Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you dealing with RBC or Aviva? I have a feeling their policies are quite different.

I did nothing special but I have been with them for about 10 years and I'm on my second Tesla with them.
Well initially it started off with RBC and now I’m with Aviva due to the insurance unit offloading from RBC. I guess I’ll give Aviva a call to see what’s going on. Hopefully I can get the same rate. Thanks for your help.

Intact Insurance here.

My rates dropped surprisingly and substantially when I switched from a Volvo C30 to a Model S in 2014. Rates didn’t change much when I went from Model S to Model X in 2016.

I am happy but haven’t had to make a claim yet. I’ll ditto the earlier comment about Intact letting you Uber if you so desire.

I would avoid in nova which is basically AVIVA insurance. They are worst in the industry. For sure they will take your money now but if you get in an accident they are the worst in paying for care and benefits. They will take you to court but not pay. I am in the rehab industry and I see it all the time.
TDMM is way better.

• Disagree
Reactions: Struja and Jaff
I would avoid in nova which is basically AVIVA insurance. They are worst in the industry. For sure they will take your money now but if you get in an accident they are the worst in paying for care and benefits. They will take you to court but not pay. I am in the rehab industry and I see it all the time.
TDMM is way better.

You need to remember that you are only speaking of your experience with them in your profession, which is only a small part of rating an insurance company's total performance.

As a broker, my concerns include my clients being fairly and properly looked after.

I totally disagree with your statements above. Aviva has fair prices, services, and products imo.

I do not have a contract to write insurance with Aviva.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG and Struja
What is the feeling on deductibles for those of you in the know?

My personal opinion is that you don't buy insurance for an item that you can afford to insure yourself. For example, don't buy the extended warranty when you buy a $100 printer at Best Buy. I would think that this also extends to cars - doesn't it make sense to have a higher deductible for your car if you can afford a $1000 loss? Why not have a $1000 or higher deductible, especially when making a claim may cause your rates to go up. Or am I missing something here?

Reactions: Jaff and iKhalid
You need to remember that you are only speaking of your experience with them in your profession, which is only a small part of rating an insurance company's total performance.

As a broker, my concerns include my clients being fairly and properly looked after.

I totally disagree with your statements above. Aviva has fair prices, services, and products imo.

I do not have a contract to write insurance with Aviva.

Brokers have a big responsibility in educating the client about the product they sell which is not been done. You might be only worried about selling the product. My opinion is about after the fact there is an accident. Brokers don’t do anything after the accident. In fact people are upset at their broker for lack of info that was provided

Brokers have a big responsibility in educating the client about the product they sell which is not been done. You might be only worried about selling the product. My opinion is about after the fact there is an accident. Brokers don’t do anything after the accident. In fact people are upset at their broker for lack of info that was provided

As a Broker, I educate my customers about what products are available to meet their needs, and shop the market for these products.

I give our clients recommendations about the financial stability of the underwriters, and their overall reputation for price competitiveness and claims performance based on my experience. The decision about which product to purchase, and which underwriter to purchase from is the client's decision. If the client chooses not to purchase increased coverages under the Accident Benefit section of the policy, that is their prerogative.

While not all brokers perform these tasks well, the overwhelming majority do. Brokers are heavily regulated, and the system will expose brokers who do not perform up to industry standards.

The rehab industry is not without their own serious problems.

The Financial Services Commission of Ontario ( Fighting Auto Insurance Fraud: What You Can Do ) explains that fraud costs us all, because adding to the cost of auto insurance claims increases the premiums we have to pay.

Amongst the fraudulent practices from the rehab industry are participating as an accessory in staged accidents...( Staged Auto Accidents: Protect Yourself from this Fraud )

"If you are Injured and Receive Treatment from Health Care Providers
Some insurance fraud involves health service providers, such as chiropractors, acupuncturists or physiotherapists, falsifying records of health treatments with or without your knowledge. This allows fraudsters to get payment for health care services that were never provided."

Of course, other areas of rehab fraud exist and are more common such as recommending unnecessary and extraneous treatment plans. Regardless, no system is perfect. there will always be some folks who will try to game the system for financial reward.

I do not know why you specifically have a problem with Aviva...I suspect you have had disagreements with them in the past.

A few things to consider though...if you do not think Brokers hear about complaints from their clientele with respect to Accident Benefit claims, you are naive.

If you do not think Brokers act on their clients behalf when these complaints are received, you are sadly mistaken.

It is wrong of you to believe that you will be immune to disagreements with any one insurance company. There are many variables to all bodily injury claims...no one company is best overall, just as no one company is worst overall...they are all governed by the same act of parliament and must follow the same rules.

If Aviva was as bad as you portray, then why are they the second largest underwriter in Canada with 8% market share?

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Insurance is tricky, everyone gets different rates based on many factors. When we changed insurance provider two years ago I called many companies for quotes. I found rbc Wich is Aviva to have lowest rates for us, I have a few friends who also say rbc was lowest. We pay I believe around $260 a month for the X and a 2013 Lexus GS. Deductible on the X is $5000 though. Cause it's above a certain cost they say.

Accident forgiveness for first incident, and full vehicle replacement for two years. For the battery they don't give full cost though. Also includes rental car insurance if we rent cars on holidays and such.
I have been with TD before, they were very expensive. Like I said earlier everyone is different, you have to call and get quotes.
You get discount for winter tires, alarm, if it's parked inside etc.

