Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian LTE upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car goes in for its 4 year service in December, I'm considering paying the $650 to get the LTE upgrade added while it's in the shop. I'm in Edmonton but do a fair bit of rural driving out to north-eastern Alberta as well as into Saskatchewan. The city Tesla owners here seem to be happy with LTE but there aren't many that do much rural driving. I'm curious to hear about the LTE experience in those situations.

There is an easy way to test LTE and see what performance/stability improvements you would get.
Just turn on your smart phone WIFI hotspot and connect the Tesla to that.
You will then see the differences.

Personally, I have a very stable hot spot, and it generally works better than the car 3g.
My wife said she'd like to see us get the LTE upgrade, but we may just trade in the S for the 3 in 18 months, so I don't see the point.
We'll see. For now, if I need a bit more bandwidth, I turn on my phone hotspot, but the vast majority of the time, 3g is plenty.

There is an easy way to test LTE and see what performance/stability improvements you would get.
Just turn on your smart phone WIFI hotspot and connect the Tesla to that.
You will then see the differences.

Personally, I have a very stable hot spot, and it generally works better than the car 3g.
My wife said she'd like to see us get the LTE upgrade, but we may just trade in the S for the 3 in 18 months, so I don't see the point.
We'll see. For now, if I need a bit more bandwidth, I turn on my phone hotspot, but the vast majority of the time, 3g is plenty.
With Software 8.0 you can't hotspot to your phone anymore. Not sure if they will change that as I used to use that from time to time but Tesla removed the capability unless you are parked.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D