even to have one upper level with all parking spots with a 120 v outlet would be simple and very useful and just as important very easy to locate.

Reactions: Jaff