Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a chance to test out the new Petro-Canada chargers out at Aldersyde this afternoon with my Model 3. When I arrived to test them out it was fenced off and a crew was installing stickers to one of the stations. One of the workers moved the fencing to allow me to test on the other station.

The experience was like any other Level 3 station. I liked the UI experience that Petro-Canada has implemented. Very clear and intuitive. I topped out at 50kW, which is the limit of the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. The station is capable of up to 250kW according to the worker I spoke to. They are opening 6 charging stations in Alberta for now, and he told me charging would be free for 2 years.

View attachment 456313
Highly doubt free for anymore than 6-months. If it is I'm certainly not complaining.

PC website quote "Until this fall you can use our DC fast chargers for free. "

That is technically this weekend.

Have a charger 5 minutes from my home and they have an A&W. Why not.

Reactions: GlenM
The Wawa and Espanola Petro-Canada chargers will be ready for testing tomorrow. Contact Petro via PlugShare if you are willing to test out the charger with your car. If you do, please check on the upcoming Superchargers as well!
9BAAB1F6-1DFB-461C-8A7A-AC75AF306BFC.jpeg

Reactions: lukex4
Has anyone ever heard of “Ivy”??? This seems like a new charging network in Ontario, which has just opened 2 fast chargers at the Swiss Chalet in Huntsville, ON. Photo from PlugShare
C220CF94-B340-402B-83F6-5C6A98C45476.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Never heard of them, but the Hanes address corresponds with one of the NRC supported Hydro-One sites.

NRC updated their site recently for the first time in three months. I haven't checked, but maybe more of the Hydro One addresses are actually accurate now like this one.

View attachment 462778
Saw this on my Google News feed:
OPG, Hydro One shake up Ontario's fast-charging landscape with launch of Ivy | Electric Autonomy Canada

Ontario Power Generation and Hydro One are the co-owners of Ontario Charging Network LP, which is the parent company of Ivy Charging Network.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
Has anyone experienced sudden charge rate drop with the chademo adapter? It's happened a few times to me now, all at the same station fyi (my local IKEA). After say 20 min or so, the charge rate drops to around 11 kw. I'm wondering if that's something wrong with my adaptor. Today I went back to the station and stopped the session, then let it all sit for 2 min and re started, and then I immediately went to 47-48 kw.

This has happened before at the same charger, but stopping/starting the session (without waiting) didn't have an effect, but moving to a different station did. So I'm still trying to understand what is going on here. Curious if others see anything similar. This also happened on both v9 and v10 software, and as my signature shows its on an AWD model 3.

One last question while I'm here: I noticed that the full charge rate also takes about 15-20 min to start being recieved by the car. Like there is some pack heating happening at the beginning of each session...ie, the station will be pushing 43 kw when the session starts, but the tesla only reports a rate of 36-37 kw at the car. Later in the session, the tesla reported rate matches the station output...ie tesla reports 47-48 kw rate and station is at 120A/395V.

Has anyone experienced sudden charge rate drop with the chademo adapter? It's happened a few times to me now, all at the same station fyi (my local IKEA). After say 20 min or so, the charge rate drops to around 11 kw. I'm wondering if that's something wrong with my adaptor. Today I went back to the station and stopped the session, then let it all sit for 2 min and re started, and then I immediately went to 47-48 kw.

I have not had a similar experience. I have not charged at IKEA though. I charge at BC Hydro stations and at Greenlots.