Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Petro Canada chargers are currently free to use with no signup or app required. They are planning to roll out a payment system in the fall once more chargers come online, but I haven't seen any details yet on what form that will take.
That's pretty nice. Maybe they are doing a market test to see how much convenience store sales they can drive out of a loss leader on the electricity? To get an estimate for how high they have the price the charging to still turn a profit overall.

That's something that Electrify America isn't really set up to do, since they don't have a slice of the retail at their locations.

That's pretty nice. Maybe they are doing a market test to see how much convenience store sales they can drive out of a loss leader on the electricity?.

In some places they may make some sales off EVs that are traveling through, but anywhere near urban areas the free units will be squatted by people who just want free electricity and will not buy much from the stores.

Just curious, what sort of arrangement would you need to pay for charging there? Sign up? App? Just show up with credit card? (Any idea how much they charge?)
Depends on the charger. SunCountry Highway are free to use, just plug it in - no membership, no credit card. Flo and Chargepoint require memberships. Memberships are free, though I think there was a charge to get a physical card. I use my phone. Some Flo and Chargepoint stations require you to pay but it depends on who they partner with. Simons in a mall near me installed solar panels and installed 3 Flo Chargers. 2X J1772 and 1X Chademo / CCS.

Petro Canada chargers are currently free to use with no signup or app required. They are planning to roll out a payment system in the fall once more chargers come online, but I haven't seen any details yet on what form that will take.
This is true, however at the grand opening event one of execs there revealed that the model they are currently leaning towards is time based, as in you’re charged for the length of time spent charging and not the power drawn.
When queried on that, the response was that only power utilities can charge per kilowatt hour, thus most charging networks use time instead. I believe he said it was driven by governmental policy (charging per unit of power being utility companies only) but I wasn’t a part of the conversation, so I might have misunderstood.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Depends on the charger. SunCountry Highway are free to use, just plug it in - no membership, no credit card. Flo and Chargepoint require memberships. Memberships are free, though I think there was a charge to get a physical card. I use my phone. Some Flo and Chargepoint stations require you to pay but it depends on who they partner with. Simons in a mall near me installed solar panels and installed 3 Flo Chargers. 2X J1772 and 1X Chademo / CCS.
I got my Flo card for free after I added funds to my Flo account the first time.

I just received my Chademo adapter. This thing is huge. I'm just waiting for the firmware update and I will test it out on one of BC hydro free Chademo station. I've noticed there's a lot of new charging station coming this 2019 going up North to Prince George and also Jasper Narional Park.

Attachments

• chademo.jpg
    chademo.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 69
This is true, however at the grand opening event one of execs there revealed that the model they are currently leaning towards is time based, as in you’re charged for the length of time spent charging and not the power drawn.
When queried on that, the response was that only power utilities can charge per kilowatt hour, thus most charging networks use time instead. I believe he said it was driven by governmental policy (charging per unit of power being utility companies only) but I wasn’t a part of the conversation, so I might have misunderstood.
The rules have been changed, at least in BC. Non utility charging stations can charge per kW/h now but I think then the metering needs to be certified (by Industry Canada?) and time based fees avoid this. (It does make me wonder how fine a line Tesla is walking with their 2 tier rate based on kW draw.)

Reactions: Vawlkus

This is correct, only power companies can charge by the kWh in Canada. This is also why all Canadian superchargers are time, and not power, based.

A few months ago I wrote letters to both the Federal and Provincial levels of government explaining why this is an impediment to widespread electric vehicle adoption, and why a waiver for ev chargers should be introduced.

I suggest anyone else passionate about EVs should too.

This is correct, only power companies can charge by the kWh in Canada. This is also why all Canadian superchargers are time, and not power, based.

A few months ago I wrote letters to both the Federal and Provincial levels of government explaining why this is an impediment to widespread electric vehicle adoption, and why a waiver for ev chargers should be introduced.

I suggest anyone else passionate about EVs should too.
Where are you. As I mentioned, in BC they can already charge by the kWh. From the following article:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/electric-vehicle-charging-fees-1.5073079
Municipalities weren't restricted by the Utilities Commission Act when it comes to EV charging fees — they had an exemption. But until last week, there was a rule prohibiting third parties from reselling electricity. That's been lifted.

What does that mean? It means businesses can set up EV charging stations and ask you to pay a fee of their choice when you roll up in search of a top-up.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
I just received my Chademo adapter. This thing is huge. I'm just waiting for the firmware update and I will test it out on one of BC hydro free Chademo station. I've noticed there's a lot of new charging station coming this 2019 going up North to Prince George and also Jasper Narional Park.

Is that a Chademo Adapter in your frunk, or are you just happy to see me? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: sumiguchi
They appear to be more transparent than Tesla in indicating which sites will come online next (though that's not saying much).

Some of the "Coming Soon" locations are in West or Mid-Canada.

EV Fast Charge car charging stations

I wonder what they mean by “fast easy activation”. Swipe card? I already have 5 swipe cards in my EV wallet. Guess I can find room for another. :).