Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian International Auto Show - Green Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the show is over, and I'm preparing to drive my Roadster back to Ottawa. First stop is Peterborough to use the charger at Berc's Steakhouse.

Thanks to Kent, Chris, Spenser, Jessie from Sun Country Highway; Hans and Sarah from Tesla; Mark and Russ from Via; and Dave from Clipper Creek for helping make the show feel much more like fun than work.

I'm sure many of you will realize that the Sun Country Highway chargers look rather familiar. That's because they're the distributors for Clipper Creek in Canada - also known as the manufacturers of the Tesla Roadster's HPC:

photo.JPG

And a last nod to Toronto - the view from my hotel room...

photo.JPG

Future Model X Owner

Very interesting read and I am happy to hear that there are charging options between Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto! How long did it take you to fully charge? How did you pay? Are you aware of any more chargers being installed?

Very interesting read and I am happy to hear that there are charging options between Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto! How long did it take you to fully charge? How did you pay? Are you aware of any more chargers being installed?

No, I didn't have to pay. I did have a very nice lunch, though. The charger at Berc's is unfortunately 30A; Sun Country Highway had wanted to install 70A but the restaurant didn't have enough power. I needed a couple of hours to get enough juice. Due to its location it's faster when traveling West - you need nearly a partial range-mode charge to get to Ottawa with a little margin, but just a partial charge to get to Toronto.

A new charger is about to be installed in Kingston; they are planning on 70A.

Tesla is talking about installing their "Superchargers" (and HPCs) along the 401. By the time you have your Model X they should have been there a while.

Nice job helping out at the TIAS Doug & thanks for all the pictures & reports!

Sorry I had to miss it all, or I would have been there to see it & help out (if I could)...(the TIAS coincided with the University of Guelph's "reading week" :cursing: so I was told that I had to miss the show as I would be in Key Largo with my family). ...I'm sure it was a blast and it sounds like you experienced great success in moving the EV (and TMC) cause forward! :smile:

Just a side note...I think Ontario will be mothballing it's last coal fired plant in 2014...not sure when the other provinces will follow this initiative...pretty sure as Doug mentioned that most of the electricity sent to the U.S. comes from the James Bay Hydro electric plant in Quebec...

About 60% of Canada's electricity is produced by hydroelectric/wind/tidal so it makes sense - compared with only 6% in the US. Most of the electricity in the US is produced by coal (45%) and natural gas (24%).

ARCHIVED - PDF document

Electricity in the United States - Energy Explained, Your Guide To Understanding Energy

Didn't take you long to notice - that went up yesterday!

I still have my own business - that is not going to change - but I've agreed to join them as a consultant. Over the last couple of years I've come to believe that EVs will be extremely important for our future economic and ecological sustainability. This is an opportunity to help make it happen.

I still have my own business - that is not going to change - but I've agreed to join them as a consultant. Over the last couple of years I've come to believe that EVs will be extremely important for our future economic and ecological sustainability. This is an opportunity to help make it happen.

Smart decision of that company!
Too many implementers of charging-infrastructure just do not know what EV-drivers need!
They just think : "goldrush"!
There is a possibility of making money with charging-infrastructure, but not by just putting slow-chargers at every corner! ;-)

you should tell them to fix their image of the Model S ... they are using a Roadster instead.

As I understand it, Manitoba has legislation that will not allow anyone but Manitoba Hydro to sell electricity. Unless this legislation is changed, MB Hydro will need to be the ones to implement level three charging stations. Businesses could of course put in their own charging stations for the use of patrons so long as they do not charge for the energy.

KBF... are you familiar with MEVA (Manitoba Electric Vehicle Association http://www.manitobaev.ca)? Check us out. Would like to see you at a meeting.

Rob

So, Doug, did the auto show get you a new job at Sun Country? I'm assuming you're the "Douglas G" on their "about us" page. Looks good to me ... are you planning any infrastructure for Manitoba?

My understanding is that Manitoba has legislation that allows only Manitoba Hydro to sell electricity. Unless this were to be changed, it would be left to MB Hydro to set up level three charging stations. Businesses could install their own chargers for the use of patrons, but could not charge for the energy.

KBF.... Are you familiar with MEVA (Manitoba Electric Vehicle Association http://www.manitobaev.ca)? Would like to meet you at a meeting sometime.

Rob

So, Doug, did the auto show get you a new job at Sun Country? I'm assuming you're the "Douglas G" on their "about us" page. Looks good to me ... are you planning any infrastructure for Manitoba?