Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 and Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am beginning to wonder how software updates will roll out in the Model 3's in Canada. It appears the model 3's use Rogers for LTE service and we do not have access to WiFi yet except for at a service centre.

Most of us have software version 2018.18.13, but 2018.21.9 is already available. With the lack of wifi, and the assumption that Tesla tries to limit the size of downloads over LTE, how can we force the car to update?

Frustrating as 21.9 appears to bring some nice extra features to EAP

I am beginning to wonder how software updates will roll out in the Model 3's in Canada. It appears the model 3's use Rogers for LTE service and we do not have access to WiFi yet except for at a service centre.

Most of us have software version 2018.18.13, but 2018.21.9 is already available. With the lack of wifi, and the assumption that Tesla tries to limit the size of downloads over LTE, how can we force the car to update?

Frustrating as 21.9 appears to bring some nice extra features to EAP

I had 2018.20.5 at pickup on June 2nd. 2018.21.9 was available on Friday morning and I kicked off the install at lunch time.

I would characterize the EAP improvements as modest but a solid incremental improvement. Display of adjacent lane vehicles are now present, but everything is a car. Positioning is laggy and visually inaccurate on the display; which is probably irrelevant.

We tried it over a 13km run off highway with one interrupt event when I chickened out coming up to a stopped bus. A bit twitchy, and the lane positioning was a bit more towards the left than I'd do myself.

You could try rebooting the panel/computer. I've done that a couple of times this week for unrelated items and perhaps it help accelerate the updates? Nothing like evidence free coincidence to make me jump to conclusions.

Canada is no different from the US in this regard (other than different cell carrier). Updates come when they come, and they don’t come to all cars at the same time. Updates roll out over days to a week or more. Small batches are used so if there’s a problem the update can be stopped before it affects the whole fleet. Model S updates have been handled the same way. There is no way for you to force an update until Tesla decides it’s ready to send it to you. Sometimes that’s a good thing as you avoid some bugs that way.

Tony, did they say what would happen to all those cars (like mine) that have already been updated to 21.9, if there are issues with it? Did they hint regarding the kind of issues?
I tried probing but they wouldn't tell me. They just said that the issue I'm experiencing was much better than what that update was causing. He did let slip that 21.9 was failing during the install for some folks, but wouldn't elaborate on what issues people who successfully installed it were experiencing.

This happens all the time with Tesla updates. 20.5 was also halted after it started rolling out.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar