Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Federal EV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Canadian EV rebate program was first announced on March 19, 2019 as part of the Federal Budget. It excluded the cheapest Tesla Model 3. I purchased my Model 3 (S+ with 385km range) in April after giving up hope that it would qualify under the new federal rebate.
The program was subsequently revised in May to include the Model 3 (S+ with 385 km range). Apparently the 150 km version was just a rumour. I therefore missed out on the rebate.
I believe that the rebate should be retroactive for those who made their purchases in the period between the initial announcement and the revision of the program.
Is there a program of providing retroactive rebates for people like me?

The new Canadian EV rebate program was first announced on March 19, 2019 as part of the Federal Budget. It excluded the cheapest Tesla Model 3. I purchased my Model 3 (S+ with 385km range) in April after giving up hope that it would qualify under the new federal rebate.
The program was subsequently revised in May to include the Model 3 (S+ with 385 km range). Apparently the 150 km version was just a rumour. I therefore missed out on the rebate.
I believe that the rebate should be retroactive for those who made their purchases in the period between the initial announcement and the revision of the program.
Is there a program of providing retroactive rebates for people like me?

Unfortunately, you are out of luck. I've never seen a rebate program be retroactive. Depending on when you picked up you 'might' be able to return to tesla and buy a new one if you are within 7 days of pickup.

It sucks, but the logic about not being retroactive is you made the decision to buy the car without needing the incentive/rebate.

Last edited:
I sympathize with OP, to a limited extent. It is frustrating to make a decision only to discover that a short delay would have resulted in significant advantage.

I don’t think it is correct to state, “The program was subsequently revised in May to include the Model 3 (S+ with 385 km range).“ I think it is more accurate to say that Tesla figured out a way to qualify for the program.

I have been wanting to buy an EV for several years. In the past year or so, in my mind I have settled on a Tesla Model 3. I haven't been able to yet, but I’m saving my money. By the time I am able to buy a Model 3 though, the Model Y might be available and I’ll have to keep saving! :)

I’ll buy when I can and hope that there will still be some support from one or more level of government. But if there isn’t, I’ll still buy when I can and not anticipate to benefit from something that is not available when I buy.