TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Canadian Keyboard - ".COM" dedicated button changed to ".CA"

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SlyWombat, Jun 3, 2015.

1. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

I have noticed that the keyboard when entering a url in the web browser now has ".CA" instead of the dedicated ".COM" button on the keyboard. This is a big waste of a change that came in the 6.X software updates. I assume in Hong Kong it is ".HK"? or ".CO.UK" in London?

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

3. green1

green1 Active Member

It shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the Canadian market, the assumption that we would be more likely to use .ca than .com would make sense if Canadian companies actually used .ca more often than .com, but they don't.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yeah, I find that annoying too. Very few, if any sites I would go to are .ca domains

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agreed. We don't use .ca at all for our company. It's all .com

6. swrving

swrving Member

Just hold down on on the .ca and other options appear. Not saying it shouldn't be customizable, but if this is the biggest issue with the car, then things aren't that bad.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It isn't. It's just a small issue that wasn't broken in the first place.

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Well, it does show that Tesla Engineering is getting more and more out of touch with their customer base. The communication channels that used to exist are pretty much entirely eroded by now.

That's sad - that level of customer->sales/support->engineering isolation doesn't belong in 21st century business.

You can actually chat these days online with Microsoft engineers & program managers about virtually any aspect of any product (if you have something of substance to say). And they sell thousands of times the volume than Tesla does. Somehow the official Evil Empire can find the time to talk directly to their customers, but Tesla can't. There isn't even a single Tesla Engineering blogger.

9. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

Well, I cant remember if I updated the firmware in the car before I posted at the start (yeah I know it was only 4 days ago, but I did have a car update in the last week). But hooray, now the default button is back to ".COM".

And if this was a remote setting, congrats to those Telsa employees that lurk on these boards. Either way, thanks.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Back to .com for me too after the latest firmware update. Much better.

11. SlyWombat

SlyWombat Member

....and I did learn from this post holding the key down gives all other other common options. Thanks @swrving

12. swrving

swrving Member

No worries, I stumbled up on that when they had that brief switch to .ca as default since iOS offers the same hold and get more options feature, and sure enough it worked.