Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian invites coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy is a non owner and could easily get away with the smaller battery, and that's what he would order if it were available today. The way we broke it down was, since the rebate and the battery upgrade with HST are virtually the same amount, by waiting he is risking losing a free battery upgrade if the rebate is killed. If the rebate survives, he is getting an amazing deal on a 3. Plus, the build quality will certainly be better next year. He's waiting for short range, even if rebate is gone.

That's how I broke it down as well. The rebate covers the upgraded battery. The only thing I'm potentially losing out on is Dual Motors.

My buddy is a non owner and could easily get away with the smaller battery, and that's what he would order if it were available today. The way we broke it down was, since the rebate and the battery upgrade with HST are virtually the same amount, by waiting he is risking losing a free battery upgrade if the rebate is killed. If the rebate survives, he is getting an amazing deal on a 3. Plus, the build quality will certainly be better next year. He's waiting for short range, even if rebate is gone.
Interesting way to look at it, and I think there is a good deal of truth there. The one negative for waiting is that if you get a free battery upgrade, so to speak, that means you’ve gotten a higher value car. If your body is planning on keeping it for, say, 4 years, the LR will be worth more at resale.

Still, that’s food for thought.

Interesting way to look at it, and I think there is a good deal of truth there. The one negative for waiting is that if you get a free battery upgrade, so to speak, that means you’ve gotten a higher value car. If your body is planning on keeping it for, say, 4 years, the LR will be worth more at resale.

Still, that’s food for thought.
True.... He's likely to keep for life tho.
AWD would be nice, but not for 7 or 8k after HST.

Only thing is the resale value of the car will be higher if he gets the bigger battery. I would hate to get the Short range battery and not get the rebate. You're missing out of 5-10K of approx value when you move on to another car down the road potentially.

But if he gets the rebate and gets Short range....then he's hit the jackpot for sure!

I ordered even if I wanted AWD as I really need this car. Will eventually trade-in for AWD.
Please keep us posted on updates to your order. For some of us March 31,2106 ONT non-owners who may only get invites in x weeks, it'll be important to know how quickly in the 4-8 week range Tesla quoted you that you actually get the VIN, delivery date and actual delivery. If I feel I can't make it in time before the Conservatives get in power in June, I'll wait for AWD and SR.. If I believe I can order and take delivery in time for 14K rebate, I'll order RDW,LR. I suspect I'm not alone in these decision considerations.

Ok. I'll post when I'll have any status update to share such as VIN, delivery date, etc.

Please keep us posted on updates to your order. For some of us March 31,2106 ONT non-owners who may only get invites in x weeks, it'll be important to know how quickly in the 4-8 week range Tesla quoted you that you actually get the VIN, delivery date and actual delivery. If I feel I can't make it in time before the Conservatives get in power in June, I'll wait for AWD and SR.. If I believe I can order and take delivery in time for 14K rebate, I'll order RDW,LR. I suspect I'm not alone in these decision considerations.

According to this forum and Reddit, really 90% of Canadian who receives invite will like to wait to AWD, or even SR. If that’s the case, will Tesla send more invites to Canada and starting covering non owner or even reserved a bit later? I do think Tesla does not want to start a different model at their manufacturing line at this time, and Tesla do like to help Ontarian to get rebate.

BTW, I decided that I will pull the trigger whenever I get the invitation but I may not get one until rebate is over.( non owner reserved Jan 2017).

• Helpful
Reactions: Lon12
For some reason my email invite got sent to my emergency contact. My emergency contact forwarded me the email.

Decisions, Decisions! Sat on it for two days and decided this morning.

I Ordered a Silver Model 3 with sport wheels.

My P85 is up for sale starting now.

I felt a compelling need for this car.
Pro’s 1) 100+ more km of range is a must to calm winter range anxiety. 2) New car smell 3) Smaller and lighter and more efficient. 4) more minimalistic. 5) New warranty

Con’s 1) Less 0-100 umph 2) Half the cargo room 4) P85 is gorgeous and in almost perfect condition.

Paul - Ottawa

For some reason my email invite got sent to my emergency contact. My emergency contact forwarded me the email.

Pro’s 1) 100+ more km of range is a must to calm winter range anxiety. 2) New car smell 3) Smaller and lighter and more efficient. 4) more minimalistic. 5) New warranty

Con’s 1) Less 0-100 umph 2) Half the cargo room 4) P85 is gorgeous and in almost perfect condition.

Paul - Ottawa

I forgot to mention that another compelling reason to pull the trigger instead of waiting for dual motors is the potential loss of the $14,000 rebate. If the rebate goes away, then the dual motors would cost me the upgrade plus 14k. Don’t need dual motors for that price.

I could be totally wrong here, but if Tesla is building the same exact car for both rwd and awd, then I think there is a possibility of a retrofit in the future.

It seems to me that the base of the car is exactly the same, with the spot for the front motor being empty in rwd cars. So I don't see it as an impossible task to fit the front motor in a rwd car in the future.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
I could be totally wrong here, but if Tesla is building the same exact car for both rwd and awd, then I think there is a possibility of a retrofit in the future.

It seems to me that the base of the car is exactly the same, with the spot for the front motor being empty in rwd cars. So I don't see it as an impossible task to fit the front motor in a rwd car in the future.

I’d say it’s not impossible, but given Tesla’s history of retrofits, they will not offer it. Some one will need to do it on their own.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

Hate to say it but you're totally wrong. FWD to AWD retrofit isn't happening in anyones wildest dreams

Paul - Ottawa

Another con would be loss of free supercharging, if that's important to you.

Paul - Ottawa
I've 'heard' (not confirmed) that if you want to sell your P85 private and want to reduce your sales tax on new car, Tesla will do the transfer to your private buyer and reduce your new car sales tax. Tesla charge $500 for doing this but it'll save a lot more to you in taxes ...

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12 and Tony_YYZ