Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everybody,
What are my fellow Canadians/Ontarians doing for Insurance.
I just heard from Innova, Costco's Insurance Broker, that they will not insure the Model X because of the self-driving capability.
Any help here would be fantastic.
Thank you kindly,
Nick

I think it's because they view the concept of self driving as risky because it's not self driving. It's a driver assistance suite but unfortunately some people are acting like they have FSD, causing accidents,sometimes catastrophic.

On top of that, tesla has a reputation of taking forever to fix the cars and the insurers are on the hook not only for repair costs but also rental cars for weeks etc.

So I get it. It's early.

That fatal Tesla accident was over a year ago and you haven't heard of any accidents since then. And even then the deaths/ miles driven was safer for autopilot then for other vehicles. If there have been no additional deaths since then you would have to say that autopilot is WAY safer than human drivers.

I'm looking at signing with RBC car insurance.

I originally had a broker, but they said no one they had would insure my Tesla except some company I've never heard of who wanted triple the money any other quote I've gotten since.