Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CANADIAN Facelift DRL/Headlight Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
Had a loaner P100D-L the other day while my 2013 Model S was in the shop.

I noticed the small green "Headlight On" indicator on the center dash was on all the time, even in the daytime. On my car it is off during the day when only the DRLs are running. The indicator would stay on even if I manually turned the headlights off.

This caused me to further investigate the headlights. It appears to me that the facelift cars just use the regular low-beam LED headlights as DRLs during the daytime and no longer have the parking light "eyebrow" DRL . The "eyebrow" only seems to operate at the lower parking light level now.

Have I got this right, or was there perhaps something wrong with the loaner I had? Personally, I don't care for this "new look" from an aesthetic point of view.

Had a loaner P100D-L the other day while my 2013 Model S was in the shop.

I noticed the small green "Headlight On" indicator on the center dash was on all the time, even in the daytime. On my car it is off during the day when only the DRLs are running. The indicator would stay on even if I manually turned the headlights off.

This caused me to further investigate the headlights. It appears to me that the facelift cars just use the regular low-beam LED headlights as DRLs during the daytime and no longer have the parking light "eyebrow" DRL . The "eyebrow" only seems to operate at the lower parking light level now.

Have I got this right, or was there perhaps something wrong with the loaner I had? Personally, I don't care for this "new look" from an aesthetic point of view.

You have it right, daytime running lights just mean keep the lights on all the time. I had the P85+ before my P100DL and noticed the same thing.

You have it right, daytime running lights just mean keep the lights on all the time.

I never checked, but does it keep the tail lights, side marker lights etc. all on during the day too, or just the headlights, activating the others after dark like pre-facelift cars?

There has been talk that Canada is going to change DRL regulations to simply require the full lighting system be on all the time. This is meant to address the boneheads who drive cars with non-automatic headlights at night and forget to turn their full lighting system on.

I never checked, but does it keep the tail lights, side marker lights etc. all on during the day too, or just the headlights, activating the others after dark like pre-facelift cars?

There has been talk that Canada is going to change DRL regulations to simply require the full lighting system be on all the time. This is meant to address the boneheads who drive cars with non-automatic headlights at night and forget to turn their full lighting system on.

When it’s in DRL mode only the lowbeams are on, tail lights and side markers turn on when it gets dark.

• Informative
Reactions: mknox