Happy with Rbc/Aviva

Reactions: Jaff
If Aviva was as bad as you portray, then why are they the second largest underwriter in Canada with 8% market share?

What does company size or market share have to do with the way a company treats their clients? Bell and Rogers have 100% of the market share, do you think they are good to their customers?

I believe Aviva has had more successful bad faith claims against them than any other insurer in Ontario. They are awful to their clients, I see it everyday. Wawanesa and State Farm/Desjardins a close 2nd and third.

I am with TD MM but The Co-Operators are the best company towards their clients by a country mile. Expensive but very reasonable in dealing with their clients.

Reactions: Electric_Zen
What does company size or market share have to do with the way a company treats their clients? Bell and Rogers have 100% of the market share, do you think they are good to their customers?

I believe Aviva has had more successful bad faith claims against them than any other insurer in Ontario. They are awful to their clients, I see it everyday. Wawanesa and State Farm/Desjardins a close 2nd and third.

I am with TD MM but The Co-Operators are the best company towards their clients by a country mile. Expensive but very reasonable in dealing with their clients.

Thank you. It’s not just I who have seen that AVIVA is garbage there are others.
I am just giving my opinion about what we I see in our industry after an accident which is what is important. Which is what they promise they will do after the accident, which is why we pay insurance for protection Just in case we get into accident. They lie

Also brokers point about accident fraud. FSCO charges clinics money to regulate us and guess how many fraud they have found in recent years. NONE.
It’s a cash grand. Just to mKe insurance companies look good guys. And brokers benefit a lot from it. Brokers sell product. That they make money from

Also Aviva is doing well because it’s the cheapest insurance in most cases and basically they are promising people which they won’t deliver

With all due respect, all of your statements above are anecdotal and unsupported.

Market size matters, because if a company was as "god-awful bad" as some including you suggest, over time, consumers, and brokers would bail from them en masse. Of course, this hasn't happened.

Your personal experience may lead you to anecdotally conclude that Aviva "has had more successful bad faith claims against them than any other insurer in Ontario", but I think you need to cite your sources supporting such a strong statement . Please make sure that you adjust your results on a per capita basis.

Bell & Rogers do not have 100% market share at least as far back in 2015...(I'm not wasting any more time looking for more recent data)...Telus is #2, Bell is #3, Wind Mobile is #4, and Mobilicity is #5 ( Top 5 Cell Phone Companies in Canada - A Review)

I do not know how or what industry you work in that you interact with Aviva on a daily basis, but you, just as Roger, fail to realize that your experience is limited to your interactions with Aviva within your own industry.

The same is true of Auto Body Shops, Fire restoration contractors, etc.

I'll just leave you with one anecdotal story...after 34 years in this industry, you should hear the way that contractors complain about State Farm...

Thank you. It’s not just I who have seen that AVIVA is garbage there are others.
I am just giving my opinion about what we I see in our industry after an accident which is what is important. Which is what they promise they will do after the accident, which is why we pay insurance for protection Just in case we get into accident. They lie

Also brokers point about accident fraud. FSCO charges clinics money to regulate us and guess how many fraud they have found in recent years. NONE.
It’s a cash grand. Just to mKe insurance companies look good guys. And brokers benefit a lot from it. Brokers sell product. That they make money from

Also Aviva is doing well because it’s the cheapest insurance in most cases and basically they are promising people which they won’t deliver

It's your opinion Roger, and you're entitled to it. Personally, I like to look at the big picture before making a purchase.

I would not choose a car to buy, based on the recommendation of a tire company salesman.

The tire salesman may know his market and his product o service very well, but he does not know enough of the pertinent details about the entire car, that I would allow his input about tires to unduly sway my purchase decision. His input is pertinent to some of my buying decision, but insufficient to overall govern my buying result.

I would certainly challenge you to argue that your industry (rehab) is in a better position to broadly recommend insurance products and services compared to an Insurance broker.

Again, you do realize that all auto insurance companies in Ontario are governed by the same rules, right?

FSCO also governs Ontario's Insurance Brokers through RIBO, and we also are charged for this governance through a fee schedule.

FSCO (Financial Services Commission of Ontario) also governs the actions of all insurance companies in Ontario.

I'm assuming here, but I think you can understand the legitimacy to your industry that your compliance with FSCO's rules brings. They bring the same legitimacy to Insurance Brokers.

Why then is FSCO's governance of both of our industries satisfactory for us (with respect to the public's protection), but it is insufficient (in your eyes) when protecting the public from Insurance companies?

I'm not quite sure how you feel brokers benefit from the fact that FSCO charges you a fee to ensure that you are in compliance with the consumer protection laws the FSCO mandates.

Also, here are a few links to recent stories of Auto Insurance fraud from recent years....

Car insurance scam: 37 arrested in Project Whiplash raids | Toronto Star

Undercover video provides rare glimpse into possible auto insurance fraud

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It's like anything else guys, car manufacturers included...

No one company will perform to their clients satisfaction 100% of the time. When you've run your own business as long as I have, you realize that the phrase "you can't please them all" is a truism.

Sometimes you drop the ball, some customers just expect way too much.

Reactions: Shaz and Doug_G