TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Canadian Model 3 and Software updates

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Tomayr, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Tomayr

Tomayr Member

I am beginning to wonder how software updates will roll out in the Model 3's in Canada. It appears the model 3's use Rogers for LTE service and we do not have access to WiFi yet except for at a service centre.

Most of us have software version 2018.18.13, but 2018.21.9 is already available. With the lack of wifi, and the assumption that Tesla tries to limit the size of downloads over LTE, how can we force the car to update?

Frustrating as 21.9 appears to bring some nice extra features to EAP

2. McCaesar

McCaesar Member

I got 2018.21.9 Saturday night. It downloaded and installed overnight. When you’re notified it’s ready you can schedule for overnight or do it right away.

• Informative x 1
  3. anderslangen

anderslangen Member

I got version '2018.18.14 add5324' downloaded the day after my delivery.

Anyone else on 2018.18.14?

• Like x 1
  4. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

I just checked and I am.

5. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

I had 2018.20.5 at pickup on June 2nd. 2018.21.9 was available on Friday morning and I kicked off the install at lunch time.

I would characterize the EAP improvements as modest but a solid incremental improvement. Display of adjacent lane vehicles are now present, but everything is a car. Positioning is laggy and visually inaccurate on the display; which is probably irrelevant.

We tried it over a 13km run off highway with one interrupt event when I chickened out coming up to a stopped bus. A bit twitchy, and the lane positioning was a bit more towards the left than I'd do myself.

You could try rebooting the panel/computer. I've done that a couple of times this week for unrelated items and perhaps it help accelerate the updates? Nothing like evidence free coincidence to make me jump to conclusions.

• Like x 2
  6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Canada is no different from the US in this regard (other than different cell carrier). Updates come when they come, and they don’t come to all cars at the same time. Updates roll out over days to a week or more. Small batches are used so if there’s a problem the update can be stopped before it affects the whole fleet. Model S updates have been handled the same way. There is no way for you to force an update until Tesla decides it’s ready to send it to you. Sometimes that’s a good thing as you avoid some bugs that way.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. noicepls

noicepls Kill Urban ICE - Save Polar Ice

I got notified on my Model 3 touchscreen of the available 18.21.9 software update as I got into the car to go home last Friday evening at 7:15 pm EST. I accepted the pre-set update time of 10:15 pm EST, at which time the car was successfully updated while parked in my garage at home.

• Informative x 1
  8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I picked up Tuesday June 5’th. It was 20.5. Updated Friday to 21.9.

9. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I was told by Tesla support last night that 21.9 has been halted as well due to issues.

10. noicepls

noicepls Kill Urban ICE - Save Polar Ice

Tony, did they say what would happen to all those cars (like mine) that have already been updated to 21.9, if there are issues with it? Did they hint regarding the kind of issues?

11. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Because too much hands on the wheel nag .

12. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I tried probing but they wouldn't tell me. They just said that the issue I'm experiencing was much better than what that update was causing. He did let slip that 21.9 was failing during the install for some folks, but wouldn't elaborate on what issues people who successfully installed it were experiencing.

This happens all the time with Tesla updates. 20.5 was also halted after it started rolling out.

• Informative x 1
  13. MG01

MG01 Member

I updated to 21.9 on Saturday. I got kicked out of EAP twice today on my drive to work. it was a little unnerving. It worked fine all last week on the same route.

14. johndorian

johndorian Member

Mines with service right now and I asked to have it updated. Will report back with the version I end up at. Dropped off with 2018.18.13 6a8a06e

15. eros

eros Member

Just got 18.21.9 today. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

16. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

People with problematic updates are generally among the first to get the next update.

17. Munch

Munch Member

Hmm this may explain why last week I got a notice of an update, scheduled it, but there was no signs of anything installed the next morning.

18. johndorian

johndorian Member

Updated to 2018.21.9 after my service today.

19. Rchan88

Rchan88 Member

Got the software 2018.21.9 update this morning . Did not expect to get it so soon. I have not got the chance to try the AP yet. Needed to wait for the car to have PPF before taking the care to highway.

20. mistermatt

mistermatt Member

I took delivery last night with 2018.21.9 installed