Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Caught this a bit off-guard on PlugShare. It seems Shell will be following Petro’s initiative.
These chargers seem to have been there since early Feb starting with a station in Red Deer, both stations currently free of charge. I’m wondering if this is also a test run or a unique business trial.View attachment 387382

I was told by a Tesla Calgary employee that Shell Canada would be following PetroCanada's lead and opening up EV chargers at over 2000 of their gas stations across Canada. Not surprising as Shell in Europe has been rolling out EV chargers since late last year.

I was also told that Tesla would be releasing a CCS adapter soon for North American vehicles. I hope they do that soon.

I was also told that Tesla would be releasing a CCS adapter soon for North American vehicles.

The EV world in general and Tesla in particular have a strange definition of "soon," so unfortunately I don't have high hopes for an adapter this year.

AFAIK, no one has been seen beta-testing an adapter for the SAE Combo plug in North America, so they've probably got a ways to go in the development of the product.

Hey @Doug_G, when and if Tesla does start selling a CCS adapter, will we change the subject of this thread or will we start a new one?

It seems unlikely that Tesla would release a CCS adapter when they already manufacture and sell a CHAdeMO one. All they have to do is enable it to work with Model 3. As has been pointed out, some Tesla-owned Model 3s have already been spotted using the CHAdeMO adapter.

It seems unlikely that Tesla would release a CCS adapter when they already manufacture and sell a CHAdeMO one.

I disagree. They are already making a CCS adapter for Europe, so making one with just different connectors on both sides isn't much extra work. And you get a significant advantage for doing that: 120kW charging vs. 50kW charging. So my guess is that the CHAdeMO adapter will be deprecated and Tesla may even offer a trade-up program to get people to switch to CCS so that they don't have to support the CHAdeMO adapter anymore.

I disagree. They are already making a CCS adapter for Europe, so making one with just different connectors on both sides isn't much extra work. And you get a significant advantage for doing that: 120kW charging vs. 50kW charging. So my guess is that the CHAdeMO adapter will be deprecated and Tesla may even offer a trade-up program to get people to switch to CCS so that they don't have to support the CHAdeMO adapter anymore.

I absolutely agree. Now with Petro Canada and Shell rolling out EV charging across Canada, it would be extremely helpful to get this adapter out, especially before the summer travel months.

Were people seen beta-testing an adapter for the European CCS Combo plug? I'm unaware.

Not that I'm aware, but afaik no adapter has been released yet. The Model 3 there comes with a CCS port, so it doesn't use an adapter.

Five years ago,
non employees of Tesla were seen testing the CHAdeMO adapter over a period of several months before the product was released to the public.

Pleasantly surprised to see that some of the NRCan stations are already under construction in Quebec, for example an Esso on the 138 in Quebec City and a Shell station just outside of Sherbrooke.
2943CACC-784B-474B-87C6-4F7A4F5F84C0.jpeg
F0CA1F6C-679B-4AE1-ACD8-2CF3F8744216.jpeg

I was told by a Tesla Calgary employee that Shell Canada would be following PetroCanada's lead and opening up EV chargers at over 2000 of their gas stations across Canada.

Hmm - while I would love to see this happen, seems odd they would not then apply for the NRCan funding that is still available? 2000 sites is rather agressive and even more than what Petro-Canada is doing.

This was posted in the Model 3 forum... First Look at the Tesla CCS Adapter

CCS adapter is happening!
For Europe. We'd need a completely different adapter because Europe used a Type 2 CCS plug and in North America we use a Type 1 CCS plug, plus in Europe Tesla used a different plug than in North America.

So that adapter adapts from something we don't have here to something else we don't have here... In fact the European Model 3 already has a Type 2 CCS plug and doesn't need an adapter there. That adapter is to connect a Type 2 CCS plug to a European Model S/X.

For Europe. We'd need a completely different adapter because Europe used a Type 2 CCS plug and in North America we use a Type 1 CCS plug, plus in Europe Tesla used a different plug than in North America.

So that adapter adapts from something we don't have here to something else we don't have here... In fact the European Model 3 already has a Type 2 CCS plug and doesn't need an adapter there. That adapter is to connect a Type 2 CCS plug to a European Model S/X.

I'm pretty sure that the adapter shown is a Type 2 CCS to Tesla Type 2 one. What we haven't seen is a Type 1 CCS to Tesla NA adapter.

I'm pretty sure that the adapter shown is a Type 2 CCS to Tesla Type 2 one. What we haven't seen is a Type 1 CCS to Tesla NA adapter.
That is my main concern. I doubt that it is the same logistics as the type 2CCS. I think it will be a while until an actual American adapter is released. Also, just note that in the Electrek article, the images show the adapter being tested at a Supercharger.

As a relative newbie here, not looking to start an unwanted thread, but would the moderator please consider creating a CHAdeMO Yellowhead Highway (I.E. Highway 16 from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Prince Rupert, B.C.) thread to properly track the progress on the various Canadian Tire and other high speed charging stations being planned on this important highway that is not going to be part of the Supercharger network (except Edmonton today) anytime soon? For anyone planning travel on this route, it would be good to easily track CHAdeMO station progress along this route in one thread.

For example, I stopped in at the Lloydminster, AB Canadian Tire store last week to check in on the planned CHAdeMO station and the staff had no idea what I was talking about. That would be good information to know for anyone thinking fast charging is going to be in place this summer.