Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 delieveries with LPF packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have there been any confirmation of Canadian Model 3 deliveries with LPF packs? We should be getting close to the point where they shift the SR+ and SR- to LFP, which could have a significant impact on range in winter weather (particularly in cases where you can't plug-in, like parked 8hrs+ at work, outside)

From what I can tell, the only obvious indication may be that the charging instructions no longer mention avoiding charging to 100%, rather that it is "beneficial".

Current batteries are not supposed to charge above 90% or draw down below 20% hence 70%
That is not entirely accurate. Tesla has always stated that it is okay to charge the battery to 100% if that is what is needed to complete the trip. It is not okay to keep the battery at 100% or very close to it for extended periods of time.

It is also okay to, if needed, run the battery down to a state of charge below 20%.

EV owners should not use their battery from 100% down to less than something around 2% except in an emergency.

That applies to all EVs, not just Tesla.

That is not entirely accurate. Tesla has always stated that it is okay to charge the battery to 100% if that is what is needed to complete the trip. It is not okay to keep the battery at 100% or very close to it for extended periods of time.

It is also okay to, if needed, run the battery down to a state of charge below 20%.

EV owners should not use their battery from 100% down to less than something around 2% except in an emergency.

That applies to all EVs, not just Tesla.
Thanks for the clarrification. Fairly new with the EV thing but recommended distance vs. max distance are vastly different. This is the one thing that has irked me with the EV market.

Reactions: Vawlkus
but recommended distance vs. max distance are vastly different. This is the one thing that has irked me with the EV market.
Maybe I am not understanding what you mean by “distance”; do you mean “range”?

If so, I’m not clear on what issue you are referring to. If you mean that using the maximum range of an EV is not ”recommended”, I would say that driving an EV from 100% charge down to near zero is okay if you have to do that to get to where you want to go, but the driver better be certain that a charging station will be available when they get close to zero range.

Which of course also applies to every gasoline car that has ever been made! It’s foolish to drive to the point that the fuel tank gauge reads almost zero (A certain Seinfeld episode notwithstanding… ;-)

Last edited:
I have also come to basically the same conclusion (I am in south Florida) assuming the overall benefits of LFP and charging to 100% are valid. I have a 202 SR+ M3. I am willing to upgrade to a new one since high used car prices make an upgrade cost effective, PROVIDED I could be assured of getting one with an LFP battery. The fact that LFP M3s are coming to Canada raises hope that these will really available and offered in M3s (SR+). I think the LFP is worth the wait